ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Islamabad Airport to be outsourced for 15 years: aviation minister

Dawn.com
July 21, 2023

Aviation Minister Khawaja Saad Rafique on Friday announced in the National Assembly that the Islamabad Airport will be outsourced for 15 years.

“The navigational services and runway operations will not be outsourced. The CAA will continue to do it,” he said on the floor of the house. “The rest will be outsourced.”

He added that the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a World Bank offshoot, is the government’s consultant on the matter.

The finance ministry had said in March that efforts to outsource airports had begun. Late last month, the government said it was looking to outsource only the Islamabad Airport at the moment. Last week, the Civil Aviation Authority told an NA panel that outsourcing was in motion.

Today, the minister said on the floor of the house that “12-13 companies have shown interest and that there will be competitive bidding”. He assured the lawmakers that the public procurement rules are being completely followed. “We are proceeding under the private-public partnership authority rules,” he said.

“This will be Pakistan’s first airport that we are outsourcing. In it, the best international practices will be implemented,” the PML-N leader said, adding that afterwards, Lahore and Karachi’s airports will be outsourced.
“The whole world has done this. We must decide if we want to remain in the stone age.”

He said the world’s best airport operating practices are through private operators.

“In our neighbouring country India, there are around eight airports whose operations have been outsourced. Likewise, Istanbul’s airport is outsourced, Madinah’s airport is outsourced. There are countless examples.”

He said outsourcing “does not at all mean” that the airport is being sold or mortgaged, or that anyone will be made jobless. “I have been repeatedly saying this, and I am stating on the floor of the house that [with regard to] Islamabad Airport — which the government wants to outsource and which we are working towards — no employee will be rendered jobless. Everyone will have job security and they will get their salaries as per the law.”

PIA privatisation​

Rafique then made a case for privatising the national flag carrier Pakistan International Airlines (PIA).“My colleagues know me, I was against privatisation. But even a person like me has realised that if PIA — whose deficit is Rs80 billion this year — remains as is, its deficit will balloon to Rs259bn by 2030.”

He said: “Can Pakistan afford this? No, it can’t. So what should be done? What South African Airlines and Air India did. Tata has ordered 450 new planes for Air India. The state cannot run it. The state can [only] ensure that no employee of PIA should be rendered jobless.”

The minister said a holding company would be created for PIA — whose liabilities he said were Rs742bn. “It needs billions in investment. You have 27-28 planes that are operational. You cannot compete with the powerful airlines of the Gulf,” he said, warning that if PIA is not restructured, it could shut down in the next 1-1.5 years.

“We are putting it on this path. The next government will see this [endeavour] through. All the employees’ rights should be protected. No one should be allowed to play politics on this. It can be profitable — if the private sector comes. It should be on merit.”

PIA flights to UK resuming​

The aviation minister also revealed that following “historic” legislation last night, the last remaining “roadblock” for flights to resume to the UK had been removed.

Criticising his predecessor Ghulam Sarwar Khan’s “foolish statements, which cost the country Rs70bn”, Rafique said in the next three months, flights to the UK will resume.

“This is very good news for overseas Pakistanis. In the next three months, at least flights to the UK will resume. After that [flights to] EU and America [will resume].”

maybe sell the people for $1 each?

they aren't good for anything. might get something for selling them as a commodity

Damn, where would the failed err I mean over looked upcoming retired Military Officers will go for their cushy posh jobs ? or will there be a clause that requires hiring of recently retired military personal ?

maybe sell the people for $1 each?

they aren't good for anything. might get something for selling them as a commodity
Nah, you have over-prized them. The best they can fetch in international market is $0.05

Nah, you have over-prized them. The best they can fetch in international market is $0.05
you need to factor in delivery fees and shipping insurance.

1689977759943.png

If the locals who have the connections or favored to operate them in the past have failed miserably and merit will never see the light of day - why not let foreigners take over if they will do better than the previous operators?
They are only privatizing money making parts of buisness. All 200 plus money losing crown corporations are still government owned.
PTCL sold to UAE by these geniuses still owes 800 million plus for purchase and they are pocketing 100% of the profits ever since.

Does this finally mean that the pick up lane in Islamabad airport will no longer be reserved for faujis and bureaucrats and politicians and you can finally use it for it's goddamn purpose?

Does this finally mean that the drop off lane on the top level will finally be completely opened rather than being reserved for those who know someone?

I have complained about this from the PM portal, to someone in CAA, all the way up to DG ASF, but all of them say ham kuch nhn kar saktay.

This country is only for the rich.

I once got offered by some spoiled brat that he could get me through immigration quickly. He was like kyun zidd kar rahay ho, ajao bhai. I got annoyed and told him if I wanted to skip immigration I could have by myself, but I chose not to do so and off he went. He was sipping on wine the whole way, and took a bottle in his bag too. And voila, there was a black waistcoat waiting for him at the gate. And then what do you know, he was out in a white Land Cruiser.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom