What's new

Iran will establish a permanent station in Antarctica

If the $100M Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station linked in my previous poat is any guide, it IS on the coast

Also US use special ballpoint pen in space what cost millions to develop. Whereas other nations use pencil what cost some cent.

O_Higgins_Wendlant_2048.jpg
this is Scott Base
1695969407509.png

can house 88 people come with 3 wind turbine and 1 fuel electricity generator all buildings connected with a network of all weather tunnels .
it estimated it cost 120-250m to rebuild it

but on other hand a base don't need to be that expensive or modern for example Chilean first base in Antarctica is called Prat Base is smaller and a lot cheaper to operate and was in continuous use since 1947, by the way it was originally built as a naval base so it don't come with the fancy facilities and labs that other bases come with
1695969868379.png

or this is Belgrano II
1280px-Base_Belgrano.jpg

or if you really want to cheapen out on it this is Check republic Eco-Nelson base which i'm sure would be a lot cheaper to operate than the ship that is supposed to resupply it
Eco_Nelson_2019.jpg

or it can be like
German Antarctic Receiving Station
the base is used for satellite control and astronomy
1695970708456.png

Iran never claimed its going to build McMurdo or Amundsen-Scot bsae

Allow me to educate you then.
The Brazilian Antarctic base - the Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station is located on King George Island which if you take but a moment to look up is indeed located closer to Brazil than the Antarctic Mainland.

So you're saying that on the map below, the green line - distance between Comandante Ferraz base and mainland Antarctica, is longer than the red line - distance between Comandanta Ferraz base and nearest border point in Brazil (wealthy state of Rio Grande do Sul where descendants of German migrants reside):

a.jpg

m.jpg

I don't think I'm the one who has to be educated in this regard.

this is Scott Base
View attachment 956839
can house 88 people come with 3 wind turbine and 1 fuel electricity generator all buildings connected with a network of all weather tunnels .

but on other hand a base don't need to be that expensive or modern for example Chilean first base in Antarctica is called Prat Base is smaller and a lot cheaper to operate and was in continuous use since 1947, by the way it was originally built as a naval base so it don't come with the fancy facilities and labs that other bases come with
View attachment 956841

or this is Belgrano II
1280px-Base_Belgrano.jpg

or if you really want to cheapen out on it this is Check republic Eco-Nelson base which i'm sure would be a lot cheaper to operate than the ship that is supposed to resupply it
Eco_Nelson_2019.jpg

or it can be like
View attachment 956846

Good info and thank you..I think one reason Iran decided to establish a presence is basically the same as space orbits..if you do not occupy it someone else will do it...the space is not reserved so best places go to the ones that arrive early..:undecided:

this is Scott Base
View attachment 956839

View attachment 956841

or this is Belgrano II
1280px-Base_Belgrano.jpg

Eco_Nelson_2019.jpg

or it can be like
View attachment 956846

Most of those bases are for scientists to study the permafrost, take samples for models on global warming trends, meteorite recovery, as well as study ancient frozen organisms/viruses etc etc It’s not military focused.

This isn’t anything new. Even Nazi germany had a base or plans for one. North and South Pole have become of interest due to potential for oil and natural gas reserves and valuable resources as the glaciers and ice shelf melts away.

Most of those bases are for scientists to study the permafrost, take samples for models on global warming trends, meteorite recovery, as well as study ancient frozen organisms/viruses etc etc It’s not military focused.

This isn’t anything new. Even Nazi germany had a base or plans for one. North and South Pole have become of interest due to potential for oil and natural gas reserves and valuable resources as the glaciers and ice shelf melts away.
actually GARS is for controlling Satellites, and that is what actually benefit Iran most if we decide to make a base there, the one belong to Check is mainly for rescue mission and the Prat Base which belonged to Chile till several year ago which refitted for scientific works was actually a naval base for Chilean navy

I think this can be serious, hope Iran places missiles there.
no Iran certainly don't do that as its against the treaties Iran signed and for what purpose , attacking mcMurdo base or Scott-Amondsen base ?

Studies carried out in South pole is so very important . Esp in the field of earth gravity and modelling of its magnetic field.

It is not only about hegemony however it is a side effect of it.

The satellites that turn around planet in polar orbits need highly accurate information about earth gravity and magnetic field.

Ps. Friends and brothers do not allow trolls and jealous characters poison your thoughts. These studies are need of hour esp if we want to increase durability of our satellites. We want to reach 20,000 KM orbits for navigational purposes and without these studies it will cost us a lot in the process of launch and failure.

That was just one of the many sceintific benefits.

Allow me to educate you then.
The Brazilian Antarctic base - the Comandante Ferraz Antarctic research station is located on King George Island which if you take but a moment to look up is indeed located closer to Brazil than the Antarctic Mainland.

As far as Iran's priorities list. Sigh. It's called Sarcasm my friend. The very idea that Iran could even publicly approve an Antarctic base again, even if it doesn't fund such a program, warrents some humour given all the vast existential challanges Iran is facing.

Why I am taking the time to carefuly explain what I thought would be obvious to all the first couple of times I am not sure. Hope it helps.
So you're saying the solution to Iran's problems is not investing in science?
Btw, a few years ago the US and UK helped Ukraine start an Antarctic base, despite having a worse economic situation, so...
Speaking of Antarctic bases, it seems that US stations are facing a #metoo crisis

So you're saying that on the map below, the green line - distance between Comandante Ferraz base and mainland Antarctica, is longer than the red line - distance between Comandanta Ferraz base and nearest border point in Brazil (wealthy state of Rio Grande do Sul where descendants of German migrants reside):

View attachment 957072

View attachment 957074

I don't think I'm the one who has to be educated in this regard.

NO.

I think I see the issue. When I said it was closer to Brazil I did not say it was closer to Brazil than Antarctica. I said it was closer to Brazil meaning it was even closer to Brazil than Antarctica (the mainland) is to Brazil.

Hope this helps

So you're saying the solution to Iran's problems is not investing in science?
Btw, a few years ago the US and UK helped Ukraine start an Antarctic base, despite having a worse economic situation, so...
Speaking of Antarctic bases, it seems that US stations are facing a #metoo crisis

Not at all. The pro-science aspect of the Iranian people is one of its great strengths. And in my opinion sets it apart from many other countries in the region as well as apart from certain other at least officially "fundamentalist" belief based countries.

No my thinking is that a country that is facing a long term water crisis such that for a decade now some Iranian scientists have warned of Iran _massively depopulating_ because of it, should probably be absolutely laser focused on this epic existential threat. Bringing all resources, accepting any relevant assistance no matter from where and basically not splurging limited funds and resources on vanity projects. So far Iran's water policies have not helped but rather the opposite.

(My edit bar is grayed out, alas, so I'll quote the old fashioned way)

"In July 2013, Issa Kalantari, the Minister of Agricultural under president Hashemi Rafsanjani, told Ghanoon newspaper that the water crisis is the "main problem that threatens" Iran, adding that it is more dangerous "than Israel, USA or political fighting among the Iranian elite". If the water issue is not addressed, Iran could become "uninhabitable". If this situation is not reformed, in 30 years Iran will be a ghost town. Even if there is precipitation in the desert, there will be no yield, because the area for groundwater will be dried and water will remain at ground level and evaporate."

Reading up on the subject I have seen others echo this fear and that the threat has not gone away since 2013 but rather been exacerbated.

Of course if an Antarctic base will somehow help Iranian scientists understand weather patterns better and thus drought mitigation or something like that then this is a different story. It's not just tens of millions of USD plus more in upkeep being splurged (if it ever happens of course) for mere national pride brownie points.

Further reading on the subject:

Last edited:
Not at all. The pro-science aspect of the Iranian people is one of its great strengths. And in my opinion sets it apart from many other countries in the region as well as apart from certain other at least officially "fundamentalist" belief based countries.

No my thinking is that a country that is facing a long term water crisis such that for a decade now some Iranian scientists have warned of Iran _massively depopulating_ because of it, should probably be absolutely laser focused on this epic existential threat. Bringing all resources, accepting any relevant assistance no matter from where and basically not splurging limited funds and resources on vanity projects. So far Iran's water policies have not helped but rather the opposite.

(My edit bar is grayed out, alas, so I'll quote the old fashioned way)

"In July 2013, Issa Kalantari, the Minister of Agricultural under president Hashemi Rafsanjani, told Ghanoon newspaper that the water crisis is the "main problem that threatens" Iran, adding that it is more dangerous "than Israel, USA or political fighting among the Iranian elite". If the water issue is not addressed, Iran could become "uninhabitable". If this situation is not reformed, in 30 years Iran will be a ghost town. Even if there is precipitation in the desert, there will be no yield, because the area for groundwater will be dried and water will remain at ground level and evaporate."

Reading up on the subject I have seen others echo this fear and that the threat has not gone away since 2013 but rather been exacerbated.

Of course if an Antarctic base will somehow help Iranian scientists understand weather patterns better and thus drought mitigation or something like that then this is a different story. It's not just tens of millions of USD plus more in upkeep being splurged (if it ever happens of course) for mere national pride brownie points.

Further reading on the subject:

So you are worried about Iran?lol
What a good Murican 🤣

So you are worried about Iran?lol
What a good Murican 🤣

There is an unfortunate tendency on this forum to play the man not the ball. I.e. to belittle the writer and impune his motive rather than, for instance, grudgingly acknowledge when one might actually have a point.

I am a citizen of the world. I happen to have immigrated to the USA. If this thread was about what us good Muricans face, for example in the likely choices in our next presidential election, I would be crying on your shoulder in frustration. But this thread is not about Murica.

The true tragedy of Iran, to my mind, is the tremendous loss of potential for the world. Lots of brilliant amd inventive minds and a culture of scientific learning alas hobbled and misdirected. If one was to judge by this forum, the apex of human achievement, the peak contribution to the betterment of the human condition is, apparently, military satellites, military drones and... an Antarctic base? Great national priorities I am sure. In the meanwhile 70 million Iranians might become climate refugees or die of thirst in a mere generation and that's not even considering, oh I don't know, Iran's demographic problems of a looming aged-depency ratio crisis as a result of a fertility collapse that shows little signs of abating.

Iran could be the soft power giant of the Middle East and well beyond. It could compete with the technology fount locations of the world. It could lead the world in so many fields of human endeavor. This loss of such tremendous potential is something even us naturalized Muricans can and should honestly feel sad to contemplate.

let me know if you find underground bases with grey aliens or reptilians.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom