What's new

India flexes its muscles, sends Super Hercules aircraft to Ladakh

Reaction score
Country
India
In a significant capability demonstration move by the IAF, a C 130J-30 Super Hercules aircraft landed at Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO), the highest airstrip in the world at 0654 hrs today. The Commanding Officer Group Captain Tejbir Singh and the crew of the “Veiled Vipers” along with senior officer of Air Headquarters touched down on the DBO airstrip located at 16614 feet (5065 meters) in the Aksai Chin area after taking off from their home base at Hindon.

DBO is an important Army forward area post which links the ancient silk route to china. This base was built during the Indo-China conflict in 1962 and came into prominence when Packet aircraft of the IAF operated from DBO between 1962 and 1965. Once again this strategic base in the Northern Himalayas gained importance when it was resurrected and reactivated by the IAF along with the Indian Army and made operational when a twin engine AN 32 aircraft from Chandigarh landed there after a gap of 43 years.

Considering the very limited load carrying capability of AN 32 and helicopters, a decision was taken by the IAF to land the C130J-30 aircraft which is capable of lifting upto 20 tonnes of load. With this enhanced airlift capability the IAF will now be in a better position to meet the requirements of our land forces who are heavily dependent on the air bridge for sustainence in these higher and inhospitable areas.

The tactical airlift aircraft of the special operations squadron the “Veiled Vipers” which is capable of undertaking quick deployment of forces in all weather conditions, including airdrops and landings on unprepared or semi prepared surfaces created history today by landing at this altitude and hostile terrain conditions. This achievement qualifies for the world record for the highest landing by an aircraft of this class. Incidentally, this was the same aircraft and crew that operated at Dharasu during “Op Rahat” for the Uttarakhand flood relief.

Today’s achievement will enable the forces to exploit the inherent advanced capabilities of the aircraft by increased capability to induct troops, improve communication network and also serve as a great morale booster for maintenance of troops positioned there. It is also a projection of the fact that the IAF is capable of operating in such inhospitable terrain in support of the Indian Army.

1151030_453668184730512_244314179_n.jpg

994891_453668134730517_2134058850_n.jpg

1151073_453668138063850_1852793506_n.jpg

1000241_453668148063849_45962689_n.jpg

In a significant capability demonstration move by the IAF, a C 130J-30 Super Hercules aircraft landed at Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO), the highest airstrip in the world at 0654 hrs today. The Commanding Officer Group Captain Tejbir Singh and the crew of the “Veiled Vipers” along with senior officer of Air Headquarters touched down on the DBO airstrip located at 16614 feet (5065 meters) in the Aksai Chin area after taking off from their home base at Hindon.

DBO is an important Army forward area post which links the ancient silk route to china. This base was built during the Indo-China conflict in 1962 and came into prominence when Packet aircraft of the IAF operated from DBO between 1962 and 1965. Once again this strategic base in the Northern Himalayas gained importance when it was resurrected and reactivated by the IAF along with the Indian Army and made operational when a twin engine AN 32 aircraft from Chandigarh landed there after a gap of 43 years.

Considering the very limited load carrying capability of AN 32 and helicopters, a decision was taken by the IAF to land the C130J-30 aircraft which is capable of lifting upto 20 tonnes of load. With this enhanced airlift capability the IAF will now be in a better position to meet the requirements of our land forces who are heavily dependent on the air bridge for sustainence in these higher and inhospitable areas.

The tactical airlift aircraft of the special operations squadron the “Veiled Vipers” which is capable of undertaking quick deployment of forces in all weather conditions, including airdrops and landings on unprepared or semi prepared surfaces created history today by landing at this altitude and hostile terrain conditions. This achievement qualifies for the world record for the highest landing by an aircraft of this class. Incidentally, this was the same aircraft and crew that operated at Dharasu during “Op Rahat” for the Uttarakhand flood relief.

Today’s achievement will enable the forces to exploit the inherent advanced capabilities of the aircraft by increased capability to induct troops, improve communication network and also serve as a great morale booster for maintenance of troops positioned there. It is also a projection of the fact that the IAF is capable of operating in such inhospitable terrain in support of the Indian Army

1151030_453668184730512_244314179_n.jpg

994891_453668134730517_2134058850_n.jpg
1151073_453668138063850_1852793506_n.jpg

1000241_453668148063849_45962689_n.jpg

Thats nice, It will give the needed Airlift capability to supply that particular area.

Hey and salam to all of you my dears, am new here and studying in 10th standard, my 9th marks is 421 out of 550. My family condition is poor and am want to continue my studies but it is unlikely, am also want to join a cadet college and later join PAF, Pak army or pak navy As an officer, so am here to know about the cadet colleges in pakistan under government. Anyone one here who can guide me about this?

For information: am from khyber agency, FATA, peshawar pakistan.

Hey and salam to all of you my dears, am new here and studying in 10th standard, my 9th marks is 421 out of 550. My family condition is poor and am want to continue my studies but it is unlikely, am also want to join a cadet college and later join PAF, Pak army or pak navy As an officer, so am here to know about the cadet colleges in pakistan under government. Anyone one here who can guide me about this?

Hello. Go to pakistan army section. There is a thread about getting into pakistan armed forces. I am sorry for your financial condition.I Hope you get over it.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/272579-c-130-lands-daulat-beg.html @mods Please merge these 2 threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Superb images :tup:
The dam dust cloud is going to my desktop wall ;) thanks

@nuclearpak , @Irfan Baloch

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a significant development. Now we know why china was so irked by the modernization of airfields in the DBO sector, and staged a useless 'dharna' there. And remember, as a face saver, several Chinese members here were claiming that they forced India to abandon work at that airfield, despite India's repeated denial of that claim. Now it seems that they have gone all the way and made it an airfield capable of handling the finest aircrafts in India's arsenal, and created a world record in the process. This should give us some serious capability to rush in, reinforce and resupply very large number of troops in that sector.

Apparently, once we have the C-17s as well, India will have the capability to airlift an entire brigade (and their ammo and vehicles) to any theater in India in one go. This should make up for the lack of road and rail infra on the eastern front - a shortcoming that would hopefully be addressed soon. But it seems that the forces are making the best of a bad situation, and fortifying the country with whatever meager resource is available.

Headlines today is telecasting it live for the past half an hour or so..........

awesome pics.... lolz... super Hercules really super...

generally speaking
the merit and selection criteria for cadet colleges is high and no references work but your ability

there are many cadet colleges in KPK

Cadet College Kohat
Karnal Sher Khan Cadet College Swabi
Cadet college wana

the most famous ones are military college Jehlum and Cadet college hassanAbdal

if you are good in studies and have positive attitude towards life then these cadet colleges will make you a very good and capable man in your life whether or not you later on join the military is up to you

follwoing is the link of Pakistani cadet colleges
Cadet Colleges in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to be eligible for any financial support or stipend you will have to compete for it as the offers are limited and you have to be very high achiever in studies.

ON TOPIC

NICE PICTURES AND IMPRESSIVE DISPLAY :yahoo:

C-130J_Hercules_cleaning.jpg

NEW DELHI: Flexing its muscles in eastern Ladakh, where the Indian and Chinese armies have had face-offs in recent months, IAF on Tuesday morning landed a C-130J Super Hercules aircraft at the Daulat Beg Oldi airstrip close to the Line of Actual Control.

"The commanding officer Group Captain Tejbir Singh and the crew of the "Veiled Vipers" squadron, along with senior officers of Air Headquarters, touched down on the DBO airstrip, located at 16614 feet (5065 meters), in the Aksai Chin area after taking off from their home base at Hindon," said an officer.

DBO is an important Army forward area post which links the ancient silk route to China. This base was built during the India-China conflict in 1962 and came into prominence when Packet aircraft of the IAF operated from DBO between 1962 and 1965.

"Once again this strategic base in the Northern Himalayas gained importance when it was resurrected and reactivated by the IAF along with the Indian Army and made operational when a twin engine AN-32 aircraft from Chandigarh landed there after a gap of 43 years," he said.

Considering the very limited load carrying capability of AN-32 and helicopters, a decision was taken by the IAF to land the C-130J, which is capable of lifting up to 20 tonnes of load. "With this enhanced airlift capability, the IAF will now be in a better position to meet the requirements of our land forces who are heavily dependent on the air bridge for sustanence in these higher and inhospitable areas," said the officer.

IAF said Tuesday's achievement will enable the forces to exploit the inherent advanced capabilities of the aircraft by increased capability to induct troops, improve communication network and also serve as a great morale booster for maintenance of troops positioned there. "It is also a projection of the fact that the IAF is capable of operating in such inhospitable terrain in support of the Indian Army," he said

India flexes its muscles, sends Super Hercules aircraft to Ladakh - The Times of India

3 threads running on the same subject.... But in 3 different titles.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom