What's new

India successfully testfires 'maneuverable' BrahMos supersonic cruise missile

It was maneuverable even before also. But its improved now and little more better than older one. There is always some scope for better and more better.

Uhh I don't see where you got that from, where in the article said that?

How much more manuverable it is now????.The target was a free floating ship.
It dosen't move a lot i suppose. Gotta know more abt it when the article says "worlds only manuverable missile".
I will try looking of more info.

Uhh I don't see where you got that from, where in the article said that?

"As Lt. Col. Bishnu Ram pressed the ignition button, the missile rose, turned sharply at 90 degrees horizontally and spectacularly carried out the manoeuvring in the form of a "S" curve and cruised over the Bay of Bengal at 2.8 times the speed of sound. "

The Hindu : Front Page : BrahMos missile test-fired successfully

BrahMos missile test-fired successfully :: BrahMos.com

The missile before induction was capable of an S curve at supersonic speeds. So this must be improvement to existing maneuvering technique

ahhhhhhhh nicee.Now thats difficult to achieve!
LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence
The article says these manoeuvrs are actually diversionary,ie it masks the general direction of the launcher warship.
Abt targeting a moving target , how fast can a target be?? 28 - 30 knots.Thats not a lot even for a subsonic missle.We are talking about a supersonic missle here.
This achievement is more in terms of masking the launch direction.
This is what i feel correct me if i am wrong :)

Last edited:
Good News...BrahMos Aerospace should now go for higher range missile.. There is no doubt it’s a perfect missile but I am fade up of continuous successful trails of below 300 KM version....If Russia is under international obligation to not to take part in any join missile project ranges beyond 300KM....let’s share the technical knowhow gained from this project with other Indian defence agencies or may be private players this time and do it our own..INDIAN FLAG :cheers:

BRAHMOS missile proves its mettle once again :: BrahMos.com

I would have little doubt in my mind that is already not happening...However you have to admit Brhamos is only one in its class and India-Russia have put lot of weight behind it...So we should continue this JV and keep on improving this missile....Thereafter we have projects like Shaurya missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where we can use this know how and increase range as much as we would like to...Remember its comparatively easy to increase the range of the missiles that techs like increasing manoueverabilty etc...

Great news buddy, one thing is for sure we should increase its range to atleast 700 Kms, although Nirbhay would be having 700Km range but that will not be supersonic.

But its really good news it was launched from VLS as that gives flexibility for all the directions attack. :devil::yahoo:

Negative...See the above given reason...

Major question is, against which defensive system this particuler Brahmos test has been conducted. Since no matter how maneuverable cruise missile, it is subject to get shot down in case it is facing multiple anti cruise missile system.

Negative...There is hardly any system which can effectively defend themselves once Brahmos is fired....If any of our frigate fired this missile in anger it is doomsday for the enemy vessel...

LoL simple logic people.Cruise missiles are used against "ships" (which do move but, not fast enough to dodge a missle) and buildings(which do not move at all).Therefore not a lot of maneuvering is required to target them(though it shure does play a vital role in defeating a ships defences)
I believe these improved missiles will be "harder" to kill(as a result of better manoeuvring),and to an extent will be able to mask the direction of the launching ship.

Last edited:
Uhhhhh, I see this article is quite ambiguous. Has anyone considered that by maneuverable, it means the missile can only fly linearly or plunge downwards as a ditch effort because it hasn't the ability to turn, so to glorify it slightly, Indian officials label "plunging" as turning/maneuvering?

Uhhhhh, I see this article is quite ambiguous. Has anyone considered that by maneuverable, it means the missile can only fly linearly or plunge downwards as a ditch effort because it hasn't the ability to turn, so to glorify it slightly, Indian officials label "plunging" as turning/maneuvering?

Do u really want an answer to that:no:?????

I would have little doubt in my mind that is already not happening...However you have to admit Brhamos is only one in its class and India-Russia have put lot of weight behind it...So we should continue this JV and keep on improving this missile....Thereafter we have projects like Shaurya missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where we can use this know how and increase range as much as we would like to...Remember its comparatively easy to increase the range of the missiles that techs like increasing manoueverabilty etc...

Agreed! ...Thanks
:cheers:

Great News..:victory::bounce:
One thing is have noticed, I dont know whether others have notice it or not, that there is no more tot-for-tat testing from Indias western neighbors. Till a few years ago, there used to be similar testing from across the border when India tested any missile. If India tested Agni-I/II, Pakistan would test Ghauri/Shaheen, If India tested Bhramos, Pakistan would test Babur/Ra'ad missiles ect. But lately this trend has stopped. Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

My theory is that, they have got very limited number of missiles from where they came from :azn::whistle: Pakistan cannot waste them for showing they are keeping pace with India. Also, After M18/Shahen-II missiles (2000-2001), I don't think they have got any new missile technologies to show. Whoever was giving them these missiles must have realized that its better to limit Pakistan to shaheen-II range. Just my 2 cents. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom