What's new

Is this the IAF's biggest heli-lift ever?

uttarakhand10_350_062313052008.jpg

himachal_pradesh_rains.jpg

flood%20hercules_0.jpg

article-0-1A71DD9A000005DC-371_638x464.jpg

Extracts from TOI articles: -

> IAF, Army & state launch massive op to transport materials (wood & ghee) for mass cremation.
> 3 x Mi-17s lined up to carry wood, fuel, ghee, wooden planks, ropes etc. to Kedarnath.
> Fear of heavy cloud cover, rains biggest challenge for heavy choppers like Mi-17 that can't enter
narrow airspace in Kedar valley just below Yamunotri.

> Truckloads of wood on tarmac at Gauchar.
> Dhruv choppers airborne to enter Kedar valley.
> 24 quintals of firewood & fuel readied for Kedarnath.

Army choppers evacuated 253 of 1,000 stranded pilgrims in 24 sorties, more to follow.

Are C-130 being used for dropping supplies?

No, but they are being used to evacuate stranded people when available.

Extracts from TOI articles: -

> IAF, Army & state launch massive op to transport materials (wood & ghee) for mass cremation.
> 3 x Mi-17s lined up to carry wood, fuel, ghee, wooden planks, ropes etc. to Kedarnath.
> Fear of heavy cloud cover, rains biggest challenge for heavy choppers like Mi-17 that can't enter
narrow airspace in Kedar valley just below Yamunotri.

> Truckloads of wood on tarmac at Gauchar.
> Dhruv choppers airborne to enter Kedar valley.
> 24 quintals of firewood & fuel readied for Kedarnath.

Army choppers evacuated 253 of 1,000 stranded pilgrims in 24 sorties, more to follow.

This shows Dhruv is capable of navigating airspace where Mi-17v-5 can't go.

The Cheetah/Chetaks can also go there but they certainly cannot carry
as much load as Dhruvs can.

I believe this has had a positive effect in this tragedy - IAF getting a first hand run(and not a practice or simulated run) of a wide ranging transport operation.

The lessons learnt and use of platforms would accelerate their ability if any future requirements come up - from war to another rescue mission.

I believe this has had a positive effect in this tragedy - IAF getting a first hand run(and not a practice or simulated run) of a wide ranging transport operation.

The lessons learnt and use of platforms would accelerate their ability if any future requirements come up - from war to another rescue mission.

Absolutely. You can even see how efficiently they operated to repair bridges, road links etc. even in
such difficult weather and constant threat of landslides.

IAF helicopter operations, however, are the biggest revelation. I never thought they could log
so many sorties even in such weather, rescue so many people, build up ALGs and makeshift
runways/helipads in the most adverse terrain and round-the-clock replenishment of fuel and
supplies was simply flawless.

Wait till those Chinooks, C-17s and additional C-130Js arrive, IAF's airlift capabilities will be
enhanced beyond their current threshold in a massive way.

The efficiency of manpower and land forces has been put to the test and they emerged with
flying colors.

Absolutely. You can even see how efficiently they operated to repair bridges, road links etc. even in
such difficult weather and constant threat of landslides.

IAF helicopter operations, however, are the biggest revelation. I never thought they could log
so many sorties even in such weather, rescue so many people, build up ALGs and makeshift
runways/helipads in the most adverse terrain and round-the-clock replenishment of fuel and
supplies was simply flawless.

Wait till those Chinooks, C-17s and additional C-130Js arrive, IAF's airlift capabilities will be
enhanced beyond their current threshold in a massive way.

The efficiency of manpower and land forces has been put to the test and they emerged with
flying colors.

To be honest I am not that impressed with IAF's performance. They should have picked up the pace right away..
That said, they did pick up the pace with time and then ran with it.

They would however indeed do much better when the Chinooks, the additional Mi 17 V5 and C-130's would arrive.

The Mi 17's being the crucial work horse, i hope Russia delivers them fast.

Exactly, this disaster has provided them with an excellent opportunity to remove kinks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom