What's new

Iran’s Chabahar won’t vie with Pakistan’s Gwadar: Experts

Dear you are basing your arguments on a conclusion you want to draw. :)
It actually depends. For eg: If the Africans eventually want to do business with China, they will most likely choose Chabahar over Gwadar because of a few reasons.

- Iran is a far more stable country than Pak.
- Iran is currently richer and more influential in the region.
- Iran provides easier access through Central Asia to both China and Europe.

If Gwadar is merely a conduit for China's energy security, then Chabahar won't pose any threat to Gwadar. But as for long term business potential, Chabahar's potential is higher due to the above reasons.

Iran being more stable is an analysis based on a scale that can never be made universal. For some Iran is more stable for others, they call it a terrorist state with nuclear ambitions right? I hope you do follow what your friends Israels have to say about Iran. Not that i agree with them on this one bit. For me, this is not a related problem either, the problem here is that i am not aware of a geographical connection between Iran and China. So if those Africans want to do trade with Chinese, they wont be passing trough what you call "Stable Iran" but also from Afghanistan. Now if you see Afghanistan more stable then Pakistan i will just stop arguing with you.

AND

I am not even talking or considering the Indian connection in Chabahar. :)

The request here is that you look at the facts and do not make posts based on what you wish for or what you want the end game to be. If you are comparing the Indian-Afghan cooperation possibilities and potential with China-Pakistan cooperation possibilities and potential, what can i say. You just need to look at the history and the current facts and figures that these countries have to offer and the equation will be very simple to understand. Not to mention the African connection in Pak-China link here along with the central asia.

Dear you are basing your arguments on a conclusion you want to draw. :)

Iran being more stable is an analysis based on a scale that can never be made universal. For some Iran is more stable for others, they call it a terrorist state with nuclear ambitions right? I hope you do follow what your friends Israels have to say about Iran. Not that i agree with them on this one bit. For me, this is not a related problem either, the problem here is that i am not aware of a geographical connection between Iran and China. So if those Africans want to do trade with Chinese, they wont be passing trough what you call "Stable Iran" but also from Afghanistan. Now if you see Afghanistan more stable then Pakistan i will just stop arguing with you.

First, Iran is extremely stable. There is little to no internal violence. Govt policies and laws are followed etc. You and I have a different definition of stable. In that sense, North Korea is extremely stable. If allowed, it is easy to do business in such countries.

Second, you are confused about something. Chabahar links India to Afghanistan. That doesn't mean Africa will use the India-Af link.

Take a look at this map.
silk-road.jpg

You will notice that the Silk Road passes through Iran without touching Af or Pak. Africa will link up to this Silk Road from Chabahar because of the direct infrastructure link between Iran and China. This link also gives Africa access to Central Asia and Europe. The Gwadar link provides no such advantage.

Third, the link between Af and India is primarily for the benefit of Af when they eventually start trading with the rest of the world. For now, it is only a conduit for Indian goods and Af resources. Af could unilaterally link up with Dushanbe to access the Silk Road, but that's Af's decision, it has little to do with India.

Basically, Chabahar will give India access to the Silk Road through Iran.

I am not even talking or considering the Indian connection in Chabahar. :)

The request here is that you look at the facts and do not make posts based on what you wish for or what you want the end game to be. If you are comparing the Indian-Afghan cooperation possibilities and potential with China-Pakistan cooperation possibilities and potential, what can i say. You just need to look at the history and the current facts and figures that these countries have to offer and the equation will be very simple to understand. Not to mention the African connection in Pak-China link here along with the central asia.

The map will answer all your questions anyway. Maps don't lie.

First, Iran is extremely stable. There is little to no internal violence. Govt policies and laws are followed etc. You and I have a different definition of stable. In that sense, North Korea is extremely stable. If allowed, it is easy to do business in such countries.

Second, you are confused about something. Chabahar links India to Afghanistan. That doesn't mean Africa will use the India-Af link.

Take a look at this map.
silk-road.jpg

You will notice that the Silk Road passes through Iran without touching Af or Pak. Africa will link up to this Silk Road from Chabahar because of the direct infrastructure link between Iran and China. This link also gives Africa access to Central Asia and Europe. The Gwadar link provides no such advantage.

Third, the link between Af and India is primarily for the benefit of Af when they eventually start trading with the rest of the world. For now, it is only a conduit for Indian goods and Af resources. Af could unilaterally link up with Dushanbe to access the Silk Road, but that's Af's decision, it has little to do with India.

Basically, Chabahar will give India access to the Silk Road through Iran.

The map will answer all your questions anyway. Maps don't lie.
Dear friend, again i will request you not to draw up assumptions and arguments based on what conclusion you are willing to get to, this can never turn out into a constructive debate. From this very map, see for yourself where the African will have to do to to get into China to, lets say Beijing, if they opt for Iranian route and avoid Afghanistan and compare it to the alternative that the Gwadar will offer. Once you consider this you will see the difference. Not to mention the Indian influence vs Chinese influence thing. The geography will speak for itself and politics will be the second line of defense only. Chabahar do not offers a more suitable route into China compared to Gwadar. It do not offers a more suitable route into Europe compared to Suez. The fact is that the port will hugely benefit Iran, Indian interests in the region will be protected and will provide better access to India into Afghanistan so they can keep there proxy war going on there without having to pass through Pakistan. These alone and big enough advantages sir and if anyone undermines the importance of Chabahar then they are wrong. The only thing i am trying to explain is that Chabahar and Gwadar wont come to a one on on competition due to there geographic positioning. However as i said, the aim to reach a conclusion before starting the discussion is not helpful sir.

Dear friend, again i will request you not to draw up assumptions and arguments based on what conclusion you are willing to get to, this can never turn out into a constructive debate. From this very map, see for yourself where the African will have to do to to get into China to, lets say Beijing, if they opt for Iranian route and avoid Afghanistan and compare it to the alternative that the Gwadar will offer. Once you consider this you will see the difference. Not to mention the Indian influence vs Chinese influence thing. The geography will speak for itself and politics will be the second line of defense only. Chabahar do not offers a more suitable route into China compared to Gwadar. It do not offers a more suitable route into Europe compared to Suez. The fact is that the port will hugely benefit Iran, Indian interests in the region will be protected and will provide better access to India into Afghanistan so they can keep there proxy war going on there without having to pass through Pakistan. These alone and big enough advantages sir and if anyone undermines the importance of Chabahar then they are wrong. The only thing i am trying to explain is that Chabahar and Gwadar wont come to a one on on competition due to there geographic positioning. However as i said, the aim to reach a conclusion before starting the discussion is not helpful sir.

The Silk Road is a major economic belt. China plans to connect the Silk Road route with bullet trains. And it isn't just a connectivity thing, the Silk Road will host many new industries and these industries will need raw materials. All of that will come from imports. And those imports will come from continents like Africa and even Afghanistan. So they can't necessarily use the Gwadar route.

Within 10 or 15 years, India will be an economy that's similar in size and capacity as China is today. In the long term, the Chabahar trade route could potentially see about $1 or $2T worth of goods flowing through for India alone. Depending on Iranian gas prices, India plans to invest $15B into Iran for the development of this trade route and that's a short term investment. All helped by the International North-South Transport Corridor.

North_South_Transport_Corridor_%28NSTC%29.jpg

And Suez Canal is an expensive route. Plus it takes twice the time compared to Chabahar as far as India is concerned. Basically, Chabahar and the NSTC will cut transportation time for India, ASEAN, Japan, Korea etc by a huge amount of time, at least 26 days. Any country that doesn't want to use the Chinese infrastructure can use the NSTC route which is to be built by India, Iran and Russia. This route gives Russia access to Africa.

You can read about it here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North–South_Transport_Corridor

The scale of business from Chabahar is really huge. Even the Japanese want in because they also want an alternative to the Silk Road. So we aren't talking about just India and Iran using this route. About 10 countries are invested in the entire project. Not to mention many other countries like Japan.

http://www.joc.com/port-news/asian-...india-chabahar-port-development_20160511.html

Compared to that Gwadar provides no major advantage that Karachi didn't already provide in the first place. But Silk Road and NSTC makes Iran a critical node for both India and China.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-to-central-asian-gas-riches-after-iran-deal
On a five-nation Central Asian tour last month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi backed an ambitious transit route through Iran that would effectively connect Europe to India by a series of sea, rail and road links. Currently, cargo from India has to go by air or take a detour through the Suez Canal.

And the Chabahar to Europe route only passes through two Asian countries. So the transit fees are much lower compared to any other route.

In fact, even Pakistan will find it advantageous to use the Chabahar's NSTC route into Europe because the transit will happen only between three countries versus the Gwadar-Xinjiang-Central Asia route which will see Pak goods traveling across 7 countries before reaching Europe. Chabahar will allow Pakistan to completely bypass Central Asia. Pak can actually cut the distance into just two countries by transporting goods across the Chabahar-NSTC route and then take the Silk Road route into Turkey, bypassing Azerbaijan and Russia.

So it's no surprise that China is actually not comfortable with the Chabahar project or the NSTC.

In fact the NSTC is in direct competition with Suez Canal.
http://rbth.com/business/2016/04/12...ia-to-india-to-compete-with-suez-canal_584017

I suppose this gives you an idea about the scale of the work being carried out in Iran by India.

The Silk Road is a major economic belt. China plans to connect the Silk Road route with bullet trains. And it isn't just a connectivity thing, the Silk Road will host many new industries and these industries will need raw materials. All of that will come from imports. And those imports will come from continents like Africa and even Afghanistan. So they can't necessarily use the Gwadar route.

Within 10 or 15 years, India will be an economy that's similar in size and capacity as China is today. In the long term, the Chabahar trade route could potentially see about $1 or $2T worth of goods flowing through for India alone. Depending on Iranian gas prices, India plans to invest $15B into Iran for the development of this trade route and that's a short term investment. All helped by the International North-South Transport Corridor.

North_South_Transport_Corridor_%28NSTC%29.jpg

And Suez Canal is an expensive route. Plus it takes twice the time compared to Chabahar as far as India is concerned. Basically, Chabahar and the NSTC will cut transportation time for India, ASEAN, Japan, Korea etc by a huge amount of time, at least 26 days. Any country that doesn't want to use the Chinese infrastructure can use the NSTC route which is to be built by India, Iran and Russia. This route gives Russia access to Africa.

You can read about it here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North–South_Transport_Corridor

The scale of business from Chabahar is really huge. Even the Japanese want in because they also want an alternative to the Silk Road. So we aren't talking about just India and Iran using this route. About 10 countries are invested in the entire project. Not to mention many other countries like Japan.

http://www.joc.com/port-news/asian-...india-chabahar-port-development_20160511.html

Compared to that Gwadar provides no major advantage that Karachi didn't already provide in the first place. But Silk Road and NSTC makes Iran a critical node for both India and China.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-to-central-asian-gas-riches-after-iran-deal

And the Chabahar to Europe route only passes through two Asian countries. So the transit fees are much lower compared to any other route.

In fact, even Pakistan will find it advantageous to use the Chabahar's NSTC route into Europe because the transit will happen only between three countries versus the Gwadar-Xinjiang-Central Asia route which will see Pak goods traveling across 7 countries before reaching Europe. Chabahar will allow Pakistan to completely bypass Central Asia. Pak can actually cut the distance into just two countries by transporting goods across the Chabahar-NSTC route and then take the Silk Road route into Turkey, bypassing Azerbaijan and Russia.

So it's no surprise that China is actually not comfortable with the Chabahar project or the NSTC.

In fact the NSTC is in direct competition with Suez Canal.
http://rbth.com/business/2016/04/12...ia-to-india-to-compete-with-suez-canal_584017

I suppose this gives you an idea about the scale of the work being carried out in Iran by India.
There is a common mistake that many people do. While talking about the Indian growing economy and mentioning how it will catch up the Chinese in 10 15 years, what people miss out on is that the Chinese will not be sitting ideally during all this time. India is chasing china but just like that the Chinese are chasing US so that will keep them on there toes as well. Considering this, the fact will remain that India-Afghanistan or even India-Iran will NOT be able to meet the China-Pakistan influence globally. Also AGAIN, for the third time i will mentioned that all this talk is WITHOUT even considering the Indian connection in Chabahar.

Chinese are investing heavily in Africa, as per my analysts, Africa is the new growing market and China is establishing itself firmly in this new market. For the Africans, the access to China will always be more convenient via Gwadar rather then via Iran for the reasons i mentioned in the previous posts.

You too now seem to be comparing Chabahar with Suez canal for access to Europe and not Africa to China or even central Asia as we were originally doing. :)

Anyway, for access to Europe, i hope you have heard to RCD Road. There have already been talks of reviving that projected and bringing it back to its potential but we were not talking about that. :)

Anyway, thanks for keeping calm and having a good debate. Just a friendly advise, AGAIN, it is better not to decide on a required outcome before starting the debate and then doing everything just to achieve that predetermined goal. This way nothing much constructive will ever come out of the debate.
Regards!

Last edited:
What did you think?
Hi,

I thought that Chabahar can't compete with Gawader since the latter is a deep sea port and with direct land link to China and through China to Central Asia in case Afghanistan is not cooperative.

There is a common mistake that many people do. While talking about the Indian growing economy and mentioning how it will catch up the Chinese in 10 15 years, what people miss out on is that the Chinese will not be sitting ideally during all this time. India is chasing china but just like that the Chinese are chasing US so that will keep them on there toes as well. Considering this, the fact will remain that India-Afghanistan or even India-Iran will NOT be able to meet the China-Pakistan influence globally. Also AGAIN, for the third time i will mentioned that all this talk is WITHOUT even considering the Indian connection in Chabahar.

I think you have misunderstood my point. People don't make trade decisions based on influence alone, money plays the biggest part.

In 10 to 15 years, India may be a $10T economy, whereas China may be a $20T economy, but it still means just the Indian trade could be in the $1T or $2T level between India and Europe. I have not even considered the impact of other foreign countries using that trade route.

Do you know how much money Iran can make in transit fees with India alone if that volume of trade passes through every year? Basically, India will end up transporting its entire trade with Europe and Central Asia through Iran. China will also do the same. Its trade volume could very well be $3T, and most of it will go through Iran. That's because Iran is the node for the trade routes. Look at the map, both the NSTC and Silk Road passes through Iran, neither route touch Pakistan.

Pakistan is not a node for trade. It only has one trade route through Gwadar that connects China. This trade route only connects two countries whereas the Iranian route connects three continents. So the volumes in trade transit completely lies in Iran's favour.

Chinese are investing heavily in Africa, as per my analysts, Africa is the new growing market and China is establishing itself firmly in this new market. For the Africans, the access to China will always be more convenient via Gwadar rather then via Iran for the reasons i mentioned in the previous posts.

As mentioned before, it depends a lot on how Africa commits to trade. If Africa is exporting straight to China, they will use Gwadar and China will also use Gwadar to export goods to Africa. But if Africa is exporting to not just China, but to other countries in Central Asia and Europe, they would prefer to use the Iranian link. The reason is financial and logistics.

It is obvious that the road and rail link of the Silk Road will be of higher capacity than the link between Pakistan and China. You can look at this image as an example.
Pakistan-China+Rail+Link.jpg

Pakistan is just one of the links as far as China is concerned. And China's main Silk Road link goes through Iran and ends at Khomeini Port which is in turn connected to a presumably superior road and rail network.

So the African country has the choice of using the Gwadar route based on distance or the Iranian route which has better connectivity.

And don't forget that the Gwadar route risks both China and Africa dumping their goods on Pakistan in the long run.

I think you have misunderstood my point. People don't make trade decisions based on influence alone, money plays the biggest part.

In 10 to 15 years, India may be a $10T economy, whereas China may be a $20T economy, but it still means just the Indian trade could be in the $1T or $2T level between India and Europe. I have not even considered the impact of other foreign countries using that trade route.

Do you know how much money Iran can make in transit fees with India alone if that volume of trade passes through every year? Basically, India will end up transporting its entire trade with Europe and Central Asia through Iran. China will also do the same. It's trade volume could very well be $3T, regardless it will go through Iran. That's because Iran is the node for the trade routes. Look at the map, both the NSTC and Silk Road passes through Iran, neither route touch Pakistan.

Pakistan is not a node for trade. It only has one trade route through Gwadar that connects China. This trade route only connects two countries whereas the Iranian route connects three continents. So the volumes in trade transit completely lies in Iran's favour.

As mentioned before, it depends a lot on how Africa commits to trade. If Africa is exporting straight to China, they will use Gwadar and China will also use Gwadar to export goods to Africa. But if Africa is exporting to not just China, but to other countries in Central Asia and Europe, they would prefer to use the Iranian link. The reason is financial and logistics.

It is obvious that the road and rail link of the Silk Road will be of higher capacity than the link between Pakistan and China. You can look at this image as an example.
Pakistan-China+Rail+Link.jpg

Pakistan is just one of the links as far as China is concerned. And China's main Silk Road link goes through Iran and ends at Khomeini Port which is in turn connected to a presumably superior road and rail network.

So the African country has the choice of using the Gwadar route based on distance or the Iranian route which has better connectivity.

And don't forget that the Gwadar route risks both China and Africa dumping their goods on Pakistan in the long run.
Gradually, we are coming towards the conclusion now and it is not what you were stressing on at the start. Again, to mention what i said initially in light of this post of yours, Chabahar while of great importance to Iran and India and may be Afghanistan wont come close to the potential of Gwadar. The money involved, the political influence, the geographic locations all indicates to the same and what you mentioned in the post regarding African future trades and growing economies indicate the same. What i was originally saying was that Chabahar while important for India and Iran wont be a direct competition to Gwadar for the already stated reasons. What is good is that most of these facts were stated by yourself sir. :tup:

What i was originally saying was that Chabahar while important for India and Iran wont be a direct competition to Gwadar for the already stated reasons. What is good is that most of these facts were stated by yourself sir. :tup:

I had already pointed that out a long time ago.
Gwadar is not in direct competition with Chabahar. China will continue using Gwadar and India will continue using Chabahar.

What I was arguing is based on this point I had made.
China will continue using Gwadar and India will continue using Chabahar. However the scale of business will be different for both. Gwadar will connect China to the Middle East and Africa, while Chabahar will connect India and even ASEAN to Central Asia and Europe. The quantity of business will obviously favour Chabahar. So CPEC is no threat to Chabahar.

All I have stated is the volume of business that will go through Iran from Chabahar will be magnitudes higher than from Gwadar.

Basically, all the countries in the Eastern Hemisphere who are using the Suez Canal can switch to the Iranian link and save billions in canal fees and cut travel time by a month. Gwadar doesn't provide such an advantage. So Chabahar will be in direct competition with the Suez Canal.

Transit trade through Pakistan will be in the billions. Transit trade through Iran will be in the trillions.

Basically, all the countries in the Eastern Hemisphere who are using the Suez Canal can switch to the Iranian link and save billions in canal fees and cut travel time by a month. Gwadar doesn't provide such an advantage. So Chabahar will be in direct competition with the Suez Canal.

Transit trade through Pakistan will be in the billions. Transit trade through Iran will be in the trillions.
Well this is just wishful thinking sir.Reasons stated earlier. You are just going in circles, you admit to one thing then deny they other and then admit the other one only to back out of the first one again. :P
I may have gotten into details and tried to explain it to you but then i came across this post of yours in another thread:

It's a brand new radar technology. It will replace current radar with an electronic eye that acts like a human eye and will have x-ray vision also. Basically Superman's eyes. Oh, did I mention it will be able to shoot down aircraft and missiles also? I'm not joking.

The second generation radar is many, many times superior to the first generation. The first gen is a simple radar that you can find in other aircraft today, including the F-22/35, Rafale etc. The second generation radar will be able to map an enemy pilot's face from 500Km away. It can see through the F-22's body and look at the type of weapons it is carrying, it can see through buildings and count the number of people inside it etc.

Myri bas hogai bahi :lol:

You could have replied in the other thread. I get banned replying to such messages. I can answer that there.
What else were you expecting sir?
I sure will reply to you there as well, i wont like to bring such things here either. :)

@Arsalan

You can sense how much of a threat Chabahar has become to the Chinese here.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...gh-sounding-rhetoric/articleshow/52634499.cms

Ten days after saying that China's multinationals will benefit from India developing the Chabahar port for Iran, Beijing-run media is now painting the deal as part of India's nefarious design for dominance in the Middle East, albeit one that will fail.

"Although New Delhi ostensibly highlights economic considerations, such as facilitating trade along the International North-South Transport Corridor and extracting minerals, natural gas and oil from the region, its larger geostrategic calculations and ambitions are obvious," said an article today in the state-run Global Times.

Ten days after saying it isn't ''jealous'' that India beat China to score the $500 million Chabahar development deal, Beijing is painting India's deal as unworkable "high-sounding rhetoric".

"Although India's expectations of Chabahar and the sea-land route are running high, especially following the lifting of international financial sanctions against Iran, major challenges remain. India may not be able to meet its generous offers and high-sounding rhetoric," it said.

Even though China expects India to fail, it still seems rather perturbed about India's grandiose ambitions, which it says are meant to counter China and Pakistan.

"Actually, Chabahar is just the tip of the iceberg of India's geostrategic ambitions. Besides building new berths and upgrades to Chabahar, what interests New Delhi more is a comprehensive scheme that can reshape India's geopolitics to the northwest and extend its influence further into the Middle East, Central Asia and the Trans-Caucasus," the article goes on to say.

The fact is, the Chabahar port is easily accessed from India's western coast and bypasses Pakistan. It will also give India entry into Afghanistan.

Iran said as much. The Chabahar agreement, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani said, "is not only an economic document: It's also a political and a regional one." He added: "With our joint investments in Chabahar, we can connect India through a reliable route to Afghanistan and countries in Central Asia."

Beijing, though, is having none of this talk. It refuses to believe this, saying that going through Pakistan remains the most economical route for India.

"A direct gateway through Pakistan provides the shortest and the most economical access for India to enter Afghanistan and Central Asia. However, due to long-standing mistrust, Islamabad is reluctant to grant India access", the Global Times article said.

Then there's the obligatory tom-tomming of its own much earlier deal with Pakistan — a 2012 agreement formalized in 2013 — to develop the Gwadar port. China and Pakistan are currently building a $46 billion economic corridor linking Gwadar port with Xinjiang.

Besides bypassing the overland blockage, India also views its investment in Chabahar as a counterweight against the Gwadar Port, a deep sea port 72km east of Chabahar, the article said.
Then, the piece de resistance. China cautions India about Iran.

"Iran may not always align itself with India's geostrategic goals. China is also crucial to Tehran's core interests. Iran never publicly articulated its opposition to the Sino-Pakistani project in Gwadar. Instead, it had aided the project by providing fresh water and fuel," it said.

If India expected too much from Iran, it is "bound for disappointment", the article said.

@Arsalan

You can sense how much of a threat Chabahar has become to the Chinese here.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...gh-sounding-rhetoric/articleshow/52634499.cms

Ten days after saying that China's multinationals will benefit from India developing the Chabahar port for Iran, Beijing-run media is now painting the deal as part of India's nefarious design for dominance in the Middle East, albeit one that will fail.

"Although New Delhi ostensibly highlights economic considerations, such as facilitating trade along the International North-South Transport Corridor and extracting minerals, natural gas and oil from the region, its larger geostrategic calculations and ambitions are obvious," said an article today in the state-run Global Times.

Ten days after saying it isn't ''jealous'' that India beat China to score the $500 million Chabahar development deal, Beijing is painting India's deal as unworkable "high-sounding rhetoric".

"Although India's expectations of Chabahar and the sea-land route are running high, especially following the lifting of international financial sanctions against Iran, major challenges remain. India may not be able to meet its generous offers and high-sounding rhetoric," it said.

Even though China expects India to fail, it still seems rather perturbed about India's grandiose ambitions, which it says are meant to counter China and Pakistan.

"Actually, Chabahar is just the tip of the iceberg of India's geostrategic ambitions. Besides building new berths and upgrades to Chabahar, what interests New Delhi more is a comprehensive scheme that can reshape India's geopolitics to the northwest and extend its influence further into the Middle East, Central Asia and the Trans-Caucasus," the article goes on to say.

The fact is, the Chabahar port is easily accessed from India's western coast and bypasses Pakistan. It will also give India entry into Afghanistan.

Iran said as much. The Chabahar agreement, Iranian president Hassan Rouhani said, "is not only an economic document: It's also a political and a regional one." He added: "With our joint investments in Chabahar, we can connect India through a reliable route to Afghanistan and countries in Central Asia."

Beijing, though, is having none of this talk. It refuses to believe this, saying that going through Pakistan remains the most economical route for India.

"A direct gateway through Pakistan provides the shortest and the most economical access for India to enter Afghanistan and Central Asia. However, due to long-standing mistrust, Islamabad is reluctant to grant India access", the Global Times article said.

Then there's the obligatory tom-tomming of its own much earlier deal with Pakistan — a 2012 agreement formalized in 2013 — to develop the Gwadar port. China and Pakistan are currently building a $46 billion economic corridor linking Gwadar port with Xinjiang.

Besides bypassing the overland blockage, India also views its investment in Chabahar as a counterweight against the Gwadar Port, a deep sea port 72km east of Chabahar, the article said.
Then, the piece de resistance. China cautions India about Iran.

"Iran may not always align itself with India's geostrategic goals. China is also crucial to Tehran's core interests. Iran never publicly articulated its opposition to the Sino-Pakistani project in Gwadar. Instead, it had aided the project by providing fresh water and fuel," it said.

If India expected too much from Iran, it is "bound for disappointment", the article said.
Dear it is just another TOI article. Full of patriotic chest thumping and boasting. I wont read too much into this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom