What's new

IIT Bombay's 'Chaturpaksha' makes waves

jarves

Reaction score
Country
India
A mini quad-rotor drone developed and built by a team of students at IIT Bombay is making waves, standing out in a national competition held by the Ministry of Science & Technology. The MICAV 14 competition has the team emerge runners up with their 'Chaturpaksha' drone, which previously bagged third place in the international IMAV 2013 competition in France last September. Develpment on the drone began just over a year ago in January 2013. "The indigenously developed and manufactured carbon fibre structure has been optimized over numerous iterations, high quality neddymium magnet motors and highly efficient propellers have been carefully chosen through simulations," says the team, comprising Nikunj Kothari, Prasanna Shevare, Gaurav Tendolkar and Chinmay Das. The Chaturpaksha auto-pilot is also optimised for indoor autonomous flight. Along with such products as the DRDO-IdeaForge Netra drone, the Chaturpaksha could evince interest among the armed and paramilitary forces, as well as police services across the country, which have unanimously expressed requirements of technology to meet urban warfare and short-range intelligence gathering.
IIT-CHARURPAKSHA.jpg

SP�s Exculsive - SP's Aviation

Why all the good things are done by IIT Kanpur and Bombay only??

I am building a similar thing...only difference is its a hex copter and will have a set of tilt rotors. And it is autonomous and communication is over 3g/2g internet dongle which give me a lot of range.

I am building a similar thing...only difference is its a hex copter and will have a set of tilt rotors. And it is autonomous and communication is over 3g/2g internet dongle which give me a lot of range.
You are in iiT??

are you using contra rotating propellers ??whats the specification of propellers ,motors and battery??whats the mass of the bot??

are you using contra rotating propellers ??whats the specification of propellers ,motors and battery??whats the mass of the bot??

Good you asked...its a work in progress below are the details of the project so far
Hardware list:
1: 4 Brushless motors
EMAX CF2822 1200KV Outrunner Brushless Motor for RC Aircraft S | eBay

2: 4 speed controlers
4X 40A Hobbywing Skywalke Brushless Speed Controller ESC Multi Copter Aircraft | eBay

3: 1 raspberry pi
Raspberry PI Model B 512MB | eBay

4: 1 hex copter frame
6 Axis Airframe Frame Multi Copter Hex Rotor HEXA Strong Smooth 550 for MWC KK R | eBay

5: A cheap usb cam

Its a work in progress have started only a few weeks back. I am planning to use a airtel 3d dongle (right now usb wifi stick).
I haven't bought any propellers yet since i haven't got the gyro working. And i am still working on the tilt rotor mechanism. 2 of the rotors will be tilt rotor which will allow quick direction change and efficient linear movement.

PS: Its still a Work In Progress

And it weighs just 580 gms???

No its going to weigh considerably more and will have a greater payload capacity.

You are in iiT??
no bhai...I graduated in 2007 from a mediocre college with mediocre marks in Amritsar. You don't have to be from IITs to build something like this.

Last edited:
dUDE... I am classmate of him in IIT Bombay and he doesn't mind it.
So cool it down

Back
Top Bottom