What's new

If we had $$, which fighter jets would PAF buy?

But people are mixing up things. M2K was/is a good platform in close-up combat. At stand-off ranges, it or Rafale have the same level of exposure as any other aircraft.

Which is why I made the earlier point, Chinese have made huge advances in radar technology and if Pakistan can pair their radar with a good weapon, the odds are evened out in an environment where there will be heavy ECM/Early warning at play on our side for our own assets.

The system as a whole has to work together and the JF-17 is just a cog in it. This is why this system's employment is all important rather than just the individual parts. If the cogs give PAF roughly the same capability as the adversary's very expensive imported platform, we are fine.

PAF has to burn more midnight oil on the evolving threats but PAF is in a much more balanced state currently than ever before (or perhaps similar to circa 1964).
This post is the crux of this whole debate.
People are not understanding what a nightmare the IAF is going to undergo. Russian Israeli and now French hardware to be integrated into a single seamless system. Is it going to work or are there going to be glitches/deficiencies? In many ways this thread/threads should highlight this fact as equally as what we are going to do. We seem to have the akhara mentality of this vs that whereas the netcentric war is about integrated products in a system and how well they perform as a whole. This is why 27/2 was so enlightening and revealing for us.
The other factor is the economics of parity. We are maintaining balance on a shoe string budget through more indigenous products which can be integrated into our system. This needs to be evaluated carefully before we compare this vs that.
India vs Pak defence debate will always favour India on account of its larger size and more buying power but the neutralizing factor is this indegenous effort which provides us with parity in the ball park figures but more importantly within our own meagre budget and within a well integrated system. If the other side can produce that then we are in trouble but till that time we are fighting fit and ready to respond. The other factor is the cost of replacing any losses which will be smaller on our side but larger on the other side.
A

We will prefer to go for JF-17... JF-17 is our bomber, our 3rd, 4th, 5th generation fighter..
JF-17 Block 3 is better then rafales & F-16 Block72.. But we are so desperate to ink deal of block72s with USA
Samjh tay gay hoso.. o_O
It brings mature technology into our midst and a fighter which integrates into our system. Iam sure there will be the factor you have alluded to as well but that is not the whole truth.
A

It brings mature technology into our midst and a fighter which integrates into our system. Iam sure there will be the factor you have alluded to as w
Sir.. People use to say same when we bought Augusta submarines with transfer of technology in 90s..and then we saw we failed to made a screw of that submarine until today...
Im sorry but i will never ever consider JF-17 amy block near to F-16 Block15 until or unless we saw them performing against our opponents
On 27 feb JF-17 failed to fired a single SD-10 on intruders and again on 27 feb it failed to fired single BVR on IAF interceptors...
So its not in par with any 3rd generation yet...
Thats all

Sir.. People use to say same when we bought Augusta submarines with transfer of technology in 90s..and then we saw we failed to made a screw of that submarine until today...
Im sorry but i will never ever consider JF-17 amy block near to F-16 Block15 until or unless we saw them performing against our opponents
On 27 feb JF-17 failed to fired a single SD-10 on intruders and again on 27 feb it failed to fired single BVR on IAF interceptors...
Thats all
F-22 doesn't have any kill. So according to your analogy its a shitty plane.

With money, the next decade should focus on 250+ JF-17's upgraded block 3 , ~ 100 F-16's with Aesa.
And work on our own solution i.e FGFA.

F-22 doesn't have any kill. So according to your analogy its a shitty plane.
Dont compare yourself with them.. Thry have 80 years of experience in this field while u have still nothing in your hands

Thats all
Have you not changed tack a bit? I thought your original post was regarding possible handouts for PAF officials which is what has been blamed for our propensity to buy foreign.
If I were to play the devil's advocate I could say that the result would possibly have been the same on 27/2 if there were no F16s.
The Augusta deal and F16s are totally mismatched so I will not entertain that. However I will say you could not be further from the truth with regards to Augustas. Some of the CAM and CAD technology as well as underwater welding wereall gained from the Augusta deal. This then helped us manufacture a lot of parts for the M3/5 s as well as JFT and later on the Azmat class Corvettes.
There is an understood fact that besides depot level maintenance we will not get anything from the US, AND THE SAME IS THE CASE WITH Turkey as they have imported all the major parts from the US. The reasons for 16 acquisition are different as they are the cheapest and most expedient addition to the fleet time, manpower, maintenance and money wise. However they are fast becoming irrelevant. PAC is on the rise and the confidence of their people is uplifiting to see.
Regards
A

Last edited:
I think a large stealth drone program will run after the FGFA by reusing the same core technology. It's likely the vision for deep strike in the future.

But until then we'll have to endure with firing SOWs via Mirages. This is where the calls for remanufacturing the Mirages are critical.
For stop gap solution, we should induct 1-2 squadron of deep strike fighters either from Russia or China.

If we have $$$$$
than invest in Project azm
& buy better air defence system

China offers to modify it for Land based...Pak is more than willing due to various reasons.....
There are J-11D and J-16, and you can call they land-based versions ...

Back
Top Bottom