What's new

Is Defeat in a war good for a country?

A very thought provoking question you asked OP. I would not comment on the examples you have given, but address it broadly. A defeat, whether it's good or bad depends upon the extent of it's impact on the defeated nation. You cannot say Germany's defeat in WWI and WWII was beneficial. She suffered great humiliation and the social fabric of her society was greatly disrupted. She had to pay massive reparation after WWI which brought her economy to it's knee. On the other hand as you pointed out India's defeat in Sino-Indian war of 1962 did indeed benefited India's military. But just imagine what would have happened if we won?

Appreciate your comments, i do not intend to comment on how the social fabric of a country or if the country changed to worst after a war, i have just asked a broader question that - is defeat in a war better for a country in the long term economicaly, politically & militarily. You raised the right point what if country wins - well different persons can have different opinion, let me sight 1962 example, after making Nizam of Hyderabad & Portugal territories in India such as Goa to accede to Indian Union both our polity & military became complacent & were taking each & every thing casually, it was b'coz of this casual attitude that both Nehru & Krishna Menon at that time did not acknowledge the power of China & India lost the war badly, same for 1971 war, in which Pakistani leaders thought that after 1962 defeat & 1965 stalemate, now is the right time to bring India to its knees & just did not acknowledge India as a regional power, result the same a very shameful defeat, so my point is that after a good & resounding victory sometimes nations tends to become complacent & ultimately burn there hands in the future.

Arp2041

I stand by my contention. Yes, fact 1971 was Indian + Bengali victory. However like I said before from just the military perspective 1971 was not a titanic victory. The moment first Indian soldier took his first step forward PA in Bengal was doomed.

I am not looking at the reason behind the events of 1971. My summary was a survey of the battlefield and other factors that would inform the Indian + Bengali victory. It is a snap of the chessboard as it stood on the eve of Indian attack.

On eve of the Indian attack the lay of the chessboard was so in favour of Indian Army [IA] that nothing less than defeat was possible. If you played a wargame today the results would be same. How exactly was 90,000 men supposed to pacify 60 million hostlle bengali's in their own swamp and at the same time defeat Indian attack? 140,000 men NATO has failed to pacify a 27 million people nation let alone have to contend with full on attack by a large neighbouring army.

Who made them hostile on the first place??

Pakistan did. The truth was East Bengal should never have been part of Pakistan but got it's own independance. Or failing that then the capital should have been shifted to Dhaka and the keys to the state handed to the bengali's because they deserved to be in charge. They were the majority in the united Pakistan. There were more Bengali's in the east wing than all of the west wing put togather. Bengali should have been the state language not Urdu.

But the west wing treated the east wing as a colonial subject therefore from zero hours [ 1947 ] there was a ticking bomb and its mass was so large [ bengali population was greater than west wing ] that it was only inevitable. There was trouble in 1952 with language riots in Bengal against Urdu. But if you were given command of PA on eve of Indian attack that would hardly matter. We are looking here at the military aspect of the IA and Bengali victory that Indian's masticate so much.

"I would like to see the Punjab, North-West Frontier Province, Sind and Baluchistan amalgamated into a single State. Self-government within the British Empire, or without the British Empire, the formation of a consolidated North-West Indian Muslim State appears to me to be the final destiny of the Muslims, at least of North-West India".

Allahabad Address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"geographically contiguous units are demarcated into regions which should be constituted, with such territorial readjustments as may be necessary that the areas in which the Muslims are numerically in a majority as in the North Western and Eastern Zones of (British) India should be grouped to constitute ‘independent states’ in which the constituent units should be autonomous and sovereign"

Analyzing the text: The Lahore (Pakistan) Resolution – by Zubair Sheikh*|*LUBP

Aided by India?? Again my question, why did they needed aid from India in the first place??

Because of Pakistani policy since 1947 as explained in previous paragraph.

If that is the case India could have made it Independent in 1965 war only, it did not needed another war for it.

No my friend. If I and you had a fight how well would you do if two guys jumped on your back? In 1965 the Bengali's did not cause any trouble. In 1971 60 million Bengali's were baying for our blood and PA could not move around without being ambushed. Small units got trapped and cut off. There was a full scale insurection going on aided by a external power so please don't even compare 1965 to 1971. In fact india attacked Pakistan when there was a civil war in progress.

Who stopped Pak army from deploying more soldiers who can fight war??? don't say that it was India who did. Also does this mean PAF started a pre-emptive strike against India without knowing that it cannot fight a war in East Pakistan??

Common sense. That 90,000 figure was already too high because it was tasked with putting down the insurrection. Any more resources [ let us for now forget the difficulty of doing that ] would have exposed West Pakistan. That was not a risk a army made up of Punjabi-Pashtun prepare to take. West Pakistan border is nearly 800 miles long any more loss of manpower would have left gaping holes in the defence. Like I said before PA would not risk the west wing for the sake of east. All that hullabaloo about 'muslim brotherhood is just rhetoric' as I have said in the Bagladesh thread before. The pre-emptive was exactly that. When you know a attack is coming then you at least attack first to try to get some advantage. That is what pre-empt means.

I have ran out of time I will address rest of your points later.

yes defeat is good for country because it teach the lessons that dont forget your defence and than no country after it forget this lesson

Appreciate your comments, i do not intend to comment on how the social fabric of a country or if the country changed to worst after a war, i have just asked a broader question that - is defeat in a war better for a country in the long term economicaly, politically & militarily. You raised the right point what if country wins - well different persons can have different opinion, let me sight 1962 example, after making Nizam of Hyderabad & Portugal territories in India such as Goa to accede to Indian Union both our polity & military became complacent & were taking each & every thing casually, it was b'coz of this casual attitude that both Nehru & Krishna Menon at that time did not acknowledge the power of China & India lost the war badly, same for 1971 war, in which Pakistani leaders thought that after 1962 defeat & 1965 stalemate, now is the right time to bring India to its knees & just did not acknowledge India as a regional power, result the same a very shameful defeat, so my point is that after a good & resounding victory sometimes nations tends to become complacent & ultimately burn there hands in the future.

Sir,

You have asked a wrong question---war with china and pakistan were border skirmishes ---if you don't take into account east pakistan / bangladesh.

Defeat in war means---enemy soldiers will come---they will gang rape your girls and women---take out your boys as well as men and possibly sodomize them to completely humiliate and degrade them---.

Wars are not good----defeat in war is terrible---. Why do you indians hate the muslim / pakistanis so much---isn't it because of the defeats in wars that you had over the centuries where the invading muslim armies totally took over the land---.

Now do you understand what defeat in war means---you become enslaved---for years and centuries---you can't walk with your head held high---you are afraid for your children---sons and daughters---you are afraid for your women---you are afraid of the shadow of the lurking enemy soldiers---.

It is not a good place to be---defeat in war is not a good thing----.

Son---what were you really thinking----like candy is being distributed after you lose he war---.

MK.. very true, you missed the part that even the religion and history is destroyed of the loosing side.

Losers are deprived of education and opportunities for decades to come!

I feel sorry for Afghan and so called 'Indian Muslims'.

I know only one thing:-

History is written by those who are victorious.

Good for India , 1962 . Bad for Pakistan , NK . I can say good for bigger nations or democratic nations , bad for communistic or dictator nations .

Just as the saying goes-

"Every one goes astray, but the least imprudent are they who repent the soonest."

Defeat is not a defeat if one learns something from it .

But on the other hand if one chose to go one the same path over and over again after simultaneous defeats , then that get categorized as madness.

Choose which category u fit into.

No I disagree defeat in itself is not necessarily good for a country. Yes, Germany and Japan arose from the ashes but there are many other variables in play and therefore you are wrongly reducing this to one variable - defeat.

I think with a doubt total war is good for a country - By that I mean a protracted war that involves the entire nation in a life and death struggle. WW2 or the Iraq and Iran [in particular Iran ] war are examples.

The reasons are total wars involve millions of men and the result is society becomes moulded into one. A nation is born out of blood and guts of men killed. Such wars are equalizers in that any regional/sectarian/tribal or class differances are bridged as men of all backgrounds lie and spill their guts in the mud. A common national spirit is forged.

It brings out the collective spirit and discipline. It reinforces hard work anmd sacrifice for the collective good and it breads national pride. In addition total wars take a heavy toll on men and having faced real bullets men tend to be humble and less prone to rash rhetoric that typifies our people.

In addition there social implications. With so many men gone to war social norms start breaking down. Class differances are reduced as rich and poor sleep in the mud and take bullets. Because of shortage of manpower millions of women are drafted into work and some even end up working in positions reserved to men. This helps to emancipate women.

So I would suggest total war is good for a country however on the other side of coin is the maimed and killed which will run into millions. So I am not suggesting go have war but I just want to point out these type of wars do produce strange benefits. most European countries have been through these type of wars. W in South Asia have in comparison had nursery fights in Kindergarten school yard. Consider Battle of Somme. In one day British Army had 60,000 killed. By the time the battle was over 1 million men were dead. India, Pakistan in 65 years put togather have not lost half the men the British lost in one day.

Battle of the Somme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

arp2041

For god sakes why do you Indians keep bringing up 1971 as example of titanic victory. Even before the first Indian soldier took a step forward the outcome was a foregone conclusion. Would you expect anything else than a total defeat? Lets just recap and look at some facts from which you can conclude Pakistan Army was doomed from the start.

Do you lot use the 1971 defeat of a smaller country whose outnumbered army was swamped in the Bengal delta to mask the beating India got in 1962 at the hands of a country in your own size league, China?

1. Almost all of the 60 million Bengali population was hostile to Pak Army.

2. There was general insurrection [ civil war ] going on involving Pak army and Mukti Bahini and other Bengali rebels aided by India.

3. East Bengal is 1,200 miles from Pakistan with no GLOC. Logistics supply is either by air [impossible in hostile Indian airspace] or sea [ possible but involving sea journey of about 2,400 miles sailing astride Indian coastline vulnerable to attack from Indian Navy.

4. Bengal is a delta region ill suited to mechanized forces and alien to mostly Punjabi/Pashtun soldiers of Pak Army but ideal terrrain for the Bengali guerrilla fighters who are operating on home turf.

5. East Bengal was surrounded by India on 3 sides with the sea on the 4th side.

6. Total strength of Pak Army is nearly 90,000 men including staff, logistics etc. Most of this force was deployed on counter insurgency operations and was never intended to handle a Indian attack at the same time. [ As a example there are over 140,000 NATO troops in Afghanistan in a country of 25 million - East Bengal had about 60 million people with 90,000 Pak soldiers ] Yet as we know the combined might of NATO is struggling to control the insurgency.

As if the six points above are not taxing enough for Pak Army [ clearly it's hands were already full] India joins in.

7. India is nearly 7 times bigger than Pakistan that would [ all things equal ] equate to 7 times more resources.

8. India throws all it's might on three sides of East Bengal and working in synergy with Bengali irregulars defeats the pinned down, overwhelmed Pak forces.

Even a friggin superpower would have had problems. In addition West Pakistan [ something Bengali's complained about with some justification ] concentrated on defence of the west wing. The east wing had hardly any air cover and nominal air force deployed thereby underlining Pak prejudice and double standards.

The policy was 'defence of Pakistan lies in the west' which was another way of saying 'as long as west is safewe don't care about the Bengali's'. Even the 90,000 men were the result of additional forces broughty in to quell the rebellion. Essentially these were light infantry units to tackle the Bengali populace.

Considering these points would you expect anything else than defeat? Even FM Runstedt or Rommel would have given up. The real crime was GHQ should have realized this the moment India attacked or better even before and put truce in place and voluntarily pull out. But nobody was big enough to do that.

I fully agree with you ...more than India, Pakistan should be given credit for their own defeat and breaking apart...... Well done Pakistan....

Sir,

You have asked a wrong question---war with china and pakistan were border skirmishes ---if you don't take into account east pakistan / bangladesh.

Defeat in war means---enemy soldiers will come---they will gang rape your girls and women---take out your boys as well as men and possibly sodomize them to completely humiliate and degrade them---.

Wars are not good----defeat in war is terrible---. Why do you indians hate the muslim / pakistanis so much---isn't it because of the defeats in wars that you had over the centuries where the invading muslim armies totally took over the land---.

Now do you understand what defeat in war means---you become enslaved---for years and centuries---you can't walk with your head held high---you are afraid for your children---sons and daughters---you are afraid for your women---you are afraid of the shadow of the lurking enemy soldiers---.

Son---what were you really thinking----like candy is being distributed after you lose he war---.

The hate has not to do so much with Muslim invaders but what they did. Akbar is appreciated while Aurangzeb is detested. It would not be wrong to say that his actions laid the foundations for Muslim - Sikh animosity while cementing Muslim - Hindu anomosity.

On the bold part.. which century are you talking of ? Gone are the days when a nation can occupy another beyond an IB. Enslaved.. these words belong to the previous centuries.

In any case it does not make economic sense for a nation to occupy & hold land + population of another. The economic & social costs of looking after captive population is probihitive. It is easlier to enter, threaten, destroy and pull out.

EP/ BD was a comprehensive defeat. India pulled out its troops within months focusing itself only on POWs.

lost the war badly, same for 1971 war, in which Pakistani leaders thought that after 1962 defeat & 1965 stalemate, now is the right time to bring India to its knees & just did not acknowledge India as a regional power, result the same a very shameful defeat, so my point is that after a good & resounding victory sometimes nations tends to become complacent & ultimately burn there hands in the future.

where do you people get that idea yahya khan apparently thought that by attacking india it could scare india away and even if india doesnt stop the war will deivert the concentration of the indian forces to west but what he didnt take into account is that india didnt have a problem even with a war bcz east pakistan was facing heavy insugency activity by ofocuse indian help the borders of east pakistan were not protected at the same degree as west pakistan and had loop holes they didnt even have tanks and had an air force of only 10 planes so if even the war had become a stalemate i would have been surprised and you would have been ashamed

Sir,

The question isn't wrong because defeat is good, it makes u understand that ur tactics like doing a just war, providing quarter to the enemy when he is down or maligning the enemy (and thus weakening him mentally) are to be done whatsoever, in addition makes u understand where u are weak and identify the enemy's strengths, and the opportunities u can identify of them.

True the Indians psyche resents the humiliation from Muslim onslaught and later on the western one's but today for whatever reasons we have created a nation of sorts (i say this because by accidents or because of necessities one is created and a united one mind u, not the fractured one muslim armies faced then) and this will get stronger inspite of casteism and religions and ethnicities as the education among the young is on the rise, and over the period these spiteful reasons will be cleared because of education not because we Indians are on moral high!!! I always look at America for hope the civil war the differences that exist in a democracy are wiped out over the period by the system itself. It is then that we can hope to challenge any one. I think this will not take another two centuries , this can happen in one also.

Absolutely not! As Winston Churchill puts it, "History is written by the victors". If a country loose the war, the victor write their view of the conflict. They brain wash people and make it look like they had done something good for the people in winning the war. They portray the loosers as evil. Take Germany for example. Germany is portraid evil in every WW documentary and the allies are shown as heroes or saviors. Don't take me wrong, Hitler did do some nasty thing but that doesn't mean you blame the entire country. Propaganda my friends!

Sir,

But you fail to realize that India's 1000 year war against the Muslims (sorry my friend, not Muslim rule) was won eventually. The Marathas and Sikhs carried on the foundational stone laid by the early Rajputs, and completely liberated all of India top to bottom (including present-day Pakistan) of Muslim rule. Everyone from the Bijapur Sultanate, Mughal Empire, Afghan Durrani Empire fell at their feet. When the British colonized all of India, 90% of the land was ruled by Hindus and Sikhs. There may have been intermittent defeats over the course of a millennium, but ultimately a victory over Islamic expansionism was secured.

As for your further argument, are you seriously under the impression that a defeated army will suffer their nation being brutally conquered and left in a devastating state of affairs in today's age? If that was the case, Pakistan would have ceased to exist in 1965 my friend.:wave:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom