What's new

India's Geopolitical Brilliance

@ Cardsharp
Bazinga! Once again you have fallen for my classic pranks!!:azn:

It was not my intention to say that the Chinese would interfere. Although they are now at a uniquely advantageous position. They are the only country that Pakistan implicitly trusts.

Had to look a meme up for once in my life. The big bang theory (which my roommate loved) was where I drew the line as far as my personal nerdiness was concerned.....

@Cardsharp
I am not much of a nerd either, but Sheldon cracks me up!

@topic
Frankly, I don't see much of an Indian role in Afghanistan. I don't think our leadership has the bal**. We never really had faith in Karzai, and feared the return of the taliban. So we screwed up the rebuilding. Sometimes, I envy the Chinese and the American for their single-minded pursuit of the national interest. In India, the situation is mightily complicated for grand strategy.

A well written essay steeped in reality and shorn of the usual dose of moralistic righteousness. The operative part relevant to India is "India was not assertive about its presence here, thus failing to win the confidence of those who, hemmed in between Iran and Pakistan, considered it a natural ally." Nothing worthwhile ever comes cheap, without 100% commitment. India's role in Afghanistan has never been publicly debated in either the parliament or outside. We seem to have gradually drifted into the situation we are in over the last decade or two without a conscious and well though out policy on Afghanistan. The Indian public has not been made aware of the stakes involved. The public doesn't have a clue on what is happening in Afghanistan or the extent of Indian involvement or the games being played here or the Indian stakes in these games.It appears that our Afghan policy is being run by a small group of bureaucrats form behind closed doors. This system works very well when the issues involved are minor and the stakes not very high. Afghanistan is a very major issue with far reaching effect on affairs of South Asia and Central Asia. The Chinese system works that way, a handful of people decide on what must be done and the required resources are committed towards attainment of that goal. And it works very well for China. Our system is not geared to work that way. It is not possible to commit substantial resources towards a desired foreign policy objective without a broad political consensus. Why did we not try to obtain a consensus on Afghanistan? We know that we are not ready to commit our military resources in Afghanistan today nor is it advisable given the fact that even a small initial resource commitment may very soon increase many fold due to mission creep and ultimately become difficult to sustain without an abrupt withdrawal and consequent loss of face. So if India is not ready to commit its military in Afghanistan, how else could we have met our geo political objectives here? How far can one go without commitment of serious manpower and material resources? Perhaps much further than what we managed. But for that an internal political consensus is needed. The reason for not initiating a national debate on Afghanistan lies in the realm of the political analyst. Suffice to say that half baked measures will only result in half baked results. Perhaps Afghanistan is still not important enough to us as a nation to warrant serious thought? Perhaps our foreign policy apparatus is not yet mature enough to handle the degree of assertiveness needed to ensure that our objectives are met in a case like Afghanistan.

On the other hand, if we are to assume that the aim of Pakistan is to install a Taliban backed government in Afghanistan, how will that bring stability to Pakistan today when it did not earlier? How will the non Pashtun tribes accept the Taliban now when they did not do so a decade ago. How will Iran and Russia add to this mix? There are plenty of questions that remain. I do not see the US withdrawal as the end of a chapter but as the beginning of another. India's interests in Afghanistan will remain and so will its involvement. In future, we will see much more of India in Afghanistan and Central Asia.

While i accept that political gambling of those in power is responsible i can't agree that we were foolish enough to buy the "package" of sorts from USA to step in to Afghanistan.

The reason we entered into Afghanistan is visible to all. To keep Pakistan in check there no doubt.

I may sound confident in saying this but we don't work the Chinese or American way, it doesn't suit us. Taking everybody into confidence here is impossible think of the morchas and andolans (protests) by the opposition parties or every jack interested in whipping out popular sentiments and divert the mass opinions. Its better this way for us as the closed group works with job without interference from such external pressures.

In addition to this our country always flaunts the good guy NAM poster boy image. Today whatever accusations related to Afghanistan are laid on us we can duck calling it paranoia. I accept that in future we will move in more.

well Singapore diplomat did describe India as half in half out of Asean..........

Back
Top Bottom