What's new

Israel's missile test

Green Comrade

New Recruit

Reaction score
Israel's anti-ballistic Arrow-II missile, which has been partially funded by the United States, passed a key test by hitting an incoming target, the defence ministry said.

If one day we will need it, the system is functioning

Head of Arrow programme
Officials said the Arrow intercepted a simulated ballistic missile target launched at the Israeli coast similar to the Scud missiles that Iraq fired at Israel during the Gulf War in 1991.

Although the Arrow has had successful tests previously, this is the first time it has intercepted a small, high-speed missile head on.

Barak: "Significant contribution to Israel's military and strategic strength"

"The Arrow was fired at the target in a stable, precise manner until it hit and destroyed the target," said Daniel Peretz, head of the Arrow programme at Israeli Aircraft Industries.

"If one day we will need it, the system is functioning," he told Israel radio. "The system has become operational."

However, he added that IAI would continue to test the system regularly and that the next test would take place in several months.

Israeli defence officials said this test brought the Arrow-II success rate to seven out of eight tests and three out of three system tests.

They said initial results showed the Arrow's three main systems - the missile, the tracking radar and the fire control mechanism - had performed as planned.

World first

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak said the test was "a vital component in maintaining Israel's deterrent ability and will make a significant contribution to the state of Israel's military and strategic strength".

The deployment of the Arrow will make Israel the first country in the world to have its own anti-ballistic missile capability.

The test is reported to have been delayed several times over the past few weeks because of technical problems.

Israel has bitter memories of 1991 Scud attacks

Israel radio said the test was watched by a US Pentagon missile team and the missile operated "precisely according to plan".

During the Gulf War, American Patriot anti-missile missiles were widely used by Israel and other states, but they were not credited with hitting any incoming Iraqi Scud.

The Arrow project is expected to cost more than $2bn with at least half of the funds coming from direct US funding.

Correspondents say critics see the Arrow project as prohibitively expensive and incapable of stopping large numbers of incoming enemy missiles.

why is Saudi Arabia doing this arms deal with US?
They should have went with European,chinese or even
Russian weapons instead.

why is Saudi Arabia doing this arms deal with US?
They should have went with European,chinese or even
Russian weapons instead.

I agree with you. The U.S. isn't loyal. But in my opinion another option would be for Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries to develop there own defence industry. I mean they have the money and with it nothing is impossible.

Arab countries should bluid their weapon industry in colaboration with Pakistan and Turkey

we should think about Pakistan's defence first, by testing and developing of surface to air & air to air missile technology. I think we are far behind in this department from our rivals, some one should think about that.............

I know we have French weapons, but I am not sure of weapons from other European countries. Can some please list some of the European countries we buy weapons from?
List is too long. We buy quite a lot from the Europeans.

Arab countries should bluid their weapon industry in colaboration with Pakistan and Turkey

We are so far no unity on Kashmir and Palastine and you adivising them for Arms Industry ,,,

Turkey have very nice defence relations with ISRAEL

Can any one tells me what is maximum speed of Arrow interceptor if a Crusie Missile is faster then Anti Missile System what happend .?

we should think about Pakistan's defence first, by testing and developing of surface to air & air to air missile technology. I think we are far behind in this department from our rivals, some one should think about that.............

but we should Colaburate with other muslim countries as well

Back
Top Bottom