Iran will establish a permanent station in Antarctica

Muhammed45

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Iran to set up permanent base in Antarctica: Navy commander

4546010.jpg

TEHRAN, Sep. 28 (MNA) – Iran will establish a permanent station in Antarctica, the army navy commander Rear Admiral Shahram Irani said on Thursday.
"We have ownership in Antarctica and the plan is to hoist the Iranian flag there and establish a permanent bas," Admiral Irani said on Thursday in an interview.
Iranian officials have previously talked about the need for a permanent station in Antarctica. For example, Managing Director of the Iranian National Institute for Oceanography (INIO) Vahid Chegini told Iranian media back in 2012 that there were plans for a permanent station at the South Pole within the following three years, a plan that has yet to materialize.
MNA

interesting but does Iran have icebreakers to resupply ?

Iran to set up permanent base in Antarctica: Navy commander

4546010.jpg

TEHRAN, Sep. 28 (MNA) – Iran will establish a permanent station in Antarctica, the army navy commander Rear Admiral Shahram Irani said on Thursday.
"We have ownership in Antarctica and the plan is to hoist the Iranian flag there and establish a permanent bas," Admiral Irani said on Thursday in an interview.
Iranian officials have previously talked about the need for a permanent station in Antarctica. For example, Managing Director of the Iranian National Institute for Oceanography (INIO) Vahid Chegini told Iranian media back in 2012 that there were plans for a permanent station at the South Pole within the following three years, a plan that has yet to materialize.
MNA

Apparently to build a nice Antarctic base costs $100 million USD (or did back in 2016, probably more now). Plus of course many more millions of USD annualy in logistics, maintenance and other operational costs. The latter would, of course, depend on how many missil... I mean, people Iran intends to staff this base and if it will be a year-round facility or just a summer one.

It is exciting to see that Iran is well off economically to such an extent that it can even consider sparing such sums despite its various internal existential challenges and regional ambitions.

Personally, I would never have dreamed things were so amazingly good that an antarctic base on the other side of the world could even be contemplated.

Apparently to build a nice Antarctic base costs $100 million USD (or did back in 2016, probably more now). Plus of course many more millions of USD annualy in logistics, maintenance and other operational costs. The latter would, of course, depend on how many missil... I mean, people Iran intends to staff this base and if it will be a year-round facility or just a summer one.

It is exciting to see that Iran is well off economically to such an extent that it can even consider sparing such sums despite its various internal existential challenges and regional ambitions.

Personally, I would never have dreamed things were so amazingly good that an antarctic base on the other side of the world could even be contemplated.

the base just don't need to be deep inside Antarctica
technically operating a base just on the rim of the continent cost a lot less

the base just don't need to be deep inside Antarctica
technically operating a base just on the rim of the continent cost a lot less

If the $100M Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station linked in my previous poat is any guide, it IS on the coast and in fact is not even on the Antarctic mainland but rather closer to Brazil. Presumably it becomes ice bound less, is easier to resupply and isn't 10,000 miles away from Brazil (or whatever the distance is from Iran to Antarctica).

Last edited:
If the $100M Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station linked in my previous poat is any guide, it IS on the coast and in fact is not even on the Antarctic mainland but rather closer to Brazil. Presumably it becomes ice bound less, is easier to resupply and isn't 10,000 miles away from Brazil (or whatever the distance is from Iran to Antarctica).
i believe there is a misunderstanding here
On 15 April 2013, the Brazilian Navy announced it had chosen the winning design for the new Comandante Ferraz base.[9] The winning proposal went to the Curitiba-based Estúdio 41 architecture firm. The new station will extend 3,200 square metres (34,000 sq ft) and will accommodate 64 people.[citation needed] The cost of the project was approximately US$100 million. Approximately 200 Chinese workers from CEIEC were at the construction site.[10] The new and modern station opened in January 2020.[11]
that 100m dollar is not yearly cost to maintain the base , its the cost to build a 34000 square feet base with the capacity for 64 people. that much iran can afford easily

i believe there is a misunderstanding here

that 100m dollar is not yearly cost to maintain the base , its the cost to build a 34000 square feet base with the capacity for 64 people

Sure. If someone can find the cost of a more modest base, that would be great.

Brazil isn't anywhere close to Antarctica. It's Chile and Argentina.

Brazil isn't anywhere close to Antarctica. It's Chile and Argentina.

I assure you that Brazil is a lot closer to Antarctica than Iran. You will just have to trust me on that. 😀

The reason I linked the Brazilian base is that I found a price tag for it. $100M. In the interests of determining how much Iran would likely need to spend to build a base as per the article at the start of this whole thread.

However, as someone else intimated, the Brazilian base is a large, luxury build out.

Of course an Antarctic base is rightfully at the very top of all the national projects Iran should be pursuing. Absolutely! Especially when allocating their national treasure and focus. I can not possibly even start to think of what else might even come close.

However, if someone has some $ figure for a slightly more... frugal, existing example for the Iranians to consider, just in case the spoil-sports at the top of the regime do not fund it quite at the level it properly deserves - what with Iran's honour and all at stake here - enquiring minds would love to see that example.

I assure you that Brazil is a lot closer to Antarctica than Iran. You will just have to trust me on that. 😀

The reason I linked the Brazilian base is that I found a price tag for it. $100M. In the interests of determining how much Iran would likely need to spend to build a base as per the article at the start of this whole thread.

However, as someone else intimated, the Brazilian base is a large, luxury build out.

You stated previously:

If the $100M Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station linked in my previous poat is any guide, it IS on the coast and in fact is not even on the Antarctic mainland but rather closer to Brazil.

As a matter of fact, no point of Antarctica is closer to Brazil than to the Antarctic mainland.

Of course an Antarctic base is rightfully at the very top of all the national projects Iran should be pursuing. Absolutely! Especially when allocating their national treasure and focus. I can not possibly even start to think of what else might even come close.

"At the very top of all national projects"? Substantiate this claim with evidence.

However, if someone has some $ figure for a slightly more... frugal, existing example for the Iranians to consider, just in case the spoil-sports at the top of the regime do not fund it quite at the level it properly deserves

There's no "regime" in Iran, do not confuse with the totalitarian USA system.

You stated previously:

As a matter of fact, no point of Antarctica is closer to Brazil than to the Antarctic mainland.

"At the very top of all national projects"? Substantiate this claim with evidence.

There's no "regime" in Iran, do not confuse with the totalitarian USA system.

Allow me to educate you then.
The Brazilian Antarctic base - the Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station is located on King George Island which if you take but a moment to look up is indeed located closer to Brazil than the Antarctic Mainland.

As far as Iran's priorities list. Sigh. It's called Sarcasm my friend. The very idea that Iran could even publicly approve an Antarctic base again, even if it doesn't fund such a program, warrents some humour given all the vast existential challanges Iran is facing.

Why I am taking the time to carefuly explain what I thought would be obvious to all the first couple of times I am not sure. Hope it helps.

First of all, Iranian mullah value the science and research.

secondly, if a country with $30+ trillion debts can have a base there, then Iran with zero debt can have it's base too. maybe after inevitable collapse of US dollar and economy we buy it's bases as well.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom