BATMAN

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India's provocative military doctrine

Tuesday, January 05, 2010
By Dr Maleeha Lodhi

The writer is a former envoy to the US and the UK, and a former editor of The News.

In remarks reported last week, Indian army chief Gen Deepak Kapoor reaffirmed that India was evolving a new military doctrine, and he outlined some of its key elements. The changes in the strategic environment held out by this pronouncement have significant implications for Pakistan and should give the country's security managers much pause for thought.

In November India's army chief spoke of the likelihood of a limited war "under a nuclear overhang" in the subcontinent. His latest remarks go further to indicate that:

* The Indian army is revising its five-year-old doctrine to meet the challenge of war with China and Pakistan.

* The development of the "cold start" strategy is progressing "successfully."

* Five "thrust areas" will determine the new doctrine:

i) Dealing with the eventuality of a "two-front" war.

ii) Countering "both military and non-military facets of asymmetric and sub-conventional threats."

iii) Enhancing "strategic reach and out-of-area capabilities" to protect India's interests from the Persian Gulf to the Malacca Strait.

iv) Attaining "operational synergy" between the three services.

v) Achieving a technological edge over adversaries.

The emerging doctrine appears to be both aspirational and emulative. Aspirational because its breadth and sweep reflects a mindset that seeks to create "big power" dynamics by projecting India as a rival to China and aiming to develop a capacity to act in two combat theatres simultaneously. How and whether this can actually be attained is another matter.

The doctrine also emulates the US Pentagon's Quadrennial Defence Review undertaken every four years and borrows superpower language to assert the need to build "out of area" capabilities and acquire "strategic reach." This is the most presumptuous tenet of the doctrine which employs the idiom of big powers without, however, the capability to back it.

It raises other questions. What exactly are the interests that these capabilities are intended to defend? Protecting the littoral states of the Indian Ocean against whom? Will the pursuit of "strategic reach" not run up against the strategic interests of other powers in the Persian Gulf?

For Pakistan several aspects of the doctrine have serious implications that need to be assessed. The "cold start" doctrine seeks to counter the Pakistani argument that, however "limited," a war is not possible between two nuclear-weapon states – an argument that was validated by the 2001-02 military standoff between the two neighbours.

First announced in 2004, after the failure of India's coercive diplomacy and military mobilisation (Operation Parakram) of 2001-02, the doctrine tries to build the case that India does have a war-fighting option – "cold start" under a WMD overhang.

This seeks to convey to Pakistan and the world that the capability being developed to wage "limited war" will enable India to operationalise its forces within 96 hours to strike offensively against Pakistan without crossing the nuclear threshold.

The concept of limited war in the "cold start" strategy is dangerous strategic thinking. As Pakistan's army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has emphatically pointed out, proponents of the use of conventional force in "a nuclear overhang" are charting a course of dangerous adventurism whose consequences can be both unintended and uncontrollable.

The notion of limited war will push the subcontinent onto a slippery slope and heighten the danger of escalation. India's strategy aims to achieve surprise and speed in a conventional strike against Pakistan. It overlooks the fact that in a crisis the nuclear threshold will be indeterminate. The threshold cannot be wished away by speed in mobilisation.

In fact, the shorter the duration needed for a mobilisation the greater the risk of escalation and the likely lowering of Pakistan's nuclear red lines. Squeezing the timeframe will only make the situation more dangerous and unstable. The long fuse in a crisis provided by the time required for assembly and deployment of forces has so far helped to avoid a catastrophic war.

If operationalised, the "cold start" doctrine will force Pakistan to re-evaluate its policy of keeping its nuclear arsenal in "separated" form and move towards placing its strategic capability in a higher state of readiness, including deploying a "mated" capability -- i.e., mating warheads to delivery systems. The action-reaction cycle will move the subcontinent to a perilous state of hair-trigger alert.

Similarly destabilising would be the espoused goal to secure a "technological edge" by India's effort to acquire a missile-defence shield and build its PAD (Prithvi Air Defence) capabilities. India may feel that the acquisition of anti-ballistic missile (ABM) systems (possessed by only the US, Russia and Israel) will give it the capability to neutralise Pakistan's missile capabilities. This would be a dangerous presumption.

The deployment of ballistic missile defence (BMD) capabilities is likely to enhance fears that an offensive pre-emptive strike, conventional or nuclear, could be undertaken behind the BMD shield. Such a capability in the context of the "cold start" doctrine would increase the possibility of a military adventure by providing an illusion of "comfort."

This would enhance the incentive for Pakistan to multiply the numbers of missiles and increase operational readiness to avoid the destruction of these assets in a pre-emptive strike. Pakistan will likely be obliged to take a series of other counter-measures to break through the BMD system.

This is a recipe for a costly and unnecessary arms race. A much better option is to pursue the strategic stability regime offered by Islamabad to Delhi that would stabilise nuclear deterrence by, among other steps, the mutual commitment not to develop or induct BMD systems into the region. But this does not seem to fit into India's ambitions.

As for the "threat from China," the Cold War-like language of the Indian doctrine seems out of sync with the times. It indicates Delhi's continuing desire to play the role of a balancer or strategic counterweight to China and employ its burgeoning relationship with Washington to counteract Beijing's rising influence.

But the international environment is at present not favourable to the fulfilment of this strategy. Unlike its predecessor, the Obama administration seems not to buy into fanciful schemes to contain China by promoting countervailing power centres. Instead, it is more interested in deepening the engagement with Beijing in an era being referred to as the G2 partnership, an alliance of overlapping US and Chinese interests. The symbiotic relationship between the two countries is today the pivot of the global economy.

The emerging Indian doctrine seems to over reach in seeking a capability to deal with a two-front war. This becomes even more apparent when seen from the perspective of the experience of the world's most powerful military. The US has struggled to simultaneously prosecute, much less successfully conclude, two protracted wars (in Iraq and Afghanistan) despite the central and long-standing premise of its strategic doctrine of being prepared to fight "two wars" at a time.

It is therefore rather rich for India to claim that it can acquire the capability to deal simultaneously with two fronts, and that too against two nuclear powers. This is reckless translation of rhetoric into doctrine.

Given how unrealistic it is to think that such a capability can be built, is the purpose of the doctrine, then, to use the China "threat" to acquire the latest military technology from the West? This raises another question: is that capability intended to be eventually deployed against Pakistan?

Once the full dimensions of India's military doctrine have been evaluated Islamabad will need to review its own options and reassess its operational plans and assumptions. Its strategic calculations should entail a careful reading of Indian capabilities and intentions while also making a distinction between ambition and reality.

Gen Kapoor's enunciation of a provocative doctrine is one more reason why Pakistan cannot ignore the more enduring challenge to its security, even as it confronts the urgent internal threat posed by terrorism and militancy.

You can hardly expect a general to talk about bridging differences and encouraging diplomacy. War planning is his job and any analysis needs to be seen in that context.

With regard to the military doctrine, well from Pakistan's perspective a change from the month long mobilizations of the Indian Army's massive strike corps to smaller more mobile formations is hardly positive. But, military reform is inevitable. Also, by virtue of being closer to the border Pakistani military formations have a much shorter reaction time. Would Pakistan be amenable to a suggestion that they be redeployed into rear areas in the interests of peace?

You can hardly expect a general to talk about bridging differences and encouraging diplomacy.
Only if it is from india!
We have no such problems with our generals as you know it.

Pakistan's perspective a change from the month long mobilizations of the Indian Army's massive strike corps to smaller more mobile formations is hardly positive.
Certainly not but what is the point in calling the press conference and war mongering?
hey... you need to educate the fellow..... who just got hold of nuclear bombs and is itching to use them in his twisted logic (limited nuclear war).
Get him fixed before it go out of his control.

yes the same general also send his troops to attack India

Certainly not but what is the point in calling the press conference and war mongering?
hey... you need to educate the fellow..... who just got hold of nuclear bombs and is itching to use them in his twisted logic (limited nuclear war).

What are you talking about??limited nuclear war?dude he said that a limited war is possible ..where is the nuclear come from? where are you going with twisting his words?

As it said in many times here in this forum..he is giving assurances to the public by telling about the war doctorine..no need to panic for Pakistan and China unless they are trying to attack us..

Last edited:

Yeah so.... transparency in military matters isn't a Pakistani Army policy, that's fine but not necessarily better.

Without going into them, you've got other problems with your generals.

It was a standard PR statement. All western military institutions (like the Pentagon) release such non-classified policy updates to the media.

By the way, no one in India paid much attention to this news. Its only certain right wing media outlets in Pakistan which have 'blown up' the news after a little 'alteration'.

I doubt if he requires the education. Because 'limited nuclear war' and 'limited war under a nuclear umbrella' are two very different things and if someone couldn't be bothered figuring out the difference, he can scarcely be held responsible.

You can hardly expect a general to talk about bridging differences and encouraging diplomacy. War planning is his job and any analysis needs to be seen in that context.

Reply:

:rofl: :rofl:
So sir, I ask you..... since you 'deny' that your generals don't plan for a war situation. And only Deepak Kapoor is an idiot enough to plan for war scenarios. What will your proud army do if India attacks Pakistan?

Call another press conference and tell Pakistani public; Indians are so arrogant they attacked us.

you're saying your generals are peace-loving and heartful men that don't like violence so they haven't thought of a way to harm our Indian solders??

:woot: Guys this is great news!!! :yahoo:

The reaction from Islamabad very clearly suggests that India's new Military Doctrine is proving to be a success. The Generals in Pindi certainly seem alarmed!!

Anyone who is of any consiquence in Pakistan has spoken on the topic, clearly indicating its importance. And such hullabaloo is usually raised when people are very uncomfortable with something.

^^ IMO.....whole world should have reacted to this regular war mongering, specially the regional states.
Pakistan is only troubled with terrorism which eminate in 2006....if you are crediting deepak kappor or dehli with it than it is not a good sign already.

What are you reffering as hollabaloo?

@ UchihaCG: if indians are arogant than it is not the problem of our generals but if you attack Pakistan than it is definately problem for the whole nation.
I expect more than press conferences as a reaction.

This doctrine is full of loopholes and can be exploited in numerous ways. A limited “Cold Start Strategy” will surely end up in a full scale nuclear confrontation. No Indian General can predict whether a limited air strike on Pakistani targets will not turn into a full scale war including nuclear exchange that ends all life in South Asia. Pakistan can use the Indian rhetoric to their advantage and increase the amount of delivery systems to counter the so-called "cold start" strategy. Also, a third strike capability becomes almost inevitable in such a scenario. This will certainly encourage Pakistan to go ahead and produce SLBMs/SLCMs. MIRV warheads become another important necessity which Pakistan purportedly has been working on for many years. A plethora of precautionary measures will be invented to deter any aggression. Something that Pakistan has dealt with all her life. Nothing to be worried about in my opinion. I consider the Indian warmongering as a deep-rooted frustration. Frustration that stems from their failure to disrupt PAs progress in the WoT despite heavy covert operations from across the border. On the other hand, the strengthening ties between China and Pakistan is another major reason of frustration. Despite all the difficulties Pakistan has been able to make strides in the defence capabilities over the past years. Something the Indians realize all too well.

Last edited:
This doctrine is full of loopholes and can be exploited in numerous ways. A limited “Cold Start Strategy” will surely end up in a full scale nuclear confrontation. No Indian General can predict whether a limited air strike on Pakistani targets will not turn into a full scale war including nuclear exchange that ends all life in South Asia. Pakistan can use the Indian rhetoric to their advantage and increase the amount of delivery systems to counter the so-called "cold start" strategy. Also, a third strike capability becomes almost inevitable in such a scenario. This will certainly encourage Pakistan to go ahead and produce SLBMs/SLCMs. MIRV warheads become another important necessity which Pakistan purportedly has been working on for many years. A plethora of precautionary measures will be invented to deter any aggression. Something that Pakistan has dealt with all her life. Nothing to be worried about in my opinion. I consider the Indian warmongering as a deep-rooted frustration. Frustration that stems from their failure to disrupt PAs progress in the WoT despite heavy covert operations from across the border. On the other hand, the strengthening ties between China and Pakistan is another major reason of frustration. Despite all the difficulties Pakistan has been able to make strides in the defence capabilities over the past years. Something the Indians realize all too well.

I think you guys need to ask yourself why would India openly tell the world what it plans to do, for me, its just a statement aimed at Pakistan, reminding them, if ever, another Mumbai happened be warned!! It may also be a statement at China, saying we are ready if you plan to take any situational advantages.

I don't think India is stupid enough to make a statement without knowing what it is doing or what it is up against.

As far as frustration is concerned, the only frustration seems to be in the plethora of reports emanating from across the border, speaking out of context.

lets keep it simple..no terrorism no war

^^I think i shall trust the articlel more than you, which you have clearly not read!

@ UchihaCG: if indians are arogant than it is not the problem of our generals but if you attack Pakistan than it is definately problem for the whole nation.
I expect more than press conferences as a reaction.

Exactly Deepak Kapoor's job too......
He is planning for this IF China & Pakistan attack India. What will India do? He's doing his job.

How the hell does Pakistani media portray it as a provocative move? Again I've stressed this over and over. He's a general. He didn't say he'll attack China/Pakistan. He said he'll DEFEND US too if they attack India.

Now if people still disagree i'd like to ask..... pointing to my previous post. Have your generals never planned out war scenarios?

Does it mean they'll start wars?

Thanks to some of the Pakistanis who are ignorant that discussion thread became full of Indians repeating themselves "IF IF IF IF".

He is planning for this IF China & Pakistan attack India. What will India do? He's doing his job.

How the hell does Pakistani media portray it as a provocative move? Again I've stressed this over and over. He's a general. He didn't say he'll attack China/Pakistan. He said he'll DEFEND US too if they attack India.

Now if people still disagree i'd like to ask..... pointing to my previous post. Have your generals never planned out war scenarios?

Thanks to some of the Pakistanis who are ignorant that discussion thread became full of Indians repeating themselves "IF IF IF IF".

That too with different colours,shapes and sizez :agree:

You are not the spokesman of kappor.... your IF has hardly any value of kapoor didn't used it.
Please, post the vedio of his press conference and than we can have an agreement.
On the other hand this is no thte first time war rehtoric has become norm in india and cold start is not a defensive doctrine at all or is it in your books?
On the contrary Pakistan have pro indian President, what else you need?

You are not the spokesman of kappor.... your IF has hardly any value of kapoor didn't used it.
Please, post the vedio of his press conference and than we can have an agreement.
On the other hand this is no thte first time war rehtoric has become norm in india and cold start is not a defensive doctrine at all or is it in your books?
On the contrary Pakistan have pro indian President, what else you need?

Sir, I was referring to the 10,000 page long thread about Deepak Kapoor's message. The article does mention IF. Indeed I'm not his spokesman.

Pro-Indian? :lol:
:no:

Back
Top Bottom