What's new

India’s cotton export ban violates global trade norms: Bangladesh

Any source for the Bold part above?

Personal past experience within the industry in the field of automation. They are the pioneers of IT within Pakistan.

In Pakistan the IT boom has come forth due to 4 major industry shifts

1. Textiles moving towards automation
2. NADRA projects (NICOP and MRP)
3. Banking Privatization (Straight through Processing, Anti-money Laundering, CRMs).
4. Telecom proliferation

The next one my guess would be e-governance if Imran Khan's plan gets executed.

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Fcuk with trade global norms, First comes Indian consumer then the rest

India has a surplus, genius - its asking its farmers to under-produce to facilitate its textile industry to compete with foreign industries.

Personal past experience within the industry in the field of automation. They are the pioneers of IT within Pakistan.

In Pakistan the IT boom has come forth due to 4 major industry shifts

1. Textiles moving towards automation
2. NADRA projects (NICOP and MRP)
3. Banking Privatization (Straight through Processing, Anti-money Laundering, CRMs).
4. Telecom proliferation

The next one my guess would be e-governance if Imran Khan's plan gets executed.

Oh! so you meant that the textile industry is one of the most advanced industry in Pakistan and not Pakistani textile industry being one of the most advanced textile industries in the world?

The problem was the Pakistani textile market which is one of the most advanced (technologically) in the world. It needs a lot of cotton that the local supply cannot meet despite Pakistan being a major cotton producer.

India does not have a shortage of cotton - its facing a reduction in buyers for its textiles compared to Pakistani textiles. Its the rice scandal all over again - where India could not fight product to product so they decided to use underhand tactics. With the rice, they sold their rice shipments at a loss, in the hope that if they did it for some years Pakistani exports would die and the industry would crash - didn't happen, Pakistan played the quality card and we came out winners with Indians only incurring huge losses.

They couldn't just ban it for Pakistan this time with all the nonsense about MFN going to India. This is an MFN country which plays underhand tactics when it can't compete product against product? Pakistan will meet its supply from somewhere or the other.

You can bet, that China which has an even larger textile industry won't be too pleased about this underhanded tactic.

What would India do if all three nations found alternatives? Indian farmer would be the ultimate net-loser.
Makes sense. After reading your post other things come to my mind. They may have taken the apparent decision to influence price of cotton in the international commodity futures market to enable their businessmen to make some considerable short-term profit. Otherwise how they can now speak of a possible review of decision if the shortage thing was true. Just a thought.

Oh! so you meant that the textile industry is one of the most advanced industry in Pakistan and not Pakistani textile industry being one of the most advanced textile industries in the world?

I said technologically advanced textile industry and not since now, since the 90s - I didn't say it produces the most superior product (although anyone in the textile industry would tell you Pakistani textile products are of a very good quality). You know the capability to switch yarn cartridges was not there in most 1st world nations until recently and Pakistan had it since the 90s! The most tech work to do in textiles revolves around automation and in that regards we had it made.

Pakistan being the 4th largest producer of cotton - and the largest consumer of cotton - it needs to import from India.

The industry would still go on, it will borrow from here n there and local industry is there to meet most of the demand too. Pakistan also exports to places where India can't supply, so some can be diverted from the surplus to feed the local industry.

This was an underhanded tact by India who saw that the companies are already under pressure due to the power crisis.

...If we somehow manage to find an alternative for our imports rather than india, I assure you india will suffer, may be minimal but it will suffer both in trade and in morale. We should and must find alternative. Cause india showed ourselves that it is the most untrustworthy neighbor in this universe...

...If we somehow manage to find an alternative for our imports rather than india, I assure you india will suffer, may be minimal but it will suffer both in trade and in morale. We should and must find alternative. Cause india showed ourselves that it is the most untrustworthy neighbor in this universe...

That may increase costs.

I agree, we do need to be more self-sufficient and stop being so dependent on others (not only India).

When will those two netris leave? :hitwall: :hitwall:

Ok i heard last year India Banned cotton export. So some Bangladeshi spinning mills had to import all costly cotton... So the price of their product went up. Then suddenly india lifted the ban... And no one bought from those mills.... So they had to suffer huge loss.... If it happens this year again then our spinning industry is going to face difficulty!

Bangladesh should import cotton from Kazakhstan and USA. Boycott Indian products.

Indian cottons are of Cheap Quality.

Ok i heard last year India Banned cotton export. So some Bangladeshi spinning mills had to import all costly cotton... So the price of their product went up. Then suddenly india lifted the ban... And no one bought from those mills.... So they had to suffer huge loss.... If it happens this year again then our spinning industry is going to face difficulty!

Nobody is forcing you to buy Indian cotton. Who is stopping you to produce your own cotton.

Kobiraaz bhai there were some recent news that our GoB officials went to South Sudan to discuss investment in their country in some fields, especially in agricultural, and there were unofficial talks with highest level of both Govt. with Myanmar to facilitate Bangladeshi traders to invest in farmlands of Arakan in order to avoid these kind of shortcomings by our friends. Any idea how effective it will be though? can we still meet our full demands then?

Kobiraaz bhai there were some recent news that our GoB officials went to South Sudan to discuss investment in their country in some fields, especially in agricultural, and there were unofficial talks with highest level of both Govt. with Myanmar to facilitate Bangladeshi traders to invest in farmlands of Arakan in order to avoid these kind of shortcomings by our friends. Any idea how effective it will be though? can we still meet our full demands then?

Then Bangladesh should support KONY 2012 whole heartedly as LRA now mainly operates in South Sudan especially in the agriculturally rich regions of the nation.

Then Bangladesh should support KONY 2012 whole heartedly as LRA now mainly operates in South Sudan especially in the agriculturally rich regions of the nation.

What in the world for?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom