What's new

International Math Olympiad 2014 results are in! (India fails again)

Even in India there are some very small schools in rural places from where the students regularly make it to top Indian Institutions like IIT/IIM and other coveted Civil services. Google "Super 30" for yourself. It doesn't mean that students everywhere else (other than those in "Super 30") are stupid!

The difference is in the grooming that the students get in those schools. Sometimes it is the private individuals who do all the grooming -- even without any Government assistance.

I was just pointing out that you don't have to invest lot of money to be successful at IMO.

Well, Mediterranean people already have "olive", so we got "yellow". :cheesy:

Plus, Chinese people originated from the Yellow River, and we are the descendants of the Yellow Emperor. So I guess it just came to be accepted that we are the yellow race, like you I have never actually seen anyone who was properly yellow before. :P

Huh that's interesting, I never knew about that. What a coincidence!

Our current flag is actually red and yellow as well.
According to hindu religion

Red indicates both sensuality and purity. In Hindu religion, red is of utmost significance and
the color most frequently used for auspicious occasions like marriages, birth of a child,
festivals, etc. A red mark is put on the forehead during ceremonies and important occasions.
As a sign of marriage, women put red powder on the hair parting. They also wear a red sari
during marriage. Red powder is usually thrown on statues of deities and phallic symbols
during prayers. It is also the color of Shakti (prowess). A red colored dress is put on deities
who are charitable, brave, protective, and who have the capacity to destroy evil. On the death
of a woman, her body is wrapped in a red cloth for the cremation.

Yellow is the color of knowledge and learning. It
symbolizes happiness, peace, meditation, competence
and mental development. It is the color of spring and
activates the mind. Lord Vishnu’s dress is yellow
symbolizing his representation of knowledge. Lord Krishna and Ganesha also
wear yellow dresses. Yellow clothes are worn and yellow food is eaten at spring
festivals. Single girls wear yellow to attract a mate and
keep evil spirits away.

I was just pointing out that you don't have to invest lot of money to be successful at IMO.

For that, many others have already pointed out including myself that the society currently doesn't idolize the Mathematicians like they do with Cricketers and film stars. Heck, even software engineers got a lot more attention in the last decade although it is changing. It does not mean that you just pick one competition and start bashing Indians, although I would like it to change and Indians get more mathematicians and scientists as a whole.

And I am not talking only about IMO.

It does not mean that you just pick one competition and start bashing Indians, although I would like it to change and Indians get more mathematicians and scientists as a whole.

I didn't bash anyone. I was simply replying to the claim that you need to invest a lot of money, in order to be successful at the IMO.

The Chinese getting blown out. Now there are several elite awards that Indians have and they don't (Abel Prize, Turing Award, Fundamental Physics Prize, Godel Prize, Nevanlinna Prize, to name a few), while there are no awards that they alone have.

Unfortunately this still won't put a stop to Chinese arrogance on here, not to mention their inflated (and wrong) opinions about their relative intelligence.

Last edited:
The Chinese getting blown out. Now there are several elite awards that Indians have and they don't (Abel Prize, Turing Award, Fundamental Physics Prize, Godel Prize, Nevanlinna Prize, to name a few), while there are no awards that they alone have.

Unfortunately this still won't put a stop to Chinese arrogance on here, not to mention their inflated (and wrong) opinions about their relative intelligence.
I don't have anything against the Chinese, in fact some of my best friends are Chinese. Just there are lot of haters here on PDF. There are intelligent people in all countries. I'm particular offended by the way the op has titled this thread.

I don't have anything against the Chinese, in fact some of my best friends are Chinese. Just there are lot of haters here on PDF. There are intelligent people in all countries. I'm particular offended by the way the op has titled this thread.

But some of the Chinese and Serbians here (just check their posts above) were trying to make it sound like Indians can not get such medals -- despite repeated explanations that it is mainly due to lack of funding/infrastructure, ignorance, and our priorities as a society that we don't get many Nobels/Maths medals.

One could really sensed bit of a racial undercurrent in what they were trying to portray, actually!!!

But some of the Chinese and Serbians here (just check their posts above) were trying to make it sound like Indians can not get such medals -- despite repeated explanations that it is mainly due to lack of funding/infrastructure, ignorance, and our priorities as a society that we don't get many Nobels/Maths medals.

One could really sensed bit of a racial undercurrent in what they were trying to portray, actually!!!
I could say due to their lack of knowledge on this subject. There have been and still are many brilliant Indian mathematician.
List of Indian mathematicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Top 10 Indian Mathematicians and their Contributions

According to hindu religion

Red indicates both sensuality and purity. In Hindu religion, red is of utmost significance and
the color most frequently used for auspicious occasions like marriages, birth of a child,
festivals, etc. A red mark is put on the forehead during ceremonies and important occasions.
As a sign of marriage, women put red powder on the hair parting. They also wear a red sari
during marriage. Red powder is usually thrown on statues of deities and phallic symbols
during prayers. It is also the color of Shakti (prowess). A red colored dress is put on deities
who are charitable, brave, protective, and who have the capacity to destroy evil. On the death
of a woman, her body is wrapped in a red cloth for the cremation.

Yellow is the color of knowledge and learning. It
symbolizes happiness, peace, meditation, competence
and mental development. It is the color of spring and
activates the mind. Lord Vishnu’s dress is yellow
symbolizing his representation of knowledge. Lord Krishna and Ganesha also
wear yellow dresses. Yellow clothes are worn and yellow food is eaten at spring
festivals. Single girls wear yellow to attract a mate and
keep evil spirits away.

Chinese are called the descendent of "Yan and Huang". Yan refer to the fire emperor and Huang refer to the yellow emperor (the yellow in the name represent earth). So a better translation will be "Chinese are the descends of fire and earth".

Chinese are called the descendent of "Yan and Huang". Yan refer to the fire emperor and Huang refer to the yellow emperor (the yellow in the name represent earth). So a better translation will be "Chinese are the descends of fire and earth".

Or the more recent "龍的傳人"。 :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom