What's new

Islamabad main "Kaanpein taang rahi hain"?

Zas.jpg

Dynastic politics is a shame in democracies. I pity the likes of PPP and Congress workers who slog their asses off their entire career, only to have an heir like Pappu or Bilawal parachuted to the throne at the right moment. Well on 2nd thoughts, I don't pity them. They always have a choice.
Dynastic politics is a rite of passage for countries transitioning towards democracy. It falls by the way side when a clown comes along.

The real fruit of a continuing democracy is a political ecosystem with stable & established political parties that create leaders on merit. That takes a while. In the meantime dynasts fill the gaps.

The only real reason why dynastic politics works is that low-level politicians want to form relations & have continuity in their own careers. Another reason might be that it is easier to hype up someone to voters, but that has no value in a (somewhat) merit-based party where politicians climb on their own strength & gather a following along the way.

Dynastic politics is a rite of passage for countries transitioning towards democracy. It falls by the way side when a clown comes along.

The real fruit of a continuing democracy is a political ecosystem with stable & established political parties that create leaders on merit. That takes a while. In the meantime dynasts fill the gaps.

The only real reason why dynastic politics works is that low-level politicians want to form relations & have continuity in their own careers. Another reason might be that it is easier to hype up someone to voters, but that has no value in a (somewhat) merit-based party where politicians climb on their own strength & gather a following along the way.

Even mature democracies have some element of dynastic politics, maybe not not in-your-face like in South Asia, but it does manifest in the form of the right education, better connections etc which enable an easy rise to the top.

To be fair, even in India most politicians across party lines have had it easy because of lineage, but have had to work harder than Rahul Gandhi. Naveen Patnaik, Uddhav Thackrey, MK Stain, Sachin Pilot, Omar Abdullah, Jagan Reddy, the list is endless. To an extent BJP is more meritocratic. Makes me admire women like Mayawati and Mamta Bannerjee who had to struggle doubly - against dynasty and male domination.

In India the joke among political analysts is that the Congress is so internally divided and dislike each other, they will never tolerate the other as a PM candidate, so they put their weight behind Rahul as an (ironically) neutral candidate. The classic sub continent mentality of "Main nahin to tu bhi nahin"

The classic sub continent mentality of "Main nahin to tu bhi nahin"
Oh brother, ain't that the truth? Rahul would have been swept aside a long time ago. I think he should go in hybernation for a few years. That would do India good.

The real fruit is the well established Dynastic mango that Pakistani's have been sucking at for more than 3 decades.
Funny part is even after so much sucking nothing comes out of the mango as it is bone dry.

The real fruit is the well established Dynastic mango that Pakistani's have been sucking at for more than 3 decades.
Funny part is even after so much sucking nothing comes out of the mango as it is bone dry.
Nah, bro. Just look at the stone y'all have been sucking since 1958, thinking that it is a mango. It would be funny if not exceedingly tragic.

BTW, any chance that you realize that PPP is just about finished in Central & Northern Punjab? That is how performance matters & that is how people judge it via their votes. You should learn how systems work.

Nah, bro. Just look at the stone y'all have been sucking since 1958, thinking that it is a mango. It would be funny if not exceedingly tragic.

BTW, any chance that you realize that PPP is just about finished in Central & Northern Punjab? That is how performance matters & that is how people judge it via their votes. You should learn how systems work.
Never been a fan of any of the political parties of Pakistan anyway as I've spent the better part of my life in foreign countries. You can't really compare a mature democratic system with Pakistan.

To call Pakistan's system *democratic* is being uneducated about the ground realities. At the core, it is dynastic politics; forcing de-facto monarchies, nepotism, peppered with a high dose of religious indoctrination that engineers low literacy rates , creating a cycle of poverty resulting in a population of gullible slaves. Slaves don't have free will.

Everybody in this business is just rooting for their pound of flesh, from the lowest rung of the society, to the highest echelons of power. This perverse and toxic mindset has been made part and parcel of the mindset of the Pakistani population, and nothing short of re-education / internment camps that focuses on loyalty to the White and Green in Chinese style will fix it.

Never been a fan of any of the political parties of Pakistan anyway as I've spent the better part of my life in foreign countries. You can't really compare a mature democratic system with Pakistan.

To call Pakistan's system *democratic* is being uneducated about the ground realities. At the core, it is dynastic politics; forcing de-facto monarchies, nepotism, peppered with a high dose of religious indoctrination that engineers low literacy rates , creating a cycle of poverty resulting in a population of gullible slaves. Slaves don't have free will.

Everybody in this business is just rooting for their pound of flesh, from the lowest rung of the society, to the highest echelons of power. This perverse and toxic mindset has been made part and parcel of the mindset of the Pakistani population, and nothing short of re-education / internment camps that focuses on loyalty to the White and Green in Chinese style will fix it.
Some fantasies never die, no matter how hard facts hit.

Problem with this "democratic" system in Pakistan is that voters elect "people" and not parties.

Person who can solve their problems with Patwaris, SHO, roads, etc. etc.

Add to this the element of caste, family and so on.

IMO, we need a presidential system where the top most candidate is voted directly throughout Pakistan. After that local come the local candidates.

This will solve the issue of local petty politics deciding the fate of country.

Problem with this "democratic" system in Pakistan is that voters elect "people" and not parties.

Person who can solve their problems with Patwaris, SHO, roads, etc. etc.

Add to this the element of caste, family and so on.

IMO, we need a presidential system where the top most candidate is voted directly throughout Pakistan. After that local come the local candidates.

This will solve the issue of local petty politics deciding the fate of country.
That alone isn't the solution. The solution is to break up the provinces into at least 50 administrative units which can be governed by delegation instead of concentrating power in Lahore or Karachi.

Imagine him in his 40s 50s 60s. He has the potential to be the PM. He's got the wealth, legacy, international connection/backing, mafia support, Sindhi support. All unfortunately.

One of my relative saw bilawal once on TV and his eyes lit up. I asked him what's up, he goes he is the future PM I asked why, he goes did you not see Zardari son jump in the mud to speak to that old lady.
Ask your relative if he saw Bilawal motorcade crush people under their land cruisers.

Back
Top Bottom