What's new

J&K government allows department stores in urban areas to sell beer

Women and ladies can walk freely in late night without worry get rape or molest. In China, we have world class transport linking many cities which can get u there in much shorter time compares other countries.

Too much personal freedom and right will degrade a society becos it will empower criminal their rights to commit crimes without consequences. Look at US , daily mass shooting. Too much personal freedom means peace living tax paying citizens safety are compromised.
As can they here, but of course one has to be careful.. there are ghetto/crime infested areas, and then there are places where people will hardly care what one is dressed like and are mostly crime free. Most of India is quite conservative though, so its not like the west or anything close but there's plenty of areas where its ok, not frowned upon, much less looked down upon or made to be victims of some horrible anti-woman crime.

And yes, China has done great with infra, no doubt.. I been there and seen for myself...

I don't live in the US but I support them having gun rights, to have less government control is a good thing.. trust your citizenry. Shame at least we here in India don't have an advanced society for the most part. To own even some random revolver or pistol is considered a great status symbol.. mostly owned by very well to do folk who often travel with large amounts of cash or jewellery for their businesses.

All countries have their good and bad.

I'm fine with beer...

But ready-to-drink beverages are not allowed???

That's crazy!!!

Some people take religion, way too hard.

Even a person who doesn't drink ready-to-drink beverages doesn't mean he is a good person.

And a person who drinks it doesn't mean he is a bad person, like for example Coca-Cola.

It's all about your spiritual development, not the outside thing.

Even thou you are praying 1000x a day, if your spiritual development is low, it's low.

No, not gotcha there... independence ke baad se hi, majority ki sensibilities le ke, we have these laws that illegalize it here. Like I said, does not apply universally across states but Hindu heartlands and deep interior me na hi kro to better hai.. kanoon bhi against hai, log bhi mostly against hai.

This is not some human rights problem ki musalmans are being deprived of anything here

I'm fine with beer...

But ready-to-drink beverages are not allowed???

That's crazy!!!

Some people take religion, way too hard.

Even a person who doesn't drink ready-to-drink beverages doesn't mean he is a good person.

And a person who drinks it doesn't mean he is a bad person, like for example Coca-Cola.

It's all about your spiritual development, not the outside thing.

Even thou you are praying 1000x a day, if your spiritual development is low, it's low.

Beer and alcohol in general makes you fat and ugly.

Personally, there is nothing I hate more than drunk people.

They smell like shit. They repeat themselves 1000 times. And they try to touch you.

It’s pure retardation. At least marijuana smokers mind their own business and can form coherent thoughts...

It’s pure retardation. At least marijuana smokers mind their own business and can form coherent thoughts...
there it is again

the chamatkaar, balaatkaar phenomenon.

like 1 sin existing in 2 heavens at the same time.. Hamdullah ! this is even next level from quantum mechanics. "innit" ? :P

Retarded for someone to claim heroine is ISI op in Indian Punjab and IOK.

The drug issue is prevalent in Punjab (both sides) since time immemorial. Maybe alcoholism is more prevalent in Indian Punjab as there is no religious taboo.

As for beef, there can be 2 different connotations. It can be bhays (buffalo) or gai (cow) meat.

Try go India and tell them you are a Hindu but eat beef. Telling others you eat beef in NY or any other places besides India just make u look stupid.
India is a very big place. Really depends on where the “Hindu” goes to say “I eat Beef”.

On topic, I don’t know of any department stores in all my travels across India that sells alcohol with general goods. I’ve only ever seen it abroad. Hope they do this all over.

India is a very big place. Really depends on where the “Hindu” goes to say “I eat Beef”.

On topic, I don’t know of any department stores in all my travels across India that sells alcohol with general goods. I’ve only ever seen it abroad. Hope they do this all over.
eh ?

most of these 24/7 type stores have at the very least a small alcy section, but they stop sale after 10 PM like anywhere else. There are PLENTY of similar stores, from chains big and small.. that have wine sections small and big where one can shop for it right alongside your other groceries like atta, ghee, shampoo, odomos and whathavyou lol

its true the Hindu doesn't really get to say "I eat beef", but some/many? just do.. it'd be beyond foolish to involve oneself in some retard fight about "why do you have beef on your menu?" type thing but

also, one should be aware of the company they're keeping at any given point and their "red lines" or whatever.. I'd never offer Muslim folk a pork dish or even some veggie people some meat, if I knew.

many from virtually all sides still "break all the rules".. diet or otherwise lol :rolleyes:

Beer and alcohol in general makes you fat and ugly.

Personally, there is nothing I hate more than drunk people.

They smell like shit. They repeat themselves 1000 times. And they try to touch you.

That depends on who you are with,
uncivilized people will make anything bad.

There are few combinations as desirable as a AA rating steak, a fine single malt whiskey, and cuban cigar to go with it.

Off course you can have an espresso after the steak, but then you will be missing a lot !

eh ?

most of these 24/7 type stores have at the very least a small alcy section, but they stop sale after 10 PM like anywhere else. There are PLENTY of similar stores, from chains big and small.. that have wine sections small and big where one can shop for it right alongside your other groceries like atta, ghee, shampoo, odomos and whathavyou lol

its true the Hindu doesn't really get to say "I eat beef", but some/many? just do.. it'd be beyond foolish to involve oneself in some retard fight about "why do you have beef on your menu?" type thing but

also, one should be aware of the company they're keeping at any given point and their "red lines" or whatever.. I'd never offer Muslim folk a pork dish or even some veggie people some meat, if I knew.

many from virtually all sides still "break all the rules".. diet or otherwise lol :rolleyes:
24/7? Yeah I’ve never seen a 24/7 sell alcohol. Are they even allowed to? Maybe I just don’t pay enough attention. Idk.

As for dietary preferences, I know of Muslims who drink alcohol like a fish out of water — and “chaste” brahmins who eat beef (buff?) exclusively.

24/7? Yeah I’ve never seen a 24/7 sell alcohol. Are they even allowed to? Maybe I just don’t pay enough attention. Idk.

As for dietary preferences, I know of Muslims who drink alcohol like a fish out of water — and “chaste” brahmins who eat beef (buff?) exclusively.
Bhot hai yaar, a LOT of them sell.. but beer and wine only, maybe the odd breezer type mixed one but not proper whisky/vodka bottles etc

and not just 24/7s .. lotsa new supermarkets do, but again, they abide by the timings.. 10 PM on, no sale in most big cities

as do I, kebab and whisly.. shokeen log hain, tabhi hoti hai best spicy guftagus :sarcastic:

pork, beef, daru, smokes (super haram for most sikhs) .. sab chalta hai

BC party kro :partay: :bounce:

Retarded for someone to claim heroine is ISI op in Indian Punjab and IOK.

The drug issue is prevalent in Punjab (both sides) since time immemorial. Maybe alcoholism is more prevalent in Indian Punjab as there is no religious taboo.

As for beef, there can be 2 different connotations. It can be bhays (buffalo) or gai (cow) meat.
The ops are most likely run by Indian establishment to suppress freedom movements in those areas.

That depends on who you are with,
uncivilized people will make anything bad.

There are few combinations as desirable as a AA rating steak, a fine single malt whiskey, and cuban cigar to go with it.

Off course you can have an espresso after the steak, but then you will be missing a lot !

I live in the US and people being able to hold their liquor is a farce.

View attachment 886347

The Jammu and Kashmir government has allowed major grocery shops and departmental stores in urban parts of the Union Territory to sell beer and other ready-to-drink beverages.

While the move is expected to generate revenue for the government, some residents said the open sale of beer and ready-to-drink beverages should be restricted.

The administrative council under the chairmanship of Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and including Rajeev Rai Bhatnagar, advisor to the Lieutenant Governor, and chief secretary Arun Kumar Mehta, approved a proposal to authorise departmental stores to sell beer and other ready-to-drink beverages in urban areas — in Jammu, Srinagar and other major towns in J&K.

Over eight months ago, the J&K government had approved the establishment of 51 new wine shops, six of them in Kashmir Valley.

According to an official spokesperson, departmental stores located in commercial complexes with a minimum carpet area of 1,200 square feet and a minimum annual turnover of Rs 5 crore in the cities of Jammu and Srinagar and Rs 2 crore in other urban areas will be eligible to apply for beer licences.

Chain stores

A departmental store chain with an annual turnover of more than Rs 10 crore can apply for separate licences for each of its stores, the spokesperson added.

Additionally, departmental stores should have operated for at least 12 months prior to the date of application. However, this condition will not apply in case of a newly opened outlet of a departmental store chain with an annual turnover exceeding Rs 10 crore.

The departmental stores should sell at least six categories of items from among grocery items, frozen foods, confectionery/ bakery items, toiletries, cosmetics, household goods, utensils/ kitchenware, sports items, electrical/ electronic appliances, apparels, and stationery.

The government also allowed the Jammu and Kashmir Tourism Development Corporation to sell beer and ready-to-drink beverages in unserved/ underserved areas in consultation with the district development commissioner concerned.

However, departmental stores functioning at petrol pumps will not be eligible to apply for permits to sell beer.

Beer, according to the J&K excise department, turned out to be the “favourite drink” of the people of Kashmir, with over 5.2 million bottles sold from March 2014 to November 2016 in central Kashmir — Srinagar-Budgam-Ganderbal, while 40,729 bottles of ready-to-drink beverages were sold in this period.

Kashmir, where militant outfits had banned the sale and consumption of liquor in 1994, recorded a surge in the sale and consumption of liquor during the past 10 years.

The government claimed that the sale of beer and other alcoholic drinks can bring in huge revenue to the region. Between March 2014 and November 2016, the J&K government said a total of Rs 17,569 crore (including Rs 7,292.84 crore estimated revenue) had been generated from the sale of liquor, with Jammu contributing a major share.

Sheikh Ashiq, president of the Kashmir Chamber of Commerce and Industry, told Moneycontrol that hardly anyone will sell beer and other ready-to-drink beverages in Kashmir due to religious and cultural aspects.

“Selling beer and other alcoholic stuff is not going to work in a place like Kashmir though it may work in Jammu province. Only a minute population drinks alcoholic stuff and they manage to get it from duly licensed liquor shops. Therefore, people in general would avoid buying it,” said Ashiq.

Limited outlets

Haji Khazir Mohammad Dar, a tourist operator, said the sale of alcoholic items should be limited.

“No doubt Kashmir is a top tourist destination and tourists would want beer and liquor available to them. But instead of making it available in open stores, it should be available in limited outlets. Amid the increasing drug addiction in Kashmir, the sale of alcoholic items can degrade future generations,” said Dar, who has been associated with the tourism sector since 1956.

In 2020, religious and political organisations in the Valley had opposed a move to open liquor vends in Kashmir, prompting the J&K government to clarify that it was not considering any such move.

Chandan Gupta, who runs Monika Supermarket in Gandhi Nagar in Jammu, called the government’s decision a “healthy move.”

“It is a positive decision and I think it will increase our source of income. From a business point of view, sellers will make good sales by selling beer and other alcoholic items. The government can also earn huge revenue by such decisions,” Gupta told Moneycontrol.

Arun Gupta, president of the Jammu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) declined to comment on the matter immediately, saying he needed to first check the government’s directions of allowing the sale of beer in departmental stores in Jammu.

one more step toward normalization of life :cheers:

party !

:alcoholic:🍺🍻🥂🍷🥃🍸

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Imran Khan @Paitoo @Maula Jatt Jaat @prashantazazel @INDIAPOSITIVE @Areesh @doorstar .. tag moar !

Why isn't beer being sold in Gujarat? You don't want any normalization there?

Back
Top Bottom