What's new

India's Military Build-up exceeds China's in some areas: FP Magazine

Ruag

Reaction score
The Stories You Missed in 2011 - Foreign Policy magazine

#1 India's Military Buildup

China's new aircraft carrier -- actually just a refitted Gorbachev-era Soviet model purchased for $20 million from the Russians -- made international headlines when it began sea trials this year, signaling Beijing's growing military ambitions in East Asia. But it isn't the only Asian giant investing heavily in new military hardware. India has kept pace with its neighbor to the north and, in some areas, is actually exceeding it -- a development that, though much less noted, is a sign of the growing militarization of the region as a new generation of emerging powers with global ambitions jockeys for regional supremacy.

India is now the world's largest weapons importer, according to a 2011 report by arms watchdog SIPRI, accounting for 9 percent of the world's international arms transfers -- most from Russia -- between 2006 and 2010. India will spend an estimated $80 billion on military modernization programs by 2015, according to an estimate from the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies.

In particular, India is focusing on sea power, a crucial new area of competition. The country is planning to spend almost $45 billion over the next 20 years on 103 new warships, including destroyers and nuclear submarines. By comparison, China's investment over the same period is projected to be around $25 billion for 135 vessels, according to data on both countries from maritime analysis firm AMI International.

On top of long-running tensions with Pakistan and festering insurgencies by Kashmiri separatists and Maoist rebels, India's military planners are increasingly concerned about the prospect of military hostilities with China -- hence the new focus on naval power. For now, the United States seems much more comfortable with India's military ambitions than China's. The Pentagon's 2010 Quadrennial Defense Review welcomed "a more influential role in global affairs" for India, including in the Indian Ocean region. But there are some troubling signs that the area might not be big enough for two rising superpowers.

In August, an unidentified Chinese warship confronted an Indian amphibious assault ship near the coast of Vietnam and demanded that it explain its presence in Chinese waters (the encounter took place in a disputed part of the South China Sea claimed by Vietnam). Thankfully, the situation resulted in nothing more than some testy public statements from officials in all three countries, but it was yet another sign of an increasingly militarized Asian seascape.

111118_Stories_Missed_ShipsChart.jpg

The Stories You Missed in 2011 | Foreign Policy

i seriously doubt that.

China is way ahead of us, both conversationally ad otherwise.

India is not very far behind. India needs to close the gap between China and India, there are no other options available.

India does needs to close the gap, but at the moment we don't have the resources. How i wish we would work to master the field of reverse engineering.

But our men in DRDO have proved to be an utter failure in real sense.

How many are fake indians here?.... One of them i spot named as Lyrical.... i just don't understand why some other nation use our FLAG.... may be becoz it makes them proud? Or may be because they love the color of our flag? Or may be they ashamed using their own country flag. Its cheap shot by them.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Read the signature of this guy named lyrical and also read where he from. Which part of india.... He can't even fake it good....

How many are fake indians here?.... One of them i spot named as Lyrical.... i just don't understand why some other nation use our FLAG.... may be becoz it makes them proud? Or may be because they love the color of our flag? Or may be they ashamed using their own country flag. Its cheap shot by them.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Read the signature of this guy named lyrical and also read where he from. Which part of india.... He can't even fake it good....

He has his own views mate..not necessarily a false flagger.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

He has his own views mate..not necessarily a false flagger. But then again i kinda agree with you.

ask the mods where i am from.

It's a pity u know nothing bout itanagar, yet you claim arunachal to be a integral part of india. Get ur geography right.
You are no more an indian than i am.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

and thank you muharib

Know what, you don't amuse me.

be happy with your petty nationalism and no sense.

maybe in ur world, whoever doesn't adheres to your opinion isn't an indian.

Know what, you don't amuse me.

be happy with your petty nationalism and no sense.

maybe in ur world, whoever doesn't adheres to your opinion isn't an indian.

he might be one of the 30% of Indians who are illiterate, and using speech aid to go online. that's why his typing looks so weird.

Get a life false flagger. Stop using indian FLAG. Grow some pair down there and use your own country FLAG.

Everyone who is not sharing your opinion is either a brainwashed commie or a false flagger. Bloody loser, it's you who should grow a pair down there!

The only thing indian exceeds militarily is imports. China builds most of it's weapons.

and this is not something India should be happy about. You nvr knw when the supplies would stop.

The only thing indian exceeds militarily is imports. China builds most of it's weapons.

and this is not something India should be happy about. You nvr knw when the supplies would stop.

Thank you. If India had more people like you, India would've surpassed China a long time ago. In China too, 20 years ago, we had the attitude of "better to buy, than to make. better to rent, than to buy". So we wasted millions of dollars in dumping our domestic technology, bought Western technologies (actually, leased them, since we were never given a license) and basically became slaves. Only in the past 12 years did we wake up and smell the coffee. Thanks to the US bombing our embassy then crashing our plane, we woke up and realized the importance of making, rather than buying, and how renting is the most inferior of all.

What is wrong with his signature? It is from the Independence Day, if I am not mistaken. Not a bad quote btw.

Back
Top Bottom