What's new

Iranian military engine development news and updates

Because Iran uses this engine (and its derivatives) in its planes? Why does Iran have test stands for other engines? You are asking why Iran is building a facility that is key in the repair and maintenance of engines. These are things that Iran needs to be a regional maintenance hub for aircraft (which it has stated is it’s long term goal).

Iran has one of the oldest civilian fleets in the world. If it doesn’t learn to build critical parts for the engines then it’s air fleet will start to be grounded in the next 10 years more than it already has.

There is no Iranian CFM-56 coming anytime soon. Rest assured.

You guys do this all the time celebrating things without any proof of results. First with Qaher, then Kowsar, then Owj, then FJ engine, now this.

Either you all have memory of gold fishes or reality sets in 6-12 months (or longer) later and you realize your assumptions were beyond optimistic and bordering on delusional.

Don’t worry, I’ll be here to provide much needed skepticism.
I knew some one will ask that question..the answer is the test cell being built is not just a regular test cell..it is environmental test cell.. meaning if you do maintenance on an already established engine you do not need to do environmental simulation tests on it .only when you have a new designed engine that you need the full enviro tests...will shall wait for further evidence on this subject..in the meantime I stay optimistic you stay pessimist..truth shall make us free.

I knew some one will ask that question..the answer is the test cell being built is not just a regular test cell..it is environmental test cell.. meaning if you do maintenance on an already established engine you do not need to do environmental simulation tests on it .only when you have a new designed engine that you need the full enviro tests...will shall wait for further evidence on this subject..in the meantime I stay optimistic you stay pessimist..truth shall make us free.

You do if the engine has not been tested extensively in Iran’s climate or any other climate you are trying to simulate. Or did you forget what happened in 1979 in the desert by the US when they made wrong assumptions about an “established engine”?

My point is that I assume Iran will one day want to build CFM-56 or a similar engine, but that day is not today. Building facilities for next 20 years in mind is just proper planning, doesn’t mean there is something available today for it.

omissis

There is no Iranian CFM-56 coming anytime soon. Rest assured.
Of course there will be no new turbofan engine named CMF-56 produced in Iran, this is because it will be named with alphanumeric or different name after perhaps making some cosmetic changes.
As already done with the J85 --> Owj

Of course there will be no new turbofan engine named CMF-56 produced in Iran, this is because it will be named with alphanumeric or different name after perhaps making some cosmetic changes.
As already done with the J85 --> Owj

You know what I mean. Stop trolling.

So the engine story is real?? Although some says false alarm, some mistake in the news. mapna themselves avoided answering directly in their twitter posst.
It's just an overhauled engine, using some parts manufactured in MAPNA.

In fact, MAPNA officially rejected the news of building the jet engine:

در همین راستا برخی از منابع خبری اخیراً به ساخت موتور جت در‌ گروه مپنا پرداختند که بر اساس اعلام این گروه صحت ندارد

The best we can hope from Iran in this situation is to build turbo fan version of j85 ...

When you have to build everything by your self , you have to pass the logical technological steps , after mass producing j85 with reliable outcome , the next logical step would be building better turbo jet ( like mig 21 engine ) or making turbo fan version of j85 ....

We still don't have any evidence that Iran can mass produce j85 with reliable quality...

So let's go these talks ....

I would be glad to learn Iran could mass produce small turbo fan engine with at least 25 kn dry trust with reasonable weight to trust ratio and good quality ....

This simply mean massive step in our airplane industry

Last edited:
Well, if parts are produced - and with parts here is meant blades cause MAPNA - then the technoligy is there to build complete engine, cause the blades are the hardest part of such an engine.

Iran needs AWACS planes for the air force. Aside from that Iran needs to acquire the Russian variant of the engine for the Iran-140 (AN-140) plane. Maybe technology transfers or build it under license. The Ukrainian built engines for that plane were all duds and led to several fatalities. Iran recently showed that it can build the airframe of the Iran-140 domestically, so all that remains is a viable engine & perhaps some components. This is another area where Iran can benefit from its cooperation with the Russians.

When @mohsen has to be the voice of reason, you know you guys have lost your damn minds.

You know what I mean. Stop trolling.
Am I trolling?
please avoid labeling others.
My statement is a possible hypothesis, as I wrote already used for the OWJ turbojet, a practice also widely used by many countries.
Furthermore, officially, on the Iranian presidential website, there is no mention of the CFM-56, but literally "In the presence of the President in the MAPNA Company, the completely Iranian plane engine made in the MAPNA Industrial Group was successfully tested."
https://www.president.ir/en/143639

therefore this can support several hypotheses:
1) It is actually a completely new Iranian made plane engine and will have its specific designation.
2) It is an aircraft engine made with reverse engineering + with possible modifications and improvements, which however will be denominated differently from the engine from which it is derived.
Therefore, nobody trolls here, but there are users who try to suggest hypotheses, as are also hypotheses that you express, this is because neither you nor I are directly and physically involved in that project.
have a nice day.

FYI
Iran is amongst top 5 Aircraft engine research countries in the world according to ASPI ranking..no other country in the region comes close.

Rankings.JPG

Also amongst TOP 5 in advanced materials and composite materials research
ASPI_2.JPG

That article is from sometime last year,as it mentions that the test stand will be officially unveiled at the 11th kish air show [22-25-12-2022]
Nothing new was unveiled, it was just an exhibition of MAPNA's past achievements for president.
also news was the same, "test of an engine which has domestic components on domestic test stand", and each time, morons change the news. don't expect the MAPNA to publish a new statement each few months!

Let me give you an example how truth changes gradually in media, check the picture in the following link:
روشن شدن موتور ایرانی هواپیما؛ خبری دردناک برای جامعه برانداز و غربگدا - مشرق نیوز

The small line in the newspaper says:
successful test of airplane engine by domestic components and test platform (there is no space for elaboration in this short line)

Then the big line (title) on the page says:
Iran turned the airplane's engine on (double meaning)

The tweeter guy says:
Iran turned it's future plane's engine on (totally new concept)

And this is the title which mashreghnews has chosen for the link:
Turning the Iranian engine on

Nothing new was unveiled, it was just an exhibition of MAPNA's past achievements for president.
also news was the same, "test of an engine which has domestic components on domestic test stand", and each time, morons change the news. don't expect the MAPNA to publish a new statement each few months!

Let me give you an example how truth changes gradually in media, check the picture in the following link:
روشن شدن موتور ایرانی هواپیما؛ خبری دردناک برای جامعه برانداز و غربگدا - مشرق نیوز

The small line in the newspaper says:
successful test of airplane engine by domestic components and test platform (there is no space for elaboration in this short line)

Then the big line (title) on the page says:
Iran turned the airplane's engine on (double meaning)

The tweeter guy says:
Iran turned it's future plane's engine on (totally new concept)

And this is the title which mashreghnews has chosen for the link:
Turning the Iranian engine on

Attached here is not a newspaper article, but the Iranian presidential website, "In the presence of the President in the MAPNA Company, the completely Iranian plane engine made in the MAPNA Industrial Group was successfully tested."
https://www.president.ir/en/143639

Back
Top Bottom