What's new

India is about to spend a ridiculous $500 million on a statue in the middle of the Arabian sea

I can guarantee you that even a 1 Billion $ Shivaji statue is not going to make Mumbai any more famous, only Infamous.

A Lipstick on a Pig does not make a miss universe. Because that is what we are attempting here.

As long as this exist, there is no scope for a 500 million $ statue. Its simple as that. (I am sorry to have to post this)

Cj8GhacUUAAB_q8.jpg

People using Gutters and open sewage system to travel.

0.jpg
And what about Rio?
Despite having poverty, slums, gang violence and what not, the statue of Christ the Redeemer has brought positive fame and has become the defining identity of Rio (instead of the aforementioned traits of the city).

And what about Rio?
Despite having poverty, slums, gang violence and what not, the statue of Christ the Redeemer has brought positive fame and has become the defining identity of Rio (instead of the aforementioned traits of the city).

I don't care for "fame". IF it has to be fame, then let it be for the right reasons.

I want children to be able to go to school without waddling thorough raw sewage. Is it asking too much ? (and I certainly don't care about Rio)

sathe-nagar-650_650x400_71440508334.jpg

I don't care for "fame". IF it has to be fame, then let it be for the right reasons.

I want children to be able to go to school without waddling thorough raw sewage. Is it asking too much ? (and I certainly don't care about Rio)

sathe-nagar-650_650x400_71440508334.jpg
Fame builds money pal. The tourism that the statue would draw would lead to the city having more money to fix itself.
Fame in my post was not the end in itself. It is the means or rather accurately an euphemism for tourism.

Fame builds money pal. The tourism that the statue would draw would lead to the city having more money to fix itself.
Fame in my post was not the end in itself. It is the means or rather accurately an euphemism for tourism.

This is Mumbai during monsoons.

Is this the tourist paradise you are dreaming about ?

370921-mumbairain-floods.jpg

mumbai-floods.jpg

2861824-3x2-940x627.jpg

This is Mumbai during summer,

279319_29773055.jpg

Mumbai in winter,

Crawford-Market.jpg

No storm water drainage, Now sewage treatment, no underground drainage, no drinking water,

But the good news is we are getting a brand new Statue for 500 Million $.

How can anyone with a bit of common sense and self respect be blind to the obvious realities of Mumbai.

Last edited:
How do u think india will invite money from this endeavour?
Speaking conservatively this cost will double in coming years.
Now include cost of babu who will be govt paid servent on this. Bmc etc.
Then political visits etc.
Consultant
Loss of fisherman lively hood.
Lastly the interest as basic 8 to 10 %

Now to coverup up basic expenses india need to sell. Atleast 35000 tickets every day for a price of 100 rupee each for 100 years every

Marathis of all political stripes are proud of Shivaji. I cannot blame anyone for playing politics here

PM who came running from Delhi before the polls, is not a Maratha. And he is the Orchestra conductor with a baton.
Symphony has just begun.

And Mayawati is a Dalit.

Its funny how both of them have the same mentality. No ?

I was just pointing out that it was not a Maratha thing. Shivaji goes way beyond that for us.

You should also know that Marathas have a healthy disdain for Brahmins, including the ruling Peshwa dynasty. The old royal families till date refuse to set foot within the Shaniwar Wada.

If that is what the electorate wants and votes for a Government who wishes it then very resoundingly - Yes.

The people made their choices clear and voted in a Government. It has a mandate. You are no one now to decide on whether the State of Maharashtra wants to build the worlds biggest dick or build the worlds biggest stables.

If you are a registered voter of Maharashtra, then kindly vote for Congress or any other party of your choosing that is opposed to this move. Till then..

I am not a Marathi. I deplore the fact that you even had to say that "not just Maharashtra". It is time we move beyond petty issues of who is born of what ethnicity. As an Indian, all ethnicities of India are equally my heritage.

I support this move whole heartedly. There is nothing wrong in celebrating our history and culture in the way of our choosing and building something that is very clearly will become the landmark of Mumbai and Maharashtra.

I was trying to explain that Shivaji went way way beyond Marathi asmita and Maharashtra. For any proud Indian, he is a heroic figure of military might and victory over alien tyranny.

I was just pointing out that it was not a Maratha thing. Shivaji goes way beyond that for us.

You should also know that Marathas have a healthy disdain for Brahmins, including the ruling Peshwa dynasty. The old royal families till date refuse to set foot within the Shaniwar Wada.

You misunderstood my post.

Shivaji was the maratha icon, Mayawati and kashi ram were dalit icons (self styled).

Caste dimension to this issue is as irrelevant to the debate as that of elected government.

Shivaji transcends caste barriers. Pretty much everybody including non Maharashtra consider him one of their own.

I have no issues with Statue being of Shivaji. He is indeed the icon of Maharashtra. My only woe is the amount. $500 million can be spent to establish atleast 5 polytechs with 500 seats each. A smaller and cheaper statue will not disrespect someone of Shivaji's stature. People remember Shivaji daily when they take local from Chtrapatti Shivaji Terminus to Thane. Create something which everyone will use daily and you will live forever.

You know, surnames like Tata, Nirma, Bajaj, Dabur are going to remain forever with us because they have made something which all of us use daily. Create 100 polytechs bearing Sihavji and Jijau's name and even the people in remotest corner of Maharashtra if not India will know the name of Shivaji.

He is an Indian icon. Not just Maharashtrian. His impact and empire stretched across the length and breadth of the Indian subcontinent. Had INDIANS (including traitorous Hindus) not conspired and plotted and put men and money against the Marathas, India would never have groveled for 200 years under the white man.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom