What's new

India Today Mood of the Nation poll: PM Modi's political invincibility continues

Not as long as Gandhis are ruling the roost. Opposition needs an alternative to that buffoon Rahul Gandhi. Surely, in a vast country like India there'd be a capable leader somewhere, beats me!
i did not realize rahul gandhi is that bad

A popular opinion is not always the right one. I'm not a sheep that I have to have the same opinion as the crowd. I am fully aware that he'll win 2019 with absolute majority and perhaps with more seats than 2014. There is no opposition at the moment. We are in a political crisis in India. On one hand, we have an incompetent govt and on the other hand we have an idiot like RG as the opposition leader.

A popular opinion over a course of 5-6 years has to be the right one! Are you now even challenging the democracy in this country? Or constitution?

No, opposition or not, a vote share of more than 30% (above 40% if you count NDA) is more than enough in independent India to win you elections. It has been such since 1947 and no one complained.

I can counter each of your points logically, but then, even being a very good poster yourself (which I really admire), you will call me Sanghi and what not as my views are different than yours.

i did not realize rahul gandhi is that bad

Are you serious man? Even an 8th grader is smarter than that guy. He wouldn't even be a district level leader if it wasn't for his last name.

Last edited:
A popular opinion over a course of 5-6 years has to be the right one! Are you now even challenging the democracy in this country? Or constitution?

No, opposition or not, a vote share of more than 30% (above 40% if you count NDA) is more than enough in independent India to win you elections. It has been such since 1947 and no one complained.

I can counter each of your points logically, but then, even being a very good poster yourself (which I really admire), you will call me Sanghi and what not as my views are different than yours.

40% popular vote against a divided opposition has led to landslide in the parliament

Modi government report card

Positive: 1) An assertive India 2) Good foreign policy
Negatives: 1) Kashmir (Modi don't have an idea on how to handle Kashmir) 2) Insecurity among minorities has never been higher
Neutral: 1) Economy is growing but job creation is less than satisfactory 2) 'Make in India' is good idea but the results are yet to show

Replies tp your negatives...

1) Economy had stalled in 2012-13. It has recovered so much that even after demonitization (which some "Harvard" experts claimed will slow down our growth to sub 5%) is growing at 7.2% and is the fastest growing major economy in the world!

2)Make in India is a strategic endeavor which will take atleast 10 years to bear fruit. Think about Tejas production, local naval R&D. These things never give immediate outcomes

No opposition or not, a vote share of more than 30% (above 40% if you count NDA) is more than enough in independent India to win you elections. It has been such since 1947 and no one complained.

I am not changing anything. Democracy with all its flaws is still better than the other options and I gladly accept people's verdict, but that doesn't mean that I can't criticize the govt. Congress ruled the country for 6 decades winning popular votes every single time. Following your logic, it must have been the right choice. I consider 1970-80s to be disastrous for India. Actually despite all the bad reps Nehru gets we did considerably well in the initial 15-20 years considering the situation we were in at independence. But we failed to capitalize on that foundation in the next 20-25 years. It was when there was no alternative there was a change. I honestly don't see much positives coming out of Modi govt. When there was a discussion on it a year or so ago, I said that wee needed to give him more time in order to judge him. But I think 3 years is a long enough time to judge anyone, and I am afraid it's not been good IMO.

And what's wrong with being a sanghi? Isn't Modi a sanghi too?

I am not changing anything. Democracy with all its flaws is still better than the other options and I gladly accept people's verdict, but that doesn't mean that I can't criticize the govt. Congress ruled the country for 6 decades winning popular votes every single time. Following your logic, it must have been the right choice. I consider 1970-80s to be disastrous for India. Actually despite all the bad reps Nehru gets we did considerably well in the initial 15-20 years considering the situation we were in at independence. But we failed to capitalize on that foundation in the next 20-25 years. It was when there was no alternative there was a change. I honestly don't see much positives coming out of Modi govt. When there was a discussion on it a year or so ago, I said that wee needed to give him more time in order to judge him. But I think 3 years is a long enough time to judge anyone, and I am afraid it's not been good IMO.

You can always criticise the government. Many BJP supporters criticise Modi and BJP for so many issues. But to claim that this is the worst thing to happen to Indian democracy is outright lie. Is it worse than 1975? Or corruption riddled 2009-12 of UPA where the nation was sold to anti national Jihadists and critical assets compromised (2G scam, telecom scam, etc) ?

In 3 years you are already writing the obituary of the government. But what about the lost years since independence where Congress committed blunders after blunders?

Kashmir is the gift by Nehru. So is China -India border issue . Even to this day we are regretting not taking Azad Kashmir in 1947 when we had the chance.

Replies tp your negatives...

1) Economy had stalled in 2012-13. It has recovered so much that even after demonitization (which some "Harvard" experts claimed will slow down our growth to sub 5%) is growing at 7.2% and is the fastest growing major economy in the world!

2)Make in India is a strategic endeavor which will take atleast 10 years to bear fruit. Think about Tejas production, local naval R&D. These things never give immediate outcomes

7.2% GDP growth means nothing if actual indicators are not good. Do you think it would have been 7.2% on the old series? I'm no economist but there was an instant jump in GDP numbers after they changed the base year. Let's be honest the economy doesn't feel like it's growing at over 7% and it did come down by at least a percentage point due to demonetization. Check the Q4 GDP growth of 2016-17, it was 6%.

But to claim that this is the worst thing to happen to Indian democracy is outright lie.

It's not a lie, it's an opinion. I said one of the worst, not the worst. Yes perhaps, he is as bad as 1970s. Only time will tell. I hope, I am wrong. But imo signs are not good.

And what's wrong with being a sanghi? Isn't Modi a sanghi too?

1967, 1971 and 1984 were the only elections where there was no alternative to Congress.
Congress won in 1980 for the right reasons.

1967, 1971 and 1984 were the only elections where there was no alternative to Congress.
Congress won in 1980 for the right reasons.

It's never good to have that scenario. IMO 2014 elections were one of the healthiest elections in Indian history. An arrogant government was punished fair and square, purely due to its bad performance and corruptions. But in hindsight it also forced Modi to take unhealthy corrective measures to stay in power. Now if you see the debates in India, govt's performance is hardly in the focus at all. It's all about Hindu-Muslim, Vande-mataram, tripple talaq, gau raksha and such other BS which have zero impact on the nations's future. Modi has successfully diverted the attention from performance to such trivial emotional issues. It's good politics but overall bad for the nation.

7.2% GDP growth means nothing if actual indicators are not good. Do you think it would have been 7.2% on the old series? I'm no economist but there was an instant jump in GDP numbers after they changed the base year. Let's be honest the economy doesn't feel like it's growing at over 7% and it did come down by at least a percentage point due to demonetization. Check the Q4 GDP growth of 2016-17, it was 6%.

Err... no, it does. Ask any investor in core sectors. BSE/NSE is at all time high. Most Large caps are growing creating quality jobs and strengthening the base of the economy. Indicators from Forbes, WSJ, Nomura all say that by 2018, India would be at the threshold of quantum leap in terms of paradigm shift in economic indicators. After decades, inflation is well under control. Read S&P's forecast for 2017-22 for India available at Moneycontrol

Regarding job creation, its not as if Modi will start a company from scratch and give employment to all unemployed youth. YoY, India's core sectors of Energy, Aviation, Mining, Steel, Electronics (except IT which has shown -ve growth) all have created more jobs. Agreed the pace with which it should have been is nowhere near. But with Make in india and FDI infusion in last few years, by 2018/19 the same will bear fruit (refer the S&P report).

It's never good to have that scenario. IMO 2014 elections were one of the healthiest elections in Indian history. An arrogant government was punished fair and square, purely due to its bad performance and corruptions. But in hindsight it also forced Modi to take unhealthy corrective measures to stay in power. Now if you see the debates in India, govt's performance is hardly in the focus at all. It's all about Hindu-Muslim, Vande-mataram, tripple talaq, gau raksha and such other BS which have zero impact on the nations's future. Modi has successfully diverted the attention from performance to such trivial emotional issues. It's good politics but overall bad for the nation.
without food on the table it is hard to divert attention for too long

without food on the table it is hard to divert attention for too long

Yes if this poor performance continues people would eventually wise up but not before 2 complete terms. People are still basking in Modi euphoria.

Yes if this poor performance continues people would eventually wise up but not before 2 complete terms. People are still basking in Modi euphoria.

what you and ashok321 of the world do not realize the fire is directed at the opposition

Back
Top Bottom