What's new

India left "disappointed" as US goes ahead with F-16 sale to Pakistan.

Does only one pilot wear the Jhmcs helmet in a twin seater? Why 14 helmets when buying 8 aircraft?

Does only one pilot wear the Jhmcs helmet in a twin seater? Why 14 helmets when buying 8 aircraft?
I'm guessing 12 are for the 6 F-16Ds and 2 for the 2 F-16Cs. It seems the PAF is planning to use the F-16Ds for mostly strike purposes, or at least more than just training.

Since the PAF is planning to use these 8 to set up a second Block-52+ squadron, I am wondering if the plan involves allocating all 14 F-16Cs to No. 5 Squadron and having all 12 F-16Ds in another squadron to serve as OCU and strike.

Now that they're trying to utilize the F-16 platform for strike, I wonder if they're going to make a request for JSOW, JDAM-ER and Harpoon Block-II (for F-16). It isn't as if the PAF doesn't have alternatives, it can equip the JF-17 with comparable systems from China and South Africa.

The F16 package is good deal what political agenda is there we don't know

But as for the hardware it's second to none

With Viper helos and new F16 USA is forced to give Pakistan top of the line equipment as Chinese gear is also good match now

Hopefully it raises some eyebrows in PMO and we don't follow a pro US SCS stance, rather a pro India SCS stand and forget about India US Strategic relationship.

Well, I dont understand why some of you Indians think a mere 8 or even more F16 sale to Pakistan is a cause for breaking strategic ties with the U.S. That's just short term thinking and a misguided policy.

Lets take an example: When the India insists on carrying on with its close ties/relations with Iran while purchasing bilions of dollars of oil from Iran despite U.S/western opposition/sanctions , I dont see the U.S/west talking about breaking strategic relations with India or whatever. The hell, even Papa Russia is normalizing relations with Pakistan and talking about selling/providing them with weapons. I don't see many Indians condemning/badmouthing Russia for this. It shouldnt be the case anyway.

So we should always look at things from the big picture and avoid this zero sum game. U.S-India (just like Russia-India) ties should be bigger than this notwithstanding India's legitimate concerns :meeting:

F-16 sale: India’s protests will have no effect on Obama; Pakistan is too vital to US interests in Afghanistan

• Narendra Modi will get an opportunity to share his concerns once again when he travels to the US next month for Nuclear Interest Group meeting.

In the coming hours and days Indian TV channels and anchors will go hoarse complaining about the US decision and demand that President Barack Obama take back the notification. Some will argue that US cannot be trusted and that it plays a double game. Others might question Modi government’s tilt towards the US saying the Obama administration is not sensitive to India’s security concerns.

But, India’s protest is not going to impact the Obama Administration’s decision. Washington does not see Pakistan through India’s prism and make its strategic decisions based on bonhomie shared with New Delhi.

Before we look at the geopolitical reality that has dictated this move it would be pertinent to note that Russia has warmed up to Pakistan. In January a Russian delegation was in Islamabad where discussions on military sales took place. Moscow has been unhappy with New Delhi’s tilt towards Washington and has, in the last couple of years, offered to sell military equipment to Pakistan.

In November 2014, Pakistan and Russia had signed a bilateral defence cooperation agreement that was followed by another ‘technical cooperation agreement’. Last year, Russia signed a deal for the sale of four Mi-35 attack helicopters to Pakistan.

The defence deal marked a major shift in Russian policy towards Islamabad. In this background he US government has decided to sell jets.

Like it or not, Pakistan is central to the future of Afghanistan and US recognises that. In recent weeks the Quadrilateral Talks between Afghanistan, Pakistan, US and China have started with those involved agreeing to a broad outline within which talks would take place with Taliban. In recent months Taliban fighters have made tremendous advance in different districts of the country and the Afghan security forces have lacked both capability and capacity to challenge them. In Kunduz province 500 Taliban fighters took on a few thousand Afghan army soldiers and after holding on to the city centre for some time they have been pushed to the outskirts of the city. They continue to control the area outside and Afghan government knows that they would be challenged again the coming weeks. In Helmand province US troops are being dispatched as Afghan security forces have failed to neutralise the committed Taliban fighters.

A major spring offensive is expected from Taliban once snows melt. Washington needs Pakistan’s support to influence Taliban factions to join talks for peace. While it is widely believed that Pakistan’s army and ISI have ample leverage with Taliban the generals have informed the Americans that they have limited influence and their role should not be taken for granted.

Whatever the fact may be, Pakistan cannot be ignored. That is a given around which any discussion or debate on military sales to Islamabad can be conducted. India’s stand notwithstanding, the US believes that Pakistan has been a victim of terrorism and backs army offensive in the tribal areas. General Raheel Sharif and US Army chief have telechats daily to discuss the security situation.

Another reality that stares at South Asia is that the US will soon be consumed by presidential elections. With Iowa and New Hampshire primaries behind us the entire US administration will get into election mode come May. President Obama would soon become a lame duck president and but for important foreign policy decisions no other decision would be taken until a new occupant of White House takes charge in January 2017.

The Obama administration has been under pressure for announcing a withdrawal of combat troops from Afghanistan without a correct assessment of the ground situation and the political reality of a weak government in Kabul. Pakistan’s geographical and demographic proximity to Afghanistan cannot be ignored any less than its political influence on that country.

Washington uses a carrot and stick policy towards Islamabad and the decision to sell F16s needs to be seen and understood in this light.

F-16 sale: India’s protests will have no effect on Obama; Pakistan is too vital to US interests in Afghanistan - Firstpost

8 F-16 are hurting them so much??? :o::o::o:

I thought F-16 Block 52+ is very inferior to Indian Su-30 MKI why so butt hurt then? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On Topic: After these 8 F-16 is PAF looking to get more or...??

I thought F-16 Block 52+ is very inferior to Indian Su-30 MKI why so butt hurt then? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think these are not the last 8. After delivery of these 8, if things are going good between Pakistan and USA at that time then we might see another small order of of 6-8 F16.

I will bet that within or at the end of the two year period these F-16s are delivered, the PAF will order additional new-built F-16s. It'll either be through multiple incremental orders or through one final big batch.
late next year either mid q3 or q4. that means they would have began pre assembling them already.

because more f16s mean more work for MKI pilots. More work means more sweat. That will ruin their knight in shiny armour image. Or should I say knight in shiny g suit?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom