What's new

India: Basmati export floor price may be lowered to counter Pakistan move

You think we have no sympathy for our distressed farmers. Many a time Indian government waived the loans for farmers.
That is nothing huge. Governments all over the world give subsidies and right off loans for their farmers.

The Canadian govt. purchases the excess milk from dairy farmers and destroys it every quarter in order to maintain the prices.

Basmati export floor price may be lowered to counter Pakistan move

India will lower the basmati floor price to $850 a metric ton, down from $1,200 a ton, to help millers and traders ship out the rice grade, said the sources, who didn't wish to be identified as they are not authorised to talk to media. Last month, India fixed the floor price, or the minimum export price (MEP), for basmati rice shipments at $1,200 a metric ton.​

Suraj Agarwal, chief executive of RiceVilla, a rice marketing and exporting company, said: “Current MEP of $1,200 per tonne (Rs 100/kg) is comparatively higher than the average export price of $950 tonne (`80/kg). The new crop of basmati, which is known as 1509 variety, has started to arrive and if we don't book export orders at this point, our only competitor in basmati rice — Pakistan, who has set its MEP at around $1,050 — would improve their share in the global markets.

Rather than reducing the price, if India and Pakistan cooperate with each other, India can buy all the export stock that is available in the Pakistan market and sell it at $1200. It would have been win win for both of us.

That is nothing huge. Governments all over the world give subsidies and right off loans for their farmers.

The Canadian govt. purchases the excess milk from dairy farmers and destroys it every quarter in order to maintain the prices.
Good initiative by Canadian government. Indian government helps by exempting tax on income from sale of farm produce. Out of every rupee earned by farmers, 21 paisa is subsidized. Farm subsidies form about 2% of India’s GDP. High amount of farm subsidies, farm loan waivers put excessive burden on Government finances reducing space for capital expenditure.

Rather than reducing the price, if India and Pakistan cooperate with each other, India can buy all the export stock that is available in the Pakistan market and sell it at $1200. It would have been win win for both of us.
That is an excellent observation which is only possible with friends. Whenever India and Pakistan cooperated they benefited. Many a time, Pakistan salt is repackaged by India for export.

Last edited:

Basmati export floor price may be lowered to counter Pakistan move

India will lower the basmati floor price to $850 a metric ton, down from $1,200 a ton, to help millers and traders ship out the rice grade, said the sources, who didn't wish to be identified as they are not authorised to talk to media. Last month, India fixed the floor price, or the minimum export price (MEP), for basmati rice shipments at $1,200 a metric ton.​

Suraj Agarwal, chief executive of RiceVilla, a rice marketing and exporting company, said: “Current MEP of $1,200 per tonne (Rs 100/kg) is comparatively higher than the average export price of $950 tonne (`80/kg). The new crop of basmati, which is known as 1509 variety, has started to arrive and if we don't book export orders at this point, our only competitor in basmati rice — Pakistan, who has set its MEP at around $1,050 — would improve their share in the global markets.
In europ Pakistanis always consume pakistani rice even it goes price high. Like Pakistani mangoes.. People pay for quality.. Pakistani rice is brand you can not defeat even if you give away your rice free

If it does not taste as good then why does the international market offer a premium over the price of Pakistani rice ??

You think the world is stupid ?

We always prefer the better tasting and better quality of Indian basmati.

Pakistani farmers are even seeking the newer varieties being developed in India

Pakistan farmer seeks newly developed rice seeds for cultivation from BHU

Market tricks are all India has as it cannot compete in taste and originality.

Really? 1 farmer sent a floating request to BHU. 1. One.

Market tricks are all India has as it cannot compete in taste and originality.

Really? 1 farmer sent a floating request to BHU. 1. One.
Pakistanis display typical smaller neighbour syndrome when it comes to these things. That everything about the smaller country must be better, because big neighbour must necessarily produce substandard things. I knew of Lankans also claiming superiority over Indian cuisine, until I went to Lanka and had it myself. Big disappointment. Bottomline is people lean towards their own foods. South Indians swear by their jeera samba rice, bengalis over their gobindbhog, marathis over their indrani rice. All of them think that basmati is crap.

Last edited:
Pakistanis display typical smaller neighbour syndrome when it comes to these things. That everything about the smaller country must be better, because big neighbour must necessarily produce substandard things. I knew of Lankans also claiming superiority over Indian cuisine, until I went to Lanka and had it myself. Big disappointment. Bottomline is people lean towards their own foods. South Indians swear by their jeera samba rice, bengalis over their gobindbhog, marathis over their indrani rice. All of them think that basmati is crap.

Nobody is discussing the nutritional aspects of the rice when comparing the 2 strains

I remember that the Indian govt has announced that it has stopped exporting rice, am I misremembering?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom