What's new

India is about to spend a ridiculous $500 million on a statue in the middle of the Arabian sea

Modi has nothing to do with this.

This is a Maharashtra state govt. project.
Ok whatever, their country their policies.
None of our business . I think Modi may be not good for Pakistan but he will surely take India towards fast track of progress. He has already taken difficult steps to root out corruption from the country.

He is an Indian icon. Not just Maharashtrian. His impact and empire stretched across the length and breadth of the Indian subcontinent. Had INDIANS (including traitorous Hindus) not conspired and plotted and put men and money against the Marathas, India would never have groveled for 200 years under the white man.

In a very true sense Shivaji failed to get the Rajputs permanently on his side.

He made the mistake of keeping it a Maratha enterprise, though that was not his intention.

Mughals OTOH intermarried (by force) and ensured Rajput loyalties.

The feeling of Hindu brotherhood was not strong enough to ensure a unity in the fight for survival and protection of values.

Maybe the Maharashtra govt. should now reverse this tread and make the statue a endeavour for Rajputs and Biharis and Gujaratis and south Indians as well.

What good is a Historical statue if we continue to refuse to learn from History ?

Ok whatever, their country their policies.
None of our business . I think Modi may be not good for Pakistan but he will surely take India towards fast track of progress. He has already taken difficult steps to root out corruption from the country.

Fate of pakistan is not in Modi's hands.

Its in the hands of pakistanis.

Modi has turned out to be the best friend Bangladesh ever had. More than any congress govt. The same would have been true for pakistan, if only pakistan choose it and spoke of it with their action and not empty words.

In a very true sense Shivaji failed to get the Rajputs permanently on his side.

He made the mistake of keeping it a Maratha enterprise, though that was not his intention.

Mughals OTOH intermarried (by force) and ensured Rajput loyalties.

The feeling of Hindu brotherhood was not strong enough to ensure a unity in the fight for survival and protection of values.

Maybe the Maharashtra govt. should now reverse this tread and make the statue a endeavour for Rajputs and Biharis and Gujaratis and south Indians as well.

What good is a Historical statue if we continue to refuse to learn from History ?

Fate of pakistan is not in Modi's hands.

Its in the hands of pakistanis.

Modi has turned out to be the best friend Bangladesh ever had. More than any congress govt. The same would have been true for pakistan, if only pakistan choose it and spoke of it with their action and not empty words.

Honestly, all due respect to any Rajput here, and many are blood relatives and same clans as the Maratha by bloodline, but they are overrated as a fighting force. The Marathas knew it. Give me a Maratha warrior over a Rajput charger any day. They were weak and treacherous.

Honestly, all due respect to any Rajput here, and many are blood relatives and same clans as the Maratha by bloodline, but they are overrated as a fighting force. The Marathas knew it. Give me a Maratha warrior over a Rajput charger any day. They were weak and treacherous.

I don't believe in the Martial race theory.

I am just stating that Shivaji(to a much lesser extent) and the successive Maratha's (to a large extent) failed to aggregate the various forces in India to build a long stable empire. Something that Akbar did well.

That is the lessons of history.

I don't believe in the Martial race theory.

I am just stating that Shivaji(to a much lesser extent) and the successive Maratha's (to a large extent) failed to aggregate the various forces in India to build a long stable empire. Something that Akbar did well.

That is the lessons of history.

I don't know why you say that. Maratha families are spread throughout India. Married and assimilated and Internalised and now permanently based there. Uttar Pradesh. Madhya Pradesh. Rajasthan. Even Odisha. Their names too evolved. I'm afraid the Hindus never saw external threats as existent. Because of the size of the land and civilization. And the fact that in the end they always Internalised every invader. Or drove him out. Or killed off or absorbed (genetically) his line. The Muslims were the first force that made a dent. And then came the British. The Hindus have learned their lesson now. Which is how we have an India in spite of still very deep and divisive fault lines.

I don't know why you say that. Maratha families are spread throughout India. Married and assimilated and Internalised and now permanently based there. Uttar Pradesh. Madhya Pradesh. Rajasthan. Even Odisha. Their names too evolved. I'm afraid the Hindus never saw external threats as existent. Because of the size of the land and civilization. And the fact that in the end they always Internalised every invader. Or drove him out. Or killed off or absorbed (genetically) his line. The Muslims were the first force that made a dent. And then came the British. The Hindus have learned their lesson now. Which is how we have an India in spite of still very deep and divisive fault lines.

There are Marathas in Baluchistan too. Again that was not my point.

When the british defeated Siraj-ud-Daulah in 1757 (Less than 80 years after Shivaji), Robert Clive was welcomed in the streets of Bengal by dancing Hindus showering petals on him.

That is how much the hindus wanted a liberator. Hindus joined the British army (east India company army) in HUGE numbers. The East India company finest regiments were the Brahmin bengal regiments. (All this changed after 1857)

Instead the Maratha's invaded Bengal and looted them.

Even the modern day Durga Pooja in Bengal is a legacy of the British liberating Bengal from islamic rule and slavery (literally since slavery was legal in Bengal till then)

http://scroll.in/article/763617/how-the-british-victory-at-plassey-created-the-modern-durga-pujo

Modi has nothing to do with this.

This is a Maharashtra state govt. project.

Technically yes but it is highly unlikely that Fadnavis would decide to waste $500 million without consulting Modi-Shah first. "Gujarat model" is a one man show. Nothing happens without his blessings.

Technically yes but it is highly unlikely that Fadnavis would decide to waste $500 million without consulting Modi-Shah first. "Gujarat model" is a one man show. Nothing happens without his blessings.

He would probably have consulted Obama and RSS chief as well. After all we know that nothing happens without the knowledge of the most powerful man on earth and BJP remote control. Right ?

Its all the more then they are spending on chabahar . either wrong needs or they them self realizes that chabahar is an acts of futility

We should have saved that old air craft carrier and converted to museum encouraging young minds to joining in navy and r & fields
Instead of this stupid statue

He would probably have consulted Obama and RSS chief as well. After all we know that nothing happens without the knowledge of the most powerful man on earth and BJP remote control. Right ?

I get your sarcasm but you are probably right about RSS chief.

I get your sarcasm but you are probably right about RSS chief.

So its Modi, Amith Shah and RSS. Anybody else ? How about Shiv Sena ?

BTW neither Modi nor Amit shah is a Maharashtrian, so why would he want a statue of Shivaji ? There are plenty of other Hindu icons for which statues can be built.

Why not just build a Temple ? or 10 Temples ?

I can imagine this looking great in Mumbai growing skyline.

Imagine having the statue being part of the skyline, income from tourists should pay for it within 10 years. However will be good if tourists can go in it.

look at the pic of the statue, its something you expect to see in dubai

http://news.sky.com/story/india-to-build-statue-twice-the-size-of-the-statue-of-liberty-10707371

What an extraordinarily silly thing to say.

You will never find any statues in any Islamic country, including Dubai. Not even of historical figures.

Maybe in Turkey.

I hope it's some way into the sea and they develop it into a celebration of Maratha history with a complete package where families can take a boat ride (maybe a decent loop), good food, plays, light n sound shows, story telling, cultural crafts and activities, a day in the life and times of Cchatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Make it like a gadh (fortress) at sea. Maybe an invading naval force being repulsed. Love the Vijaydurg fort.

Back
Top Bottom