What's new

Indian Air Force News & Discussions

The upgraded An-32's of the IAF in Ukraine.[All these photos are from May,2011]
53oe2e.jpg

fxgcrd.jpg

what it that thing in the side of front section like fish gills

Firstly, thanks so much for these great pics, truly appreciated- wish there were many more members who could contribute as much in these terms as you do. But just wondering about the last pic of Dhruv Mk.3- I thought one od the improvements of Mk.3 was he addition of an EO pod? Can't seems to see one fitted in the pic. Anyways good find and rare to see a Dhruv in IAF service with Grey paitjob. Thanks a lot mate!!

Firstly, thanks so much for these great pics, truly appreciated- wish there were many more members who could contribute as much in these terms as you do. But just wondering about the last pic of Dhruv Mk.3- I thought one od the improvements of Mk.3 was he addition of an EO pod? Can't seems to see one fitted in the pic. Anyways good find and rare to see a Dhruv in IAF service with Grey paitjob. Thanks a lot mate!!

Ref, the underlined; one explanation could be that this is the utility version of the Dhruv airframe. The EO pod will only show up on the WSI version. I am only attempting to logically speculate, I don't have any conclusive evidence.

It's possible but I'm not convinced:

The Mk. 3 variants are powered by Shakti turboshaft engines developed by HAL and Turbomeca. The helicopter underwent high-altitude trials in 2009. “The Mk. 3 sports a new electronic warfare suite, advanced laser warning systems, missile warning systems and electro-optical pods. It has a new-generation vibration-control system in place along with the glass cockpit. It also has an automatic chaff-and-flare dispenser,” the official says.
HAL To Deliver More Dhruv Mk. 3 Helicopters | AVIATION WEEK

The Mk. 3 variants are powered by Shakti turboshaft engines developed by HAL and Turbomeca. The helicopter underwent high-altitude trials in 2009. “The Mk. 3 sports a new electronic warfare suite, advanced laser warning systems, missile warning systems and electro-optical pods. It has a new-generation vibration-control system in place along with the glass cockpit. It also has an automatic chaff-and-flare dispenser,” the official says.
Thats really good

Quick Question..
Why is it that the IAF operates the large Mi-8/17 fleet??
Keeping a few for SAR/General duties makes sense, but their capabilities would suggest that a larger part of that force be in the IA..
Supplementing and eventually replacing all the older Allouette derivatives.
Since it seems logical that a large portion of the Mi-8/17 fleet would be operating in support of the Army. Therefore is it not simpler in terms of tactical command ease that the Battlefield airlift capability be handed over the Army so they are responsible for its use?
The An-32 fleet will still provide tactical airlift, but the hop, skip and jump work for the army goes to the army.

??

Quick Question..
Keeping a few for SAR/General duties makes sense, but their capabilities would suggest that a larger part of that force be in the IA..
Since it seems logical that a large portion of the Mi-8/17 fleet would be operating in support of the Army. Therefore is it not simpler in terms of tactical command ease that the Battlefield airlift capability be handed over the Army so they are responsible for its use?
The An-32 fleet will still provide tactical airlift, but the hop, skip and jump work for the army goes to the army.

??

Entirely agreed. It has to do with "turf issues". Which have changed some what over the years, but not enough!
Many years ago, the IN decided to set up a Fleet Air Arm. In the face of some real strong opposition. Luckily for the IN, the IAF knew squat about operating Carriers, so they got their wings, to keep it short and simple.
This just has to do with the idea of "if it has wings, its gotta be ours". Luckily, that philosophy is on its way outta the window.

Quick Question..

??
I agree with your remarks. But I suppose in the past it was how it came about and since India didn't have the resources to buy bigger helos for IA in the past they remained with IAF. Now India has plenty of $$$ you can see plenty of bigger and better helos entering IA such as Dhruv +WSI and LCH both in large numbers. IA has started to recognise need for expansion of IA aviation corps and is working towards it, a dedicated IA Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR) has been sanctioned. There is even reports that IA my get dedicated CN-27/C-130j and Apache/Chinook (irrespective of IAF orders).

There is even reports that IA my get dedicated CN-27/C-130j and Apache/Chinook (irrespective of IAF orders).
I heard about transport aircraft but Apache/Chinook, when this happened ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom