What's new

India successfully tests Nirbhay cruise missile

Congratulations to India and DRDO for such a successful flight. It is really a great achievement, and judging by DRDO's present technological advancement and the characteristics of Nirbhay, it has left Babur a bit behind (though deployment status is another story).
Exactly which turbofan is being used aboard Nirbhay?

For those expecting the range extension of Nirbhay, there are 3 fundamental ways of range extensions for subsonic cruise missiles:
1. More efficient turbofan
2. Missile redesign to accommodate more fuel.
3. Increase length of the missile body.
Now, unless there is official confirmation, range is not likely to be increased. Reason being, the turbofan has already a quite good performance, and I doubt there will be a better one available anytime soon. Same is the case with internal design. And comparing with other renowned cruise missiles, the length is already optimum (however only as much as 0.5m of extension in length could give rise to considerably large range extension).
IIRC the ideal range for a subsonic CM was 1500 kms. Nirbhay is only 1000kms.

There is a distinct possibility that the range is increased in next iteration. The missile is 3 years away from final acceptance and production. It can and will undergo changes.

I want to see, whether this shurlee ka pattaka even works.

Where is the target hit video from a reliable source?

I meant the other way - increase payload for reduced fuel at the cost of range. But if warheads are of fixed design than it is a moot point. I was under impression that warheads would go through constant change, with type of explosives, requirements etc.

Yeah I realized it later and edited the post accordingly.
Yes the warhead section is of a fixed size.

Also, the talk of 24 different warhead types is just paper-talk. Because such warheads aren't "swappable", you can't swap a nuclear warhead for a conventional one. For that, separate variants have to be developed (just like US did, separate nuclear/conventional/bomblet/anti-ship Tomahawk variants). So 24 different variants of Nirbhay? I don't think so.

As far as Pakistani response is concerned.... Pakistan Developed its own Cruise Missile a decade ago in the shape of deadly Babur and RAAD Cruise Missiles....Indians are to far behind in this type of technology as of yet.

IIRC the ideal range for a subsonic CM was 1500 kms. Nirbhay is only 1000kms.

There is a distinct possibility that the range is increased in next iteration. The missile is 3 years away from final acceptance and production. It can and will undergo changes.

Yeah sure it is an ideal range, but that requires a very capable turbofan engine. Lets see what DRDO brings up next.

Because of the issues with building the turbofan engine.
Details on the turbofan please?

As far as Pakistani response is concerned.... Pakistan Developed its own Cruise Missile a decade ago in the shape of deadly Babur and RAAD Cruise Missiles....Indians are to far behind in this type of technology as of yet.

Sach Kaha bhai...

Ab yeh batao jawab mein NASR kab test kar rahe ho? Diwali ke pahele ya Diwali ke baad.?

With similar dimensions, Nirbhay has already surpassed both Babur 1 & 2 .

India already has an anwser for the Babur/ Raad missile, akash will knock them out of the air.

Yeah I realized it later and edited the post accordingly.
Yes the warhead section is of a fixed size.

Also, the talk of 24 different warhead types is just paper-talk. Because such warheads aren't "swappable", you can't swap a nuclear warhead for a conventional one. For that, separate variants have to be developed (just like US did, separate nuclear/conventional/bomblet/anti-ship Tomahawk variants). So 24 different variants of Nirbhay? I don't think so.

The size is fixed, but weight would not vary? For the same size different warhead types should have different weight. From what you are saying, a missile can only have fixed warhead type. That would put a severe limit on what can be delivered.

Congratulations to India and DRDO for such a successful flight. It is really a great achievement, and judging by DRDO's present technological advancement and the characteristics of Nirbhay, it has left Babur a bit behind (though deployment status is another story).

Please expand on that a bit more !

Back
Top Bottom