What's new

India To Buy $60 Million Supercomputer To Predict Monsoon

You did nothing wrong. Stop apologising. You didn't troll, all you did was state a FACT!

You need to understand, this is not a pakistani forum. This is a money making machine for its owners, and these Indians help boost their profits. So when facts offend these Indians who dont like seeing facts , they will complain and the owners/admins act to remove the facts so that they can pretend its all a lie and think they are the greatest in their wonderland.
Ok as you wish...:D
Obviously I do nothing which my Pakistani Friends feel Bad..

Oh the irony! The troll himself gets trolled.:lol:

Keep it up. Give these people a taste of their own medicine from time to time.
This is 'our' house. :D
ofcourse this is our house....
But I in result I have to face a swear ban...Which will take me away from my house for somedays...Otherwise Indians My F**t

Just read his profile...respect to the guy.

But he didn't design the pentium 4. He led the development of the first pentium line...you know, along with other engineers of other nationalities.

Well that was just a reply to the troll.....So dont read deeply into it.

Good move. Were the monsoons quite late this year? I have to say, after the land has been parched, there is nothing more amazing than seeing the monsoons come.

Good move. Were the monsoons quite late this year? I have to say, after the land has been parched, there is nothing more amazing than seeing the monsoons come.

Yep, I think they arrived a week later than they usually do.

@Topic
I think Modi missed a trick this year to urge the farmers (especially those severely affected by droughts) to prepare for the monsoons with small check dams and other earthen structures to stop and store Monsoon run off wherever they could. I thought he could have effectively used his "Mann Ki Baat" (or "Monkey Bath" as his opponents would like to describe it) to convey the importance and urgency of such measures.

Like these guys and many others in Maharashtra/MP
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...pool-in-for-mud-bund/articleshow/52116946.cms

What Happened to India's indigenous model to predict rainfall??

In the next six months, the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, will be able to operationalise a dynamic numerical climate model it has developed to forecast extended-range rainfall for a timescale of 15-20 days after results from the experimental stage were found to be reliable.

"For the first time, we have indigenously developed a prediction system that was not available in India. The tests have been done, the performance of the experimental model was found to be good and can be operationalise. We can now forecast rain every five days for 15-20 days especially for the agriculture sector which is the mainstay of the economy," M Rajeevan, director, IITM told HT
still going on... R&D takes time... sometimes more than anticipated..
Read the article carefully......it talks about buying of supercomputer......algo will be ours

Thus to meet the demand for accurate prediction of weather and climate, a leadership-class HPC system with petaflops-scale capabilities is required. This requirement is similar to other climate centers in the world.
Objectives
  • To establish a petaflops-scale HPC facility at MoES institutes to cater the needs of modeling activities of short-, medium-, extended- and long-range predictions, R & D to improve these predictions under the Monsoon Mission, Climate Change Research, National Training Centre and other programs of the Institute, and also to share the facility with other groups in the country.
  • To make available computational resources to the academic and other R&D community to work on the operational forecasting system and to improve forecast skill.
  • To maintain the facility by providing the necessary supporting infrastructure such as UPS, cooling system, Power and Generator backup. Significant investment has to be planned for maintaining the Facility.
  • To facilitate development of Indian model for monsoon weather and climate prediction and to generate climate projections.
Here above article says:

From your quote:
Man that could be an algorithm,nd we need a high computing tech to run meteorological models. The new requirement for supercomputers is for running that algorithm.

The indigenous model has already been developed and has been undergoing rigorous testing and validation with the existing HPC facilities at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and has already shown more than 90 per cent agreement with observed results, according to findings published in the Bulletin of American Meteorological Society.

The model cannot be standardized without UN’s Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) validation. The IPCC mandates that every country tries to quantify how human activities are influencing climate. IITM right now has a combined peak computing power of around 1.14 petaflops with two of its HPC systems -

#1 AADITYA 790+ TeraFlops HPC System
#2 Bhaskara 350+ TeraFlops HPC System

The planned acquisition of the new HPC system is a part of this project to expand the existing HPC facilities at IITM since there is a shortfall of computational power to address the R&D of a new climate model and using the existing climate models to deliver regular weather forecasts simultaneously as IITM is involved in both R&D of new systems and supplying regular updates to IMD using the old models. By next year India will have the computational power to make its own climate assessment model, allowing the country to participate in next assessment of the UN’s Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

India’s new climate model works best for South Asia

Why can't we make ourselves a better one... already operating eka.

@PARIKRAMA @Water Car Engineer @GURU DUTT @Chanakya's_Chant @Abingdonboy @nair

We can and we have been doing this since quite a time. Interestingly it all began with frustration. In the early 1980s, the Indian Institute of Science and the India Meteorological Department were trying to import a supercomputer each, but the US government would not permit it because of sanctions on the sale of high technology items after India's 1974 nuclear test. Thus was born the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) in 1988 which has since been delivering HPC systems for IMD and it's weather forecasting applications.

There's a Computational Earth Sciences (CES) Group within C-DAC which is engaged in such atmospheric sciences R&D activities using the PARAM series of super computers. Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) as they call it - CES conducts research to improve the seasonal forecast of the Indian Summer Monsoon using Global as well as Regional Numerical models. They use very high- resolution global forecast model for the seasonal forecasts of Indian Summer monsoon rainfall and also carry out global coupled model simulations for climate change studies.

CDAC1.PNG

CDAC2.PNG
C-DAC
C-DAC

They have even developed an automated workflow for real time weather simulations: “Anuman” using Weather Research and Forecast (WRF) model of National Centre of Atmospheric Research (NCAR), USA.

index.aspx

index.aspx

India Development Gateway (InDG) user specific weather forecast

index.aspx

Kerala State Planning Board (KSPB): Portal name is Kaalavastha which gives Real Time Weather Forecast for Alapuzha Agri Ecological Zone (AEZ).
C-DAC

The thing is they use their own supercomputers to augment IMD's inputs but the weather model they use is American instead.

It was because of such combined efforts they have performed pretty well in recent times. As it had done in the case of Cyclone Phailin in 2013, IMD hit the bull’s eye when it came to tracking the course of Cyclone Hudhud in 2014, assessing its intensity and predicting the place and timing of its landfall.

While even the US-based Joint Typhoon Warning Centre (JTWC), which is among the most trusted weather forecast stations in the world, got it all wrong, IMD was spot on with its prediction on Hudhud.
Cyclone Hudhud: Spot on twice, India's Met Dept beats global weathermen hollow

Actually, the supercomputer we are talking about getting is not our first attempt at using numerical weather predicting. In an article in the Economic Times dated July 26, 2012, the IMD said it was still using statistical forecasting, even though they have had a dynamic model to predict the weather for a couple of years.

The reason for not using the new dynamic weather prediction system was because of a lack of expertise. If everything goes well, by 2017 we'll make this dynamical model operational by replacing the statistical model.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom