What's new

India successfully tests Nirbhay cruise missile

yes that will be challenge but will be done in next few tests

1.when can we expect another test ?

2.but priority will be

Navy Ship launched - we dont have enough sub platforms to look forward to deployments - navy needs them for sea control, land attack as they are desperately short of long range attack systems so they will get 1st priority

Army / SFC - they will form the major users but they have alternatives so they will get second priority

IAF air launched - IAF has moving platforms so Su30 can fire Air launched Brahmos (290km + 500km su30) so easily 800 km range so they wll get 3rd priority + they are getting brahmos mini by 2017/2018 so they too have alternate system

Navy Subs - since we dont have enough subs to deploy these + alternate systems are available K5 K4 so they will get last priority + will be timed to produced when many subs + arihant follow ons enter service

+

i think we can expect both missile silo / VLS AND a torpedo tube (encapsulated) launch version for Subs as the dimensions of Nirbhay are similar to dimensions of Brahmos M , which too is being planned for torpedo tubbe launch

3. multiple wardheads ?
cant see how with 500kg payload
cluster bomb type - maybe & desirable

4. do we need it to be recoverable ?

not required as per me

5. it is required so the production setup will be caliberated for huge orders so no issues on that one

6. plus i think it was directly tested with cannister launch config
[/quote]

1. Next two tests should be for validating the basic design and functions, so expect both of them in next 12-18 mths.

2.Yes, you are right. But I was talking about challenges not priorities. Naval ship based and land based versions will be the easiest to develop. The AF and Sub version are a bit tricky. Though we have a solid base in underwater launch tech due to K4/K15 series. Also, I expect the AF version to have a stealthier airframe a la storm shadow.

3. Mulitple warheads are not submuntions. Cluster bombs with smart seekers is what I have in mind. Something like TLAM-D.

TLAM-D-Profile-S.jpg

4. Eventually we would need a recoverable vehicle. Nirbhay is where we begin.

5. Large order does not guarantee quality production. In fact I'm most concerned about this aspect.

6. Not exactly a canister launch today. In such launch It's the canister that is tested more than the missile (nirbhay already has almost all modifications req for a canister launch).

Congratulations to dear DRDO.
Thank you so much for this achievement would be icing on the cake if developed before Pakistan .
And gods know when it will be in service with army and gods know when we will make air and submarine version.
May be when world will already deployed hypersonic cruise missile with 10 Mac speed.

So now Indian stark is playing the game of negative rating a post that was already negative rated by another Indian... Well, there are more Indians with rating permission. You know where to do it...

Isn't it absurd that Pakistanis even brought "TOMAHAWK" in the discussion about an Indian Missile?

Does anybody have any shred of evidence to suggest that the technology was borrowed? The only similarity that I see between Tomahawk and Nirbhay is that both are Cruise Missiles!

Even discounting MTCR or similar Missile technology transfer embargoes, the relationship between India and the US has been cold to say the least, during the development timeframe of this missile.

Remember, it was the same Pakistanis who made fun of India during the Khobragade incident. Now suddenly they think that US transferred technology for this missile? If it did, it must have happened couple of weeks ago during our PM's US visit! ;)
We are not saying USA teansferred it but Nirbhay is complete copy off Tomahawk just like our BABUR

Inaccurate claims are from Indian side as well. Grow up. Learn to debate properly.
Plz enlightened me about inaccurate claims made by Indian. .!!!
abt the last part... first tell that to people like asiaunion, janasad... and there we have TTA munir and then try lecturing me!!
im serious abt the first part...plz do enlighteneme!!

We are not saying USA teansferred it but Nirbhay is complete copy off Tomahawk just like our BABUR
plz enlightene me how we copied a missile without tot or reverse engineering. you had the missile while we dont...why do you think we copied it??? if is that cuz of design, all cruise missiles look almost same!!

Can you please list down the similarities of Tomahawk Vs Babur Vs Nirbhaya ? Including Guidance system, motor control etc? If not .. please keep quite.

Every plane has wings, Fuel to fly, Pilot to fly , engine to fly and engines fuel and oxygen to burn .... but that doesn't make every plane is same and copy.

NIRBHAY%2BLaunch%2BPic-2.JPG

This is Nirbhay.

Tomahawk_Block_IV_cruise_missile_-crop.jpg

This is Tomahawk.

A baby could see that the design is totally different.
Actually your post makes incomplete comparison. Nirbhay has yet to eject the rocket motor and open the wings in the pic.

There is lots of difference between 2. Nirbhay has a submerged air intake( basically like a hole inside the body) while Tomhawk and Babur has intakes popping out under the belly. Just go have a look for better understanding and cut this crap.
Tomhawk air intake:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/image-quest-tomahawk-slcm-air-intake-600-124011015006712.jpg

Nirbhay air intake:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TRzh499ovro/UT_EnE7tkTI/AAAAAAAAEww/YyQex7ibs9Y/s1600/h.jpg

Last edited:
There is lots of difference between 2. Nirbhay has a submerged air intake( basically like a whole inside the body) while Tomhawk and Babur has intakes popping out under the belly. Just go have a look for better understanding and cut this crap.

That was the old Tomahawk, the newer versions have the same thing.
Tomahawk+missile-03.jpg

a-tactical-tomahawk-block-iv-cruise-stocktrek-images.jpg

Back
Top Bottom