What's new

Featured Iranian Bavar-373 long range air defence system- A quantum leap in Iran's air defence capability

Well-constructed and meaningful article. Credit where due.

Bistatic engagement principles sound great in theory and a number of Russian defense systems have this capability including the S-400 system.

They do not work as advertised: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/30100/no-passive-radar-isnt-stealth-ending-magic-people

- not against the type of threats such as F-22A and F-35 variants - these not only have VLO class frame across several bands, they are jam-packed with numerous types of countermeasures and capabilities of their own. Should not mistake these for static test objects.

Israel have shown as much in Syria.
congratulations on you mods badge how are you sir the article is talking about S band detection and inaccurate tracking in conjunction with terminal phase x band tracking via missile in around 5 to 10 km range(there is nothing passive about it). Both the fighters are not s band spooks (b2 spirit is) and can be tracked with x band at shorter ranges so the article concerned is somewhat irrelevant.

Last edited:
great comment right here:lol::tup:,,, InshAllah it will be in your hands by 2020-2021

Inshallah brother, I remember during the unveiling speech of the Bavar, Iranian President Rouhani did talk about how it would be a great thing if nations like Iran and Pakistan jointly developed projects. With regards to exporting Bavar-373, I can certainly see that happening once next generation of Bavar are ready.

The main threat to Iran comes from Israeli F-35 and of course if a conflict between Israel and Iran initiates, US B2 bombers will pose a significant threat. Arab countries do not pose a threat to Iran despite employing a significant number of air assets because none of the fighter jets are low observable and Iran air defense capability posses a significant deterrence as seen by downing of US drone. What remains to be seen is how Iran Bavar is going to perform when put up against 5th generation platforms and serious jamming capabilities of the opposition in a full scale conflict.
On topic congratulation to Iran. I like the moto "we can do it" reminds me of the time when Pakistan decided to acquire nuclear capability against India. Where there is a will, there comes a way.

The main threat to Iran comes from Israeli F-35 and of course if a conflict between Israel and Iran initiates, US B2 bombers will pose a significant threat. Arab countries do not pose a threat to Iran despite employing a significant number of air assets because none of the fighter jets are low observable and Iran air defense capability posses a significant deterrence as seen by downing of US drone. What remains to be seen is how Iran Bavar is going to perform when put up against 5th generation platforms and serious jamming capabilities of the opposition in a full scale conflict.
On topic congratulation to Iran. I like the moto "we can do it" reminds me of the time when Pakistan decided to acquire nuclear capability against India. Where there is a will, there comes a way.
Arab countries combined are definitely stronger than Iran, Saudi Arabia alone is a worthy challenger.

Arab countries combined are definitely stronger than Iran, Saudi Arabia alone is a worthy challenger.
And did you have anything to contribute to this topic which is Bavar 373 or are you just finding the next best thread to derail and flamebate?

Arab countries combined are definitely stronger than Iran,
I can agree with this, but thats on paper. The cripple in this your equation is that Arab Unity is non-existent. It used to exist, but even today, it doesnt exist, so at best, there are factions of Arab countries, which is quite different from "Arab countries".. Some with large armies either have internal unrest or are broke, and those with money will get overstretched.

Saudi Arabia alone is a worthy challenger.
You get a FAIL here bro, cuz this is false..
Do you know what Colin Powell told Saudi Arabia over a decade ago about their beef with Iran? he told Saudi Arabia not to play iwth fire, because IRan will send Saudis back some decades in development. Saudi has proven from Yemen war to actually not be a competent foe, and that actually checks out correctly with the reality that Iran is not afraid of Saudi. Iran is only afraid of US coming in to support Saudis and turn it into (US+ Saudi) against Iran. Saudis today cannot even field 15,000 ground soldiers to run the Houthis out of Sanaa....so THERE YOU GO, WITH YOU ISRAELI FAKE WEAPONS you sold to the Saudis. Israel and US tried to help Saudis as much as they could, but you know, thats one thing Israel and US always do that Iran never does - enter into sensitive relationships with unreliable partners.

Members,

Please do not take this thread off topic. This is an informative thread regarding Bavar-373. If you wish to discuss other matters please do so in the appropriate threads.

Members,

Please do not take this thread off topic. This is an informative thread regarding Bavar-373. If you wish to discuss other matters please do so in the appropriate threads.
thanks for the reminder.

I have a question - do any Iranian members know where Bavar-373s are current deployed in Iran? Someone like Amir_patriot would probably know something like this. If anyone knows, please share. i am curious to understand Iranian govts use of Bavars and the production rate/#s.

I have a question - do any Iranian members know where Bavar-373s are current deployed in Iran? Someone like Amir_patriot would probably know something like this. If anyone knows, please share. i am curious to understand Iranian govts use of Bavars and the production rate/#s.

There is no OSIN available from this yet. Once we know more, I will posted them here.

congratulations on you mods badge how are you sir the article is talking about S band detection and inaccurate tracking in conjunction with terminal phase x band tracking via missile in around 5 to 10 km range(there is nothing passive about it). Both the fighters are not s band spooks (b2 spirit is) and can be tracked with x band at shorter ranges so the article concerned is somewhat irrelevant.
Thank you, and I fine Alhamdulillah. Hopefully you are doing well also.

You may start a 'conversation' with me and I will explain to you.

I will respect the reminder of @Philosopher to not go off-topic here.

Thank you to brother @Serpentine for sharing this article regarding Bavar-373:

Bavar-373 : next generation

BAVAR373-PRINTREV1-1200x480.jpg

In August 2019, Iran’s long-range Bavar 373 air defense system was unveiled at an official ceremony attended by President Hassan Rouhani. The domestically-built system is the fruit of a decade of research and technology development. The project to develop such a missile defense system was initially launched after Russia suspended the delivery of its advanced S-300 batteries in 2010 under a deal reached with Iran three years earlier. The outcome, however, was not merely an Iran-made version of S-300 but a brand-new model in its entirety, even though it bears similarities in some parts to other air defense systems existing in the world. The achievement, in fact, paved the way for Iran to join a small club of countries in possession of the technology to design and manufacture such missile systems.

Bavar 373 is a hot launch system — unlike the cold launch method used in Russia’s S-300 — and benefits from cubical launchers instead of cylindrical ones. Despite certain similarities to the US-made Patriot, Bavar 373 is armed with a vertical launching system, or VLS, in sharp contrast to the slant launch system devised in the American missile system. Bavar 373 is a product of all such similar and different specifics and stands to be a unique air defense system, which was designed while taking into account the points of strength of other modern systems from across the global.

The system has a set of notable operational features, including detecting and engaging hostile targets or planes within a range of over 200 kilometers and using dynamic phased array radars, among them Meraj-4 with more than 10,000 elements, making it comparable to other similar air defense systems in the world; however, what gives the achievement its significance is that it constitutes Iran’s first ever operational success in the area of long-range air defense systems. The Islamic Republic accomplished that goal on the back of years of hard work and will, as a result, face fewer problems while taking the next steps.

Such has been the case with Iran’s ballistic missile program, which saw the country develop the expertise to produce Sejjil, Fateh missile family and Ra’ad-500 , Similarly, the country, after taking preparatory steps in the aerospace arena, managed to manufacture the state-of-the-art Qased satellite carrier, which is equipped with the solid-fuel Salman motor that has thrust vector control (TVC) capabilities. When it comes to unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), Iran has likewise succeeded in building Shahed 129 and Shahed 191 drones.

Therefore, there is hope that Iran will take the next steps in developing air defense systems with more power. Already, there are signs of the high-level technology that Iran is preparing to use in the next generation of its air defense systems!

In February this year, Iran unveiled solid-fuel short-range Ra’ad-500 ballistic missiles, which are capable of carrying payloads of about 500 kilograms and travelling 500 kilometers. Footage released of the test of the tactical missiles indicates that the projectiles have a very low circular error probable (CEP). But what makes this type of missile special is not its solid fuel – which was already successfully used to propel Fateh 313 and other Fateh-class missiles forward. Fateh 313 can carry detachable warheads with composite material used in its body, while, by comparison, all body parts of Ra’ad-500 — including the shell of its solid-fuel propellants — are made of such material. According to the data released by Iranian officials, the all-composite body enables the missile to withstand temperatures as high as 3,000 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, the solid propellant and the type of fuel used in this missile have been designed anew. The new-generation Zoheir solid-propellant motors have more capabilities than their predecessors. All the improvements have led to Ra’d-500 having the same range as Fateh-313 with smaller proportions and half the weight.

Such technological upgrades and enhancements in the process of developing next-generation missiles to be loaded on Bavar 373 — which is currently using Sayyad-4 missiles with a range of more than 200 kilometers — will enable Sayyad-5 missiles to reach a range of 400 kilometers or even more. Besides its technological advantages, such an achievement will have a strategic impact on the Islamic Republic’s deterrent power and change the shape of potential battle grounds in the future. Possessing an air defense system with a firing range of 400 kilometers — whose every battery would cover a circle with a diagonal of 800 kilometers — could turn into Iran’s winning card and give its air defense the upper hand in the battlefield, especially while employing the strategy of A2/AD or Anti-Access Area Denial, something that will greatly compensate for the limitations of the country’s air defenses. Moreover, since Bavar, in its current version, is a fully mobile system, it has the capability to entirely change the dynamic of the battleground in case of deployment to new operation fields – if the need arises, through maintaining its mobility and maneuver ability. It will also be able to shake the structure of regional and extra-regional enemies’ power.

The following are images of the sites where next-generation Bavar is likely to be installed:

S-c.jpg

syria.jpg

https://msai.ir/2020/06/19/bavar-373-next-generation/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom