What's new

India to ink largest-ever defence deal with the US soon

New Recruit

Reaction score
India to ink largest-ever defence deal with the US soon
26 Dec 2008, 2313 hrs IST, Rajat Pandit , TNN

NEW DELHI: Even as tensions with Pakistan persist in the wake of 26/11, India is now poised to ink its biggest-ever defence deal with US: the
around Rs 8,500-crore contract for the supply of eight Boeing P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance (LRMR) aircraft for the Navy.

"Virtually all the steps'' required for the contract to be signed, including tabling of it in the Cabinet Committee on Security for approval, have been completed, said sources on Friday.

The first of these LRMR aircraft will be delivered within four years of the contract being actually signed, with the rest being handed over by 2015, said sources.

The LRMR planes will replace the eight ageing and fuel-guzzling Russian-origin Tupolev-142Ms. Customised for India and based on the Boeing 737 commercial airliner, the radar-packed P-8I aircraft will go a long way in plugging the huge gaps in Navy's maritime snooping capabilities with a range of over 600 nautical miles.

Incidentally, Navy is also in the hunt for six new medium-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft for around Rs 1,600 crore to achieve its aim of an effective three-tier surveillance grid in the entire Indian Ocean.

Both Navy and Coast Guard have come in for some criticism for not being able to pre-empt the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai, even though the two forces maintain that they did not get "actionable intelligence'' in time.

The P-8I aircraft will also be armed with Harpoon missiles, torpedoes and depth bombs to give them potent anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare capability. Moreover, they "will enhance interoperability'' between the Indian and American navies, in keeping with the growing strategic embrace between the two countries.

The LRMR deal will supplant last year's $962-million contract signed with US for six C-130J `Super Hercules' aircraft for use by Indian special forces.

US is still, however, leagues behind Russia, Israel and France in supplying military hardware and software to India. While Russia notches up sales worth about $1.5 billion to India every year, Israel chalks up an annual tally of around $1 billion.

Apart from the C-130J deal, America's only big-ticket deal with India in recent years has been the $190-million contract in 2002 to supply 12 AN/TPQ-37 firefinder weapon-locating radars.

Then, of course, India last year acquired amphibious transport vessel USS Trenton for $48.23 million, with the six UH-3H helicopters to operate from it costing another $39 million.

During its quest for LRMR planes, India had earlier rejected the US offer to lease two P-3C Orion reconnaissance aircraft under a $133-million contract. India, of course, remains unhappy over the American decision to sell eight more P-3C Orion aircraft to Pakistan, which already has two such planes in its inventory.

India to ink largest-ever defence deal with the US soon-India-The Times of India

Last edited:
if that happens its going to be a complete stop of the Russia technology who ever is a friend of US is an enemy of Russia hope you achieve your goal to get US technology and risk Russian friendship.US is a well trusted allie like we see today,Pakistan sooner or later we are going to shoot down drones than US will probably leave Afganistan.72% of Kabul still in a control of Taliban i smell a big failure of US n NATO they should be ashmed and leave the SOUTH-ASIA alone.

if that happens its going to be a complete stop of the Russia technology who ever is a friend of US is an enemy of Russia hope you achieve your goal to get US technology and risk Russian friendship.US is a well trusted allie like we see today,Pakistan sooner or later we are going to shoot down drones than US will probably leave Afganistan.72% of Kabul still in a control of Taliban i smell a big failure of US n NATO they should be ashmed and leave the SOUTH-ASIA alone.

Russia is going to celebrate 2009 as the "year of India". We are developing 5th generation aircraft with Russia sukhois are still coming and they are asking Birlas, Tatas and Ambanis to invest in Russia.

Navy needs quick upgradation to try and maintain some balance with chinese navy. I hope deal is signed soon.

Oh How? Can you please enlighten

Ecnomically
Military the most important ( you guys have always get helped from Russia to even get a men hormore enhancing product from them China has it own weapons powerfull effective efficent modernize army sure we can see in BOOOMBAY attack the kevlars and stuff China will be the superpower upcoming next year.India has yet to become a regional power and it can only happen if thiers no Pakistan,for sake my US History teacher was making fun of Indian commando landing on the building and he fell he didnt land like he was suppose to land )
India is always been colonized it was Muslims who ran the British away and you guys were wise enough to have a country

EDIT - Democracy in India ; Muslims Indian bollywood actors cant get a flat ; Killings of Sikhs,Christians and Muslims on its peak repeatidly reports 2-4 incidents a day.

Last edited:
^^

So according to you China doesn't buy weapons from Russia at all? Do they export them according to you? Oh come on now. Regarding economy yes they have a edge. That's good. India is progressing according to it's own pace.

hi guys,
i think instead of putting some baseless blames on each other, it would be more fruitful if we critisice other with sources and claims. As far as i know, yes its true india is emerging rapidly in southasia economically. But if we take the recent attacks into considerations, it clearly shows how vulnerable india is to terrorist. A clear failure of intelligence service. Taking almost 3 days to tumble trapped terrorist, enlighten further failure. And putting blame on pakistan with no reason, a big political failure.

Indian military procurement procedures are one of SLOWEST in the world, just ask the Russians!! It takes their civilian bureaucrat literally years to decide until which time the technology becomes old. Regarding the Maritime Surveillance Aircraft from US, it seems highly unlikely that they would be in service or the contract inked anytime soon as both India and US will be having a change of Governments thereby delaying the deal further.

Regarding China vs. India, well quite frankly the Indians credit themselves with too much without even having an idea of the military might of the Chinese. Indian Army (1 milllion plus) will be overwhelmed by half of the Chinese Army alone!! The Chinese have carried out a Thermonuclear explosion in the 60's! When did India explode a nuke???.....oh yeah, 30 years later!!

I just saw how a thread got derailed, and its sad. India Pak Enmity should be kept off the table atleast in this Forum, because I feel this Forum is far mature than others. Keep it that way please.

One more thing, I once saw a Pakistani guy posting things favoring Israel on a group and I was sort of disturbed because he was going full throttle. I support Israels Right to Exist, and I support Palestines right to Exist too. I hate disproportionate violence. So I messaged this guy and started talking with him. I said to him that I ve been to Palestine and I have seen the suffering. I have also seen the Fear with which Israelis live too. He was forthcoming too. Then Finally I asked him, " Do you Hate India?" He said " Hell no, Pakistanis Dont hate India, Most of them just dont care, The rest are Jealous, thinking where they are after 60 years and where India is"

I told him that people might think he is an Indian parading as a Pakistani ( I thought of it too, but doubts vanished when I saw he really is a Pakistan, Pics, friends etc)

Well My friends, India is not Utopia. People still go to bed Hungry, and wake up having nothing to Eat! India is Growing, not Shining. Yes We are trying to beat Poverty and Insha Allah will be able to rise above it. But Please dont blurt out foolishness like India is not developing etc etc. It is at Par with the best in the World, and Pakistan can be there too, I.E if we stop the Hate and vile being spread!

China, well they are developing at a faster pace because, Things happen fast there. They dont care about much, they can Kick people out of their homes and build stadiums (like for the olympics). The same kind of stuff was tried in West Bengal and look what happened! They couldnt do it, because people in India, once they are oraganised to fight for something, die to achieve it.

I admire China, but will never wish to be born there. I love my Freedom. I love my right to Live life the way I want to, and Lastly I hate communism.

I think Pakistan should protest to United States for weapon deal with India including Harpoon missiles. Pakistan should give warning to United States that if this deal goes through, then all logistic support will be withdrawn from United States in Pakistan.

I think Pakistan should protest to United States for weapon deal with India including Harpoon missiles. Pakistan should give warning to United States that if this deal goes through, then all logistic support will be withdrawn from United States in Pakistan.
LOL they are not selling us the USS Kitty or Enterprise, its jus some planes, capable planes. And do u think they will listen to empty threats? Be realistic. Pakistan should ask for the same stuff, not give threats and wait and see if USA complies.

@ahmeddsid-Good Post there.

At the moment India is 'balancing' its ties between both US and Russia.Walking on a tight rope would be a better description.

And btw,Russia is going to celebrate 2009 as 'Year of India'.

It primarily means closer cultural and economic ties.

Good luck with this?India is the only country can afford the expensive deal with US right now....... Why don't you deal with Russia?

China, well they are developing at a faster pace because, Things happen fast there. They dont care about much, they can Kick people out of their homes and build stadiums (like for the olympics). The same kind of stuff was tried in West Bengal and look what happened! They couldnt do it, because people in India, once they are oraganised to fight for something, die to achieve it.

:pop:as long as our goverment keep giving us a better home before “kicking" us out of our homes,we have no problem with it:rofl:,actually i have a old house,and i can't wait to see our goverment to pull it down,you have no idea how many farmers were easily become rich guys overnight because of this "goverment kicking",god,i cann't wait to joint them.... unfortunately my house is just an apartment house,all i can get is an new one with same size ..... i guess that's why the Mumbai citizens don't wanna leave their slum,your goverment give them nothing,or worse homes than before:rofl:

here are the pictures about the “Three Gorges” project, you think the old homes are better than the new ones? sorry, we don't agree with you indian :rofl:

39fc516e08d49d7216f167c48cb99094.jpg

7d604fd01bd1840f138dbb815726b73d.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom