What's new

Italy to send marines back to India

italian%20marines--621x414--621x414.jpg

ROME — Italy said two marines on trial for murder in India would return to the country by Friday, after earlier saying they would remain in Italy in a move that had unleashed a diplomatic furore.

The two, Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, had been granted a special leave last month by an Indian court to return to Italy to vote in elections but had skipped bail.

The government said on Thursday it had received "ample assurances" from Indian authorities "on the treatment that the marines will receive and the defence of their fundamental rights".

"The government decided, also in the interests of the marines, to maintain the commitment taken when they were granted leave to take part in the elections to return to India by March 22," it said.

"The marines agreed to this decision," it added.

Prime Minister Mario Monti met with Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paola and Steffan de Mistura, a junior foreign minister who has taken a lead on the case, to discuss the issue on Thursday.

The government had announced on March 11 that the marines would not return from their leave.

The two are accused of killing two Indian fishermen they mistook for pirates off the Indian port of Kochi last year while they were serving as security guards on an Italian oil tanker.

AFP: Italy says will send marines back to India for trial

This is perfect case of foot in mouth italian govt has made fool of itself on the world stage now no one will beleave in there assurences first the VIP chopper deal now this whats wrong with Italy i guess they had thought that now destiny of Indians are in hands of Italy or Italians(Sonia Gandhi) it will be interesting to see what happens next will this be another purlia arms drop case or this time justice will be done but anyway at least this shows what power India has on world stage still much better than the Raymond davis affair :whistle:

Now I have been enlightened by the fact that..

1. It was spineless idiots who sent marines to Italy
2. It is SC who takes them back

LOGIC! :rofl:

If it is logic then it must be logic completely don't put assumption into it. Did I say that diplomats sent the marines to Italy, please don't assume.

What I meant is the marines are coming back only because of the stubborn position SC has taken. If SC was not involved do you know what our GOI would have done, it would have sent back Italian Ambassador and the Italians would be laughing from their backs now. Do you get the logic and understand what I mean or do you need more explanation?

at least this shows what power India has on world stage still much better than the Raymond davis affair :whistle:

I now feel bad for pakistani clowns like @RazPaK,who were jumping up and down with glee in thread about italy deciding not to send marines back..:yahoo: :yahoo:..

Last edited by a moderator:
Italian marines won't face death penalty: Salman Khurshid - Hindustan Times

India also allayed Italy's fears by saying that "according to well settled Indian jurisprudence, this case would not fall in the category of matters which attract the death penalty, that is to say the rarest of rare cases. Therefore, there need not be any apprehension in this regard," Khurshid said.

At the same time, Khurshid said the Supreme Court had ruled that India has the jurisdiction over the case and the marines -- Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Giron -- shall "once again be bound by the conditions contained in the order" passed by the Court on January 18.

"The Supreme Court, in its order dated 18 January 2013, in a writ petition filed by the Italian marines and the Republic of Italy raising several jurisdictional issues, had ruled, inter alia, that India has jurisdiction," Khurshid said.

The 12 nautical miles should apply to both China and India. In this case with the Italian marines, there would be contention.

Donot talk about International maritime laws, It is laughable for us here.

SCS and East sea issues made it clear that Chinese have no respect for International maritime laws. Try to preach anybody but Indians :lol:

The kiiling area will be known once the trail starts.

Marines reach Delhi; no deal with Italy, Salman Khurshid says

NEW DELHI: Two Italian marines, accused of killing two Indian fishermen, are back in India to stand trial.

The Italian marines arrived at the Delhi airport a short while ago.

External affairs minister Salman Khurshid said that there was no deal with Italy to bring back marines.

The government and the opposition clashed on Friday over who gets the credit for Italy sending back its two Marines to India to face trial, a decision welcomed across the political spectrum.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on his part said he was happy that the "integrity and dignity" of the Indian judicial process has been upheld.

Relieved by Italy's decision, Kerala chief minister Oommen Chandy said it clearly established the fact that no country can question the sovereignty of India.

External affairs minister Salman Khurshid credited government's diplomacy for the return of the marines to face trial in the killing of two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast last year.

"I can certainly say we have been in constant contact. I have repeatedly said that you should not write off diplomacy too soon. So at last I can say that diplomacy continues to work when everybody else thinks that everything is lost and please give diplomacy a little more chance to do things that are important for our country," he said. "The MEA was in the forefront."

Khurshid said he found it difficult to concede that the opposition contributed to the resolution of the diplomatic standoff between India and Italy.

"I find it difficult to accept that postures and positions taken by Opposition leaders could have contributed to this," he said. At the same time, he acknowledged that the Supreme Court's position too helped resolve the crisis.

Slamming the government for claiming success of diplomacy for the return of marines, BJP and other opposition parties insisted that it was only due to Supreme Court pressure that the Italians had relented.

"Today is the day of the rule of law in India. Italy is sending the two marines back. It is due to the strictness shown by the Supreme Court that the two marines who used to go back for Christmas and voting in the elections have been called back," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.

"Khurshid is taking credit for this. Mastermind of the Mumbai blasts Dawood Ibrahim is still in Pakistan. Why does he not bring them back? Even the Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed is there. Government should bring them back," he said.

CPM MP from Kerala K N Balagopal said Italy's decision to send back marines was the victory of "the collective effort of the Indian people, Parliament and judiciary".

Finance minister P Chidambaram said, "If the government's diplomacy succeeds and BJP takes credit, I have no problem. But, ultimately it's the government's diplomacy which has succeeded.

(With inputs from PTI)
@RazPaK, yeh padh :azn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Atleast Italy got some sense ...otherwise, we thought they were just a rogue irresponsible banana nation.

Will believe it when I see it.

Marines reach Delhi; no deal with Italy, Salman Khurshid says - The Times of India

Italian marines land in India after assurance they will not face death penalty | NDTV.com

Indian leaders welcome return of Italian marines facing trial in killing of fishermen | Fox News

What next? You won't believe it until you see them directly with your eyes? Must be so hard for you to accept the fact that India is not like certain other countries, and that we can actually impose our will on many other nations. After all that laughing and gloating you did, after saying that this little incident makes up for all the drone strikes in your country, you must be feeling like this now:

egg-face-flickr.jpg

Marines reach Delhi; no deal with Italy, Salman Khurshid says - The Times of India

Italian marines land in India after assurance they will not face death penalty | NDTV.com

Indian leaders welcome return of Italian marines facing trial in killing of fishermen | Fox News

What next? You won't believe it until you see them directly with your eyes? Must be so hard for you to accept the fact that India is not like certain other countries, and that we can actually impose our will on many other nations. After all that laughing and gloating you did, after saying that this little incident makes up for all the drone strikes in your country, you must be feeling like this now:

egg-face-flickr.jpg

hahhaaha that one is hilarious...

From the Italian POV, this seems like political suicide, for which they are for blame.

Appreciate Italy's effort here.

Through back door channels India begged Italy to send marines back guaranteeing their saftey and the right to unfair judicial process in exchange to save face.

Lol.

Through back door channels India begged Italy to send marines back guaranteeing their saftey and the right to unfair judicial process in exchange to save face.

Lol.

What were you doing there when Italians and Indians were discussing the matter? Cleaning windows ? :woot:

Lol.

LOL?

I think you mistaken India as Pakistan and Italy as USA...

Back
Top Bottom