What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

I read at some places that an aesa version is also being developed with the help of LRDE specifically for Su30....now there were also reports that India was developing aesa with Russia, so i think this might be it....?

I guess it could be a radar for the FGFA, because the same company that made BARS and Irbis E, is developing the NG radar as well, but let me put it this way. We know LRDE wasn't able to develop the MMR for Tejas alone, so what help could they really offer to the Russian ?

The Irbis-E of the Su 35BM is not an AESA radar but a PESA, it is a further developed version of the BARS that the MKI already has. The radars on offer for the upgrade are Zhuk AE like you mentioned, but also an AESA upgrade of the BARS. By logic, the upgrade of BARS seems the best choice, because we already have nearly a decade experience with that radar and an upgrade could be more cost-effective. On the other side it is clear, that sooner or later the IN Mig 29K / KUBs will get Zhuk AE as well, that means getting a single radar for both forces would give logistical advantages too.
Another point could be important is, that Bars and Irbis-E were developed by Tikhomirov NIIP, just like the radars for Pak Fa / FGFA, which means they are highly capable and the future comitment of Russia is clear as well. Zhuk AE on the other side is developed by NIIR Phazotron and although they should be very capable as well, we heared about finacial problems during the upgrade negotioations of Mig 29SMT and possible delays in the Zhuk ME radar production. Russia will not buy more Mig 29s, except those Mig 29Ks as a stop gap till their new carriers with naval Pak Fa's will be ready. But India is already the biggest customer of Mig 29s with Zhuk ME radars, so the future potential might be dependent on our fundings and we all know that this a perfect situation for delays and later cost rises.
Both companies will offer a radar to IAF and only they can compare the capabilities of them and their developing companies, so lets wait and see what they decide.

Sancho, considering all the advantages of MKI I think IAF should seriously concentrate on a good AESA and reduction of RCS for MKI. El/M-2052 is good, though I think there is some problem regarding its export but it will be solved soon. Or a joint development with Russians or Israel or larger version of Tejas AESA under development etc but these will take time so I wish India push had for Elta 2052. RCS reduction may include some minor aerodynamic changes and sharp edges etc with new RAM coating. These two along with next generations of long range BVR/WVR missiles and Brahmos will be devastating.

El/M-2052 is good, though I think there is some problem regarding its export but it will be solved soon.
Yes 2052 is best suited....but i doubt about those banned reports because actually India's name was never mentioned in official reports....only some news agencies reported it....

We know LRDE wasn't able to develop the MMR for Tejas alone, so what help could they really offer to the Russian ?
Common man....you cannot say like this....by this way you will atart questioning every other project...The biggest jokes will be, ADA is not able to fully induct a 3++ gen fighter LCA, forget about 5th gen fighter...Simialry, DRDO has not been able to make a Rustam-1, forget about AURA....

Is it just me, or in recent times (1-2 years) have there been less Mig-21 crashes?(note less still some) Is this due to the majority being upgraded to Bison? The clearing up of the spares issues? Better training i.e Hawk training a/c added to ease transition? They are used less and mothballed?

or am I completely wrong and they are still crashing at the same rate?

Sancho, considering all the advantages of MKI I think IAF should seriously concentrate on a good AESA and reduction of RCS for MKI. El/M-2052 is good, though I think there is some problem regarding its export but it will be solved soon. Or a joint development with Russians or Israel or larger version of Tejas AESA under development etc but these will take time so I wish India push had for Elta 2052. RCS reduction may include some minor aerodynamic changes and sharp edges etc with new RAM coating. These two along with next generations of long range BVR/WVR missiles and Brahmos will be devastating.

AESA is less important imo then RCS reductions, because the BARS radar is still one of the most capable radars around and I don't think the US will allow their techs in Russian fighters, they even denied it of Swedish and Indian fighters. So we have to look at which Russian radar is better and what solutions we have to reduce the RCS.

Common man....you cannot say like this....by this way you will atart questioning every other project...The biggest jokes will be, ADA is not able to fully induct a 3++ gen fighter LCA, forget about 5th gen fighter...Simialry, DRDO has not been able to make a Rustam-1, forget about AURA....

No, I question those projects that could have been done in a better way and that are aimed on indigenous proud only.

Is it just me, or in recent times (1-2 years) have there been less Mig-21 crashes?(note less still some) Is this due to the majority being upgraded to Bison? The clearing up of the spares issues? Better training i.e Hawk training a/c added to ease transition? They are used less and mothballed?

or am I completely wrong and they are still crashing at the same rate?

The main reason should be, that except of the Bisons all older Mig 21s will be phased out now and the less of them fly, the less crashes. I don't think that the Bison upgrade itself makes the fighters more reliable, because we saw them crashing as well, but the age of the fighters and techs should be a big problem.

Mausam to tie up with the Indian Air Force | idrw.org

Shahid+Kapoor+fly+F-16+aircraft+%25282%2529.jpg

Since Shahid Kapoor plays an Air-Force officer in the film, the marketing of Mausam will include a tie-up with the Indian Air Force in a big way. The strategy is still being worked out and the announcement will be made soon. The film, written and directed by Pankaj Kapur and produced by Sheetal Talwar and Sunil Lulla, marks Pankaj Kapur’s debut as a director. It will be the first time that Shahid Kapoor will be acting in a film which also has his father acting in it (he has a brief part). Mausam has been shot in London, Edinburgh, Switzerland and India and is slated to release on July 22.

Does anyone know of the status of the Israeli SPYDER system in IAF service?
SPYDER - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are there plans for more than initial 18? 18 seems a very small number for Indian armed forces, where are they based/needed for such a small number? It must be filling such a small niche.

+ What IAF base are they stationed?

Interesting pics of the UAE Mirage 2000-9s that now also joint the strike attacks in Libya with an A2G missile by MBDA:

dsc_0003-copy.jpg

dsc_00141.jpg

dsc_0064_2.jpg

3) One of the most interesting thing of the last weeks is that UAE AF has joined the bombing campaign in Libya along with the other partners involved in the air strikes (US with drones and SEAD assets, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Italy, UK, France and Canada) even if the news has not been made public yet. The following pictures were taken on May 1, 2011, at 14.06Z by Antonio Di Franco, from his home, located a few kilometres to the south east of Sigonella airbase. The images show two UAE Air Force Mirage 2000s carrying a Damocles targeting pod and an MBDA PGM-500 500lbs guided bomb (“Hakim”) along with two MICA air-to-air missiles.

IAF already stated that they observe the campain in Libya and this might be interesting for their Mirage 2000 upgrade as well.

I have a question on the recent C-130 induction into the IAF. As the C-130 is a totally new platform which employs the door-jump system as opposed to what IA/IAF/IN Airborne are trained on- AN-32 ramp jumps, are ALL of the Indian armed forces going to have to re-qualify on the C-130? That is 15,000+ people and with only 1 C-130 as of now that is A LOT of training sorties. Has this been thought through?

I have a question on the recent C-130 induction into the IAF. As the C-130 is a totally new platform which employs the door-jump system as opposed to what IA/IAF/IN Airborne are trained on- AN-32 ramp jumps, are ALL of the Indian armed forces going to have to re-qualify on the C-130? That is 15,000+ people and with only 1 C-130 as of now that is A LOT of training sorties. Has this been thought through?

I don't know the training rules in this regard, but keep in mind that we only bought 6 x C130 and that they are mainly meant for special ops, because of the lack of transport vehicles during the mumbay attacks. The AN 32 will remanin important for paratroopers, till they will be replaced by other aircrafts, including MTA.

Back
Top Bottom