What's new

ICC Men's Cricket World Cup

Not really. Players at this level have all the help to understand this aspect and not fall for such things.
Aussies, planned it very well and their strategy catered for each player. They implemented it very well and came out on top.

Those MFs are one tough nut to crack. Bravo to them.
Ciummins has shown exceptional leadership bro - india maybe lost couple of wickets too early and travis head played next level. Doesn’t change the fact India played super cricket last 4 weeks - just to be pipped at the post

You guys have very low standards. Maryam ? Seriously?
If she is hot for you, there's a problem.
don't want to make this thread political.. they'll be other spicy ones to spar on I'm sure

I'll tag you in those

India lost to the conditions, but could they have been braver with the bat?​

As they come to terms with another World Cup heartbreak, India may wonder if they could have done more to offset the disadvantage of dew

Sidharth Monga
19-Nov-2023

It hurts. The ones who will not play another World Cup will be hurting even more. The morning after will be even worse. It is good they have their families with them. There's more to life than a World Cup. They will need that reinforced come Monday morning when there is no training to go to. The ones who don't have families with them will need their team-mates to do the reinforcing for them.

That is the cruel nature of a league-knockout hybrid format. It will hurt India more than any team knocked out earlier in the tournament. That's the price you pay: to fight for the biggest joy, you must risk the biggest heartbreak. It will hurt them more than it can hurt anyone on the outside.

All those runs and wickets will feel empty just like the stands emptied by people who had already moved onto more mundane things like avoiding traffic jams. All the joy and the noise they had bathed in for a month-and-a-half suddenly gave way to a hollow hum. Rohit scored more runs than any captain ever has in one tournament. Kohli scored more than any batter ever has. Shami was the highest wicket-taker despite not playing four matches. These facts mean nothing to them in the moment.

However, in a cricket world with so much professionalism, with the top three sides having equal access to knowledge, facilities, technology and talent, it is rare that you can beat the conditions. In the league match against Australia, India were on the right side of the conditions. In the final, they lost to the conditions.

Will finishing as the World Cup's highest run-getter offer Virat Kohli any consolation for the heartbreak of the final?•Getty Images

An example of how much the pitch changed is how often Marnus Labuschagne dabbed the ball gently behind squares for singles; those easy singles hadn't been available to India. The pitch had been so slow in the afternoon that there was risk involved in manipulating the bat face to pick up singles once the field spread out and the ball became old. Kohli was dismissed in exactly this manner, inside-edging Pat Cummins onto his stumps.

1700421381048.png

If Rohit's words at the toss - he said he would have batted
first had he won it - actually reflected the team management's thoughts (sometimes a captain's words can be just a front), it would be fair to say India misread the conditions. That didn't matter because Australia won the toss, and they decided to play a different game.

India expected the pitch to keep getting slower and offer more turn, which happened in the Kolkata semi-final. They hoped they could capitalise on the brittleness of Australia's chasing.
Australia went by recent trends in Ahmedabad. During this World Cup, batting has consistently become easier under the lights in Ahmedabad. They banked on the pattern continuing, and expected a drier-than-usual pitch to be at its most difficult in the afternoon. They wanted to exploit India's relative weakness on slow pitches.

The second ball he faced from Josh Hazlewood, who had dismissed him in these teams' league meeting, Rohit charged at him and crashed him through the covers for four. Rohit was playing the World Cup final like it should have been: just another game. All through the tournament, he had made it easy for India's middle order by scoring quicker than anyone else in the powerplay.

It was even more important that Rohit did it here. Kohli got off to a great start too. Having seen Shubman Gill get out early, Kohli stuck to the team plan and ditched the risk-free game that had brought him 700-plus runs in the tournament. He took a risk off the ninth ball he faced, dragging Mitchell Starc over wide mid-on. It wasn't a perfect shot, but Kohli knew he needed to take that chance during the powerplay.

With the ball, India had their early plans spot-on. They got Shami to open the bowling because of his superior numbers against left-hand batters. They would have been pleasantly surprised by the help Bumrah and Shami got but that zip and that movement came at a cost. In the evening, as it most noticeably happened for New Zealand against England in the tournament-opener, the pitch had quickened up, and the ball gripped much less.

Once Australia weathered the early storm, once the movement died down, only a genius delivery from Bumrah, a final reminder of the magic India have created through this tournament, got them a wicket, that of Steven Smith with a viciously dipping slower one. The rest of the story we have heard before in many a chase in India. Would India have won at the Wankhede 12 years ago had there been no dew?

There will of course be a review within the team. Perhaps Rahul could have been braver through the middle overs. Kohli has the game to keep scoring at the strike rate of 80 to 90 without having to hit boundaries. Kohli got a delivery that lifted on that slow pitch and got big on him. On another day the inside edge could have run past the leg stump. Not in this final.

Have West Indies stopped playing cricket?

World cricket is struggling

This was a fixed tournament

India, England and Australia are a bit like ppp and pmln they have agreements between each other to control cricket

This tournament was made for India to win and they fluffed it

No seam, no swing
Ridiculous scores
Stands full of ugly ugly Indians

Terrible tournament

Pat Cummins is really inspiring. Sitting in India and openly telling them he's gonna shut the stadium up and then walking that talk. .That's what you call taking names and kicking ***. Nerves of steel.

Maybe because it was the final, the pitch couldn't be a joke and Australia was most suited to use it

• I have been on this forum for the best part of 14-15 years now.
  • I had been vehemently suppoting Pakistan Cricket team in all matches apart from when against India. Which I think I had been foolish notion and perhaps I should stop now.
  • I am 50 years old, have seen a lot of mud slinging in this as well as other SM. Nothing could shake my belief till now.
  • This thread as well as some immediate perolsonal encounters had opened my eye as to how apart from the 95% expected ill wishers and internet warriors, the other 5% had also been wearing a mask only, which had come off unashamedly today.
  • Our part of the world will remain so void of greatness, because simply we all are cheap cheerleaders and have no concept of inclusion. We are only good enough for dick measring contest.
  • So long folks.

don't want to make this thread political.. they'll be other spicy ones to spar on I'm sure

I'll tag you in those
Listen you twat - just about to have my roti and I see your Fukn crow feet you posted on this thread. This is ultimate toeling or is the word trolling?
That’s some serious issues with those black toes yaar - introduce them to soap for a start…..

• I had been vehemently suppoting Pakistan Cricket team in all matches apart from when against India. Which I think I had been foolish notion and perhaps I should stop now.
  • I am 50 years old, have seen a lot of mud slinging in this as well as other SM. Nothing could shake my belief till now.
  • This thread as well as some immediate perolsonal encounters had opened my eye as to how apart from the 95% expected ill wishers and internet warriors, the other 5% had also been wearing a mask only, which had come off unashamedly today.
  • Our part of the world will remain so void of greatness, because simply we all are cheap cheerleaders and have no concept of inclusion. We are only good enough for dick measring contest.
  • So long folks.
Come on yaar - your one of my mates now - don’t disappear bro

• So long folks.

Your country and your cricket board:

1. Forced Pakistan to play its own Asia cup in Srilanka
2. Because of India Pakistani players had to play one match in Multan and other one a day later in Columbo which resulted in fatigue and injuries
3. Your fans abused Pakistani players and Pakistan as a country in Ahmedabad
4. Your fans sledged our wicket keeper just because he is religious
5. Your fans abused and disrespected Pakistan and other countries
6. Your fans harrassed fans of other countries like BD
7. You didn't allow Pakistani fans or journalists to travel to India and support their team
8. Your ex players kept on spewing all sorts of nonsense against Pakistan. Go check twitter accounts of Sehwag and Akash Chopra for example
9. Your ex cricketer Irfan Pathan danced with Afghan players just because they had beaten Pakistan even though that match had nothing to do with India
10. Your board changed pitches without informing opponent team
11. You bully other teams and boards

And you expect us to show greatness and grace at your defeat???

Nahi bhai. We enjoyed every bit of your defeat and we loved that you failed to win WC in your own home. There is no shame in admitting that. We wanted you to lose and you lost at the best time. We cheered every wicket of India and every boundary and six hit by Travis Head.

Good luck for T20 WC 2024. Hopefully you won't win that either :)

Last edited:
  • So long folks.

No need to leave because of the reasons you mentioned sir. Cricket has been and will be a very emotional subject for our two countries. I guess you were too busy supporting your country when on this very thread your countrymen were making fun of my country’s cricket team. I guess that was kosher. Don’t worry yaara it’s a tough loss but be proud of how far along your country came. Agay apki marzi shehzaday.

Your country and your cricket board:

1. Forced Pakistan to play its own Asia cup in Srilanka
2. Because of India Pakistani players had to play one match in Multan and other one a day later in Columbo which resulted in fatigue and injuries
3. Your fans abused Pakistani players and Pakistan as a country in Ahmedabad
4. Your fans sledged our wicket keeper just because he is religious
5. Your fans abused and disrespected Pakistan and other countries
6. Your fans harrassed fans of other countries like BD
7. You didn't allow Pakistani fans or journalists to travel to India and support their team
8. Your ex players kept on spewing all sorts of nonsense against Pakistan. Go check twitter accounts of Sehwag and Akash Chopra for example
9. Your ex cricketer Irfan Pathan danced with Afghan players just because they had beaten Pakistan even though that match had nothing to do with India
10. Your board changed pitches without informing opponent team
11. You bully other teams and boards

And you respect us to show greatness and grace at your defeat???

Nahi bhai. We enjoyed every bit of your defeat and we loved that you failed to win WC in your own home. There is no shame in admitting that. We wanted you to lose and you lost at the best time.

They spewed so much nonsense over the past month, me and you we are both witness to it. Ab nahi jeet payay aur humne kuch bol diya toh it’s a case of sour grapes now. Wtf Yaar.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom