What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

I'd say public transport in Bombay is more efficient overall, though Delhi's is more comfortable (because it's newer), and I'm not trying to take away from our national capital's amazing metro services. Speaking of public transport, I went for a quick ride on the Bombay Monorail today, and boy did it feel good!
How about buses? DTC's low riders look sublime and in line with world standards in the NCR IMHO, BEST buses (other than the few Volvos) look pretty shameful for the finical capital of India.

Public transport in Delhi is in better shape than in Mumbai correct?

However Delhi vs Mumbai/any Indian city is healthy competition- it makes both cities want to do better.

I am from delhi and have been to mumbai 4-5 times. I must say road and infrastructure in delhi is way better compare to mumbai. But you will find many more skyscrapers in mumbai compare to delhi. and yes you are right public transport in delhi is in very good shape due to metro and low floor buses.

But you will find many more skyscrapers in mumbai compare to delhi
Well this is a result of the extreme lack of space found in Mumbai when compared to Delhi.In Mumbai the only way to build is vertically, in Delhi there is space to build laterally- the NCR is VAST. Look at the Washington DC vs NYC comparison, the capital of the US has FAR lass skyscrapers than NYC for the exact same reasons as Delhi vs Mumbai.

How about buses? DTC's low riders look sublime and in line with world standards in the NCR IMHO, BEST buses (other than the few Volvos) look pretty shameful for the finical capital of India.

Haha. I'm laughing cause it's true. But I will say this...although many in the BEST's fleet aren't low floor and ultra modern-looking, they're well maintained, and efficient. The BEST's services are the best in South Asia from what I've read and heard. More Leyland/TATA/Volvo/MAN low-floor buses would be great, though. With every other tier 1 and 2 city buying low floors, the financial capital will have to catch up, and I reckon it will. Eventually.

Well this is a result of the extreme lack of space found in Mumbai when compared to Delhi.In Mumbai the only way to build is vertically, in Delhi there is space to build laterally- the NCR is VAST. Look at the Washington DC vs NYC comparison, the capital of the US has FAR lass skyscrapers than NYC for the exact same reasons as Delhi vs Mumbai.
Hey bro have you ever been to delhi? If yes how was your experience?

Haha. I'm laughing cause it's true. But I will say this...although many in the BEST's fleet aren't low floor and ultra modern-looking, they're well maintained, and efficient. The BEST's services are the best in South Asia from what I've read and heard. More Leyland/TATA/Volvo/MAN low-floor buses would be great, though. With every other tier 1 and 2 city buying low floors, the financial capital will have to catch up, and I reckon it will. Eventually.

I traveled in best buses 2-3 times. I think the service is fine and ppl of mumbai are also cool.
your local trains are very efficient and very cheap but sometimes very croudy.

I am from delhi and have been to mumbai 4-5 times. I must say road and infrastructure in delhi is way better compare to mumbai. But you will find many more skyscrapers in mumbai compare to delhi. and yes you are right public transport in delhi is in very good shape due to metro and low floor buses.

Next time jab aoge to mujhse mil le ... Asli Bambai dikhaoonga tujhe. :)

I traveled in best buses 2-3 times. I think the service is fine and ppl of mumbai are also cool.
your local trains are very efficient and very cheap but sometimes very croudy.

Yes that's what I've been told :D

Here's hoping bro, I can't speak of the service BEST offers, purely from a superficial standpoint the current BEST fleet is looking pretty dated.

If only Mumbai could replace them all with:
bmtc_bus_vajra_big.jpg

nmmt_volvo.JPG

As for double deckers (I know a common sight in Mumbai):

262675_3660121796415_1748458129_n.jpg

London_Bus_route_139_A.jpg

No doubt this will happen in Mumbai- it is inevitable, i just hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Hey bro have you ever been to delhi? If yes how was your experience?

I was there back in 2007 bro for about 18 hours. My memories are heat and amazing street food!

Riding the Bombay Monorail

This is Wadala, an industrial area with hardly any traffic, and it's sparsely populated with lots of new construction activity, which means there's lots of dust everywhere.

Here's the station! Pretty basic, but I must say that I was most impressed with the quality of staff on this line...
2i0vsdd.jpg

k2cob8.jpg

2nqebdf.jpg

r0nlp3.jpg

a1qme.jpg

Thank God pink isn't the only colour of the rolling stock...
xlw0mu.jpg

cc: me

Riding the Bombay Monorail

Cockpit view...
70au83.jpg

Construction everywhere!
30agegj.jpg

A random cricket ground popped out of nowhere...
11c63js.jpg

Mysore Colony station...
hu101c.jpg

After exiting at my stop, I change platforms for the quick journey back to my car...
2hqvu9t.jpg

It's blue this time...
25kt1fd.jpg

Pic through glass: passing over a not-so-busy freeway...
15fm8lj.jpg

29bmul3.jpg

@Abingdonboy here's a new Bharat Benz lorry
2ntio13.jpg

Koh-i-Noor, Bombay, MH
o7ujco.jpg

Last edited:

BEST service is absolutely efficient and effective. Do you know BEST carries twice the no of passengers as Delhi metro daily?

BTW you pics are a treat, thanks Bhau! I also know who you mean (your sig)!!!

Back
Top Bottom