What's new

India 'concerned' over China running Gwadar port

yes

we get infrastructure . locals get jobs, the place will attract people from wide spectrum like technicians, professionals, laborers, that population will need transportation, housing, food, accommodation, clothing , recreation, schooling , hospitals

hence my dear anything a promising new town / city needs to start from sands and hills to a vibrant and alive city. look at the examples in UAE.

Here are top 3 port operators

PSA - Operate ports in Argentina, Belgium, China, India, Italay, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Panama, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vietnam

HPH - Operate ports in Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Belgium, Egypt, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Korea, Malaysia, United Kingdom

DPW - Operate ports in all continents (including india)

Good Point Mate :)

If Gwadar is going to be a boon for Pak economy and benefits the local population, it is indeed welcomed. Good luck!

I dont bet on anything until 2014.Use of gwadar depends on U.S policy in afghanistan and how much control they will have?
so wait for 2014,if U.S stays there with even few force then forget the use of gwadar whether china runs it or japan or europe.

As per india,gwadar is of no use as we have invested in iranian port so nthng worry for india.

Minister was just asked and he gave his opinion like he usually says about chinese investment in sri lanka even.

This time things will be different, if USA intends to do trouble in Gawadar then we won't give them a respectable way of exit and all peace talks with Taliban will fail and ofcourse Gawadar port is not threat to India.

1101748473-1.jpg

1101748473-2.gif

Chinese presence at Gwadar port a matter of concern: AK Antony - India - DNA

The Hindu : News / National : Chinese presence at Gwadar Port is a matter of concern: Antony

China having control of Gwadar a "matter of concern": Antony - Oneindia News

Go set yourself on fire, and learn to mind your own damn business.

Indian minister pokes his nose into Gwadar affair
By: Reuters | February 07, 2013
BANGALORE - China's role in operating strategically important Gwadar Port is a matter of concern for India, its defence minister said on Wednesday, as New Delhi and Beijing jostle for influence in the region.

Indian policymakers have long been wary of a string of strategically located ports being built by Chinese companies in its neighbourhood, as India beefs up its military clout to compete with its Asian rival.

Management of Gwadar port was handed over to state-run Chinese Overseas Port Holdings last week after previously being managed by Singapore's PSA International. "It is a matter of concern to us," Indian Defence Minister AK Antony told reporters when asked about Chinese control of the port.

When complete, the port, which is close to the Strait of Hormuz, a key oil shipping lane, is seen opening up an energy and trade corridor from the Gulf, across Pakistan to western China, and could be used by the Chinese Navy, analysts say.

"It will enable (China) to deploy military capability in the region," said Jay Ranade, of the Centre for Air Power Studies and a former additional secretary at the government of India.

"Having control of Gwadar, China is basically getting an entry into the Arabian Sea and the Gulf."

China has also funded ports in Hambantota, Sri Lanka, and Chittagong in Bangladesh, both India's neighbours. "Gwadar is a more serious development than the others," Ranade said, as the Pakistani port gives China base facilities.

A Pakistani foreign ministry official told Reuters that the port was none of India's business.

"India has no concern with whoever Pakistan decides to work with on Gwadar," said the official, who declined to be identified. "We first had a deal with Singapore but that didn't work out as desired. Singapore's PSA International and the Chinese have settled the deal."

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said last week that Gwadar was a commercial project, part of long-standing bilateral cooperation. "China will actively support any programme that benefits China-Pakistan relations and the prosperity of Pakistan," he told reporters.

India, the world's biggest arms importer in recent years, plans to spend around $100 billion over the next 10 years in upgrading its mostly Soviet-era military hardware to keep pace with China's ramping up of defence spending.

The country was bound to modernise its armed forces in response to China's own modernisation, Indian Defence Minister Antony said at an air show in the southern city of Bangalore, adding that strengthening its north-eastern border with China was not a confrontation with its neighbour.

Indian bullying will only lead to insanity, they cant fight us, we will fight back in the proxy warfare, they can't invade us, all they can do is bark as much as they can and then go back to their hole. India's biggest weapon is its big mouth, its a drum that tries to make a louder noise than it can afford to, "hoping" that the smaller regional countries will listen and would be "petrified" of the "Regional Maha Shakti Bharat". This is our port, our land, our friends, our resources, our sea we can set it on fire or give to Ethiopia its our business NOT yours, its about time Bharat learned to mind its own damn business and learned to LIVE with it.

@Spring Onion @Xeric @Hyperion @Luftwaffe

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy tigers. A possible naval base near Indian coast of an emerging super power is matter of worry especially when we also have disputes with them.

PN wasn't that much headache but PLAN is a force to reckon with. India has to make these diplomatic statements. Its part of Foreign Policy, if you guys don't know it.

Don't get over emotional. Argue rationally.

Lets assume you have border disputes with IRAN and you have fought war before, If we make a naval base at Chabhar with Iran, would you allow it. ?

Give me a unbias and rational answer.

Easy tigers. A possible naval base near Indian coast of an emerging super power is matter of worry especially when we also have disputes with them.

PN wasn't that much headache but PLAN is a force to reckon with. India has to make these diplomatic statements. Its part of Foreign Policy, if you guys don't know it.

Lets assume you have border disputes with IRAN and you have fought war before, If we make a naval base at Chabhar with Iran, would you allow it. ?

Sometimes in life you just have to bite the bullet, my friend.

Pakistanis dont even tolerate Indian embassies in Afghanistan,let alone ports.

Yara, Krait, many on this forum would agree that I am a fairly unbiassed person. While I may not exactly agree with @Aeronaut's tone, however, I wholeheartedly agree with the gist of his message (right above your post).

I also feel as if India has got some unexplainable phantom problem with Pakistan and most of it's relatively smaller neighbors. Additionally, in case of China it's trying to punch way beyond it's weight. It's my firm belief that in intermediate to long run scenario, this will be extremely detrimental to the growth of India itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

and similarly,if we allow usa to make a naval base in gujarat post 2014,wouldnt they be concerned?

Pakistanis dont even tolerate Indian embassies in Afghanistan,let alone ports.

welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom