What's new

IAF UPGRADED MI-35 VS PAF COBRA

Hinds are an amazing machine, just the fact that it can carry troops to the battle boggles mind, and yet its still quite manoverable.

This is incorrect. By all accounts, the Hind is literally a flying tank, with poor manoverability and visibility for the pilots. The only thing it has got going for it is it's straight line speed, which given it's role is almost useless.

regards

This is incorrect. By all accounts, the Hind is literally a flying tank, with poor manoverability and visibility for the pilots. The only thing it has got going for it is it's straight line speed, which given it's role is almost useless.

regards

can you backup your comments ??? ?????

regards

that is not a very good statement . the afghan warriors used to run away even if they cought a glimpse of it .

can you backup your comments ??? ?????

Sure. The following is a short comment by a US Army helicopter pilot who has served in Iraq, Afghanistan and who knows where else:

"It is very vulnerable to heat-seeking manpads.

It makes a crappy troop transport. You can't do efficient fast rope or rappelling insertions. You cannot do SPIE or FRIE extractions. You can't use a bambi bucket or hoist. You cannot perform paradrops. And the troop doors are cumbersome and do not allow for quick exit, when such is needed in a hot LZ.

As a former crew chief - I thought the Mi-24, SUCKED. When you were coming into a tight LZ/PZ you cannot stick your head out and monitor the tail. It is very easy for the pilots to stick that tail rotor into a tree or building. Totally unacceptable.

It's weapon systems were mediocre. Night systems were substandard. Laser designator was 10years behind US/NATO.

The cockpit was inefficient. Cluttered with hundreds of small buttons, pressure gauges, dials, etc... And while the armored bathtub that you sit in, is very nice for protection, it totally obstructs your vision. And again... as a helicopter pilot, you need to know where EVERYTHING around you is.

The pilot controls were horrible. With a helicopter of that size and power... you need better pilot assist systems. SOMETHING needs to relieve the pilot of constantly flying that helicopter! When you are coming in to a hot LZ in a high altitude environment, with high temperatures, and near max payload weight... you don't want the pilot straining to fly that helicopter!"

This is from

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-f...threadid=63221&searchid=63493&s=Mi-24#ID63493

There was a more indepth article but i can't find it at the moment.

There are many other defence articles analysing the Mi-24 out there. Just google and do a search.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Sure. The following is a short comment by a US Army helicopter pilot who has served in Iraq, Afghanistan and who knows where else:

"It is very vulnerable to heat-seeking manpads.

It makes a crappy troop transport. You can't do efficient fast rope or rappelling insertions. You cannot do SPIE or FRIE extractions. You can't use a bambi bucket or hoist. You cannot perform paradrops. And the troop doors are cumbersome and do not allow for quick exit, when such is needed in a hot LZ.

As a former crew chief - I thought the Mi-24, SUCKED. When you were coming into a tight LZ/PZ you cannot stick your head out and monitor the tail. It is very easy for the pilots to stick that tail rotor into a tree or building. Totally unacceptable.

It's weapon systems were mediocre. Night systems were substandard. Laser designator was 10years behind US/NATO.

The cockpit was inefficient. Cluttered with hundreds of small buttons, pressure gauges, dials, etc... And while the armored bathtub that you sit in, is very nice for protection, it totally obstructs your vision. And again... as a helicopter pilot, you need to know where EVERYTHING around you is.

The pilot controls were horrible. With a helicopter of that size and power... you need better pilot assist systems. SOMETHING needs to relieve the pilot of constantly flying that helicopter! When you are coming in to a hot LZ in a high altitude environment, with high temperatures, and near max payload weight... you don't want the pilot straining to fly that helicopter!"

This is from

Forget Fixed Wing! Top 10 Helicopters! — Military Forum | Airliners.net

There was a more indepth article but i can't find it at the moment.

There are many other defence articles analysing the Mi-24 out there. Just google and do a search.

Kind regards

the first two paragraphs make no sense as mi-25/35 was not designed to be a specialized troop transport chopper . it was supposed to be an attack chopper with some troop transport capabalities which it can do flawlessly. secondly its an old report . i said upgraded mi-25 . go through this .

The Mil Mi-35 Upgrade - Himanshu Chauhan [www.bharat-rakshak.com]

the first two paragraphs make no sense as mi-25/35 was not designed to be a specialized troop transport chopper

Tell that to the Russians. They seemed to be quite happy to use it in such a capacity in Chechnya.

An old report you say? That comment was posted in 2007, a lot more recent than your bharat rakshak article I dare say.

I've been through your article and various others. The mi-35 has nothing much more than trumped up avionics. Nothing that improves the underlying problems of poor manoverability and visibility.

Let me give you a bit of background on the guy who made the comment.

He's type rated on the UH-60/OH-58/TH-67. He's served in Iraq and flown combat missions alongside Polish Mi-24 pilots. Being a former crew chief in the US Army, he is more than qualified to make the comments he did. That in itself speaks for his reputation, ability to see and expertise.

If you are still not satisfied, you're more than welcome to trawl through his 1000 odd comments in the military av. forum!

:wave:

that is not a very good statement . the afghan warriors used to run away even if they cought a glimpse of it .
It was before they had access to the FIM-92s. After the FIM-92 arrived in Afghanistan, it was actually other way around.

And finally Pakistan decides to buy Hinds...I hope now the answer is clear which Hele is better.

I believe it would have been a better versus thread if it was,
Mi-35 against sams, manpads,
AH-1 against sams, manpads.

Guys these are helicopters. They do not do air combat like jet fighters. Pit them against sams if you want to make a comparison.

And finally Pakistan decides to buy Hinds...I hope now the answer is clear which Hele is better.

Hind & Cobras can not be compared as both are built on different doctrine of power projection, and Pakistan is not purchasing them for front line anti tank role, they will be use for COIN where it can be using in many ways, specially take back wounded soldiers after CAS missions.

Back
Top Bottom