What's new

India clears $660 million deal for M777 artillery guns

Today is a great day.

My dad was part of the american bid for the tender that was won by Bofors. I am 27 and have been waiting my whole life (litterally) for India to buy brand new howitzers.

Today is a GREAT DAY!

Indian orders for artillery:

Ultra light category: M777 Now Ordered!

Towed: Upgraded OFB BOFORS 155/45 Ordered!

Self Propelled: Waiting for some good news!

As for the trolls on the thread, your pathetic attempts to ignore India's progress are laughable!

Awesome. Still lot more needs to be done. We still have about 17000cr to spend on artillery. I'd say FH-77 B05:enjoy:

Hope no scam surfaces after 20 years......

And yeah....congrats for continuously funding other countries research and development......keep up the good work India, the world need you.....:tup:

millions and millions worth of foreign deals.......hurray......we're helping so many countries sustain their tech. advancement and industrial growth :yahoo:

we should not bring Chinese junk to compare with the best in its class.... Pakistani members please spare us...and congrats to IA.

Chalo shuruat to hui.... Now lets hope the deal gets inked too and no Renuka Choudhary becomes a Kabab mein Haddi again...

JAI HIND!! these howitzers will add a much needed punch in the Indian Army!!!

But failed to kill Taliban.. :lol:
ya much like the six hundred howitzers which could not wipe out terrorists in pakistan......

Light Howitzer (ULH) and wheeled self propelled guns as trials in both cases have been successfully concluded. The ULH is being acquired under the direct foreign military sales route from USA. Despite the delay due to the leaked trial report pointing to some shortcomings, the ULH is expected to be inducted soon. A total of 145 ULH are planned for induction for deployment in areas not easily accessible and for out of area contingencies.
In the case of the wheeled SP guns, in fray are Germany’s Rheinmetall and Slovakia’s Konstrukta. The induction of the selected gun is expected to commence this year provided no other scandal emerges. However, no progress has been made with regards to the towed, self-propelled track and mounted gun systems. The main culprit has been the back-listing policy of the government.

The dismal gun acquisition saga has now reached critical levels
predicted before so may be we can expect more good news on wheeled guns soon..........contenders are RWG-52 and zuzana-2....

Until I see these firing rounds off in Drass or somewhere, I won't comment positive or negative on it.

New Delhi: The Indian Army got a shot in the arm today with the defence ministry clearing its long-pending $660 million (Rs.3,000 crore) proposal to buy 145 ultra-light howitzer guns to add teeth to its ageing inventory.

This is the first time the army is buying artillery guns in 27 years, since the Bofors guns payoff scandal broke out in the late 1980s, defence ministry sources said here.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), headed by Defence Minister A.K. Antony, cleared the deal for the M777 BAE Systems guns that will be bought through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route of the US government.

Also Read
Bofors uproar in Parliament; BJP attacks Congress over whistle-blower's revelations
Family humiliated for years, says Big B on Bofors whistle-blower's clean chit
Also See
47:27
Siachen: Time for a thaw?
0:19
In uniform, Lt Col Dhoni visits Chennai
The purchase comes in the wake of Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in March highlighting the gaps in its preparedness.

Being light in weight, the 155mm 39-calibre guns can be easily airlifted and will be deployed in the high altitude mountainous areas in the northeast and in the Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir bordering China.

A couple of weeks ago the defence ministry had approved infrastructure development projects in the northeast, including strategic roads and rail lines that will enable easy and quick mobilisation of troops.

The DAC cleared the M777 gun following a favourable report by a committee headed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief V.K. Saraswat that studied the suitability of the weapon system.

The army had recommended the gun following a series of rigorous trials.

very similar to Bofors Guns

Rs. 7,000 crore defence procurement cleared

The Ultra Light Howitzers of 155 mm (39 caliber) were being acquired for deployment in high altitude areas in Arunachal Pradesh and Ladakh, the sources said, adding that this would be the first acquisition of howitzers by the Army in the last 26 years.
The DAC also cleared a proposal to procure over 65 radars for the L-70 air defence guns which will be worth over Rs. 3,000 crore, Defence Ministry sources told PTI in New Delhi.
The other projects of the Army cleared by the DAC included procurement of simulators for T-90 tanks worth over Rs. 300 crore and 300 water tankers worth Rs. 90 crore.
The DAC also cleared a proposal of the Navy to build a new cadet training ship worth Rs. 480 crore and a joint Air Force and Army proposal for 300 aerial targets worth Rs. 350 crore, the sources said.

The thing I'm worried about is:rolleyes:
The projects approved by the DAC will now be put up before the Finance Ministry for clearance before they are taken up by the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) for final approval.

M777 Howitzers are one of the most potent weapons of today. Its light weight is a big advantage. I hope the edge Pakistan Army has over IA in Artillery remains.. but anyways.. Congrats :)

Great news.BUt apart from i145,increase the order to 2 more regiments to 290.That way these 2 regiments can be held in reserve and easily airlifted via hercules,il-76 and c-17 globemasters to any threatened sector.In any case our field artillery is weaker but our rocket artillery, aerial artillery[air force] is far superior .

Back
Top Bottom