What's new

Jaguar jets still flying without autopilot: CAG

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Jaguar_Strike_Fighter.jpg

One of the frontline fighters of the Indian Air Force, the Jaguars, are still flying without autopilots, an essential flying aid, the Comptroller and Auditor-General has said.

In a report presented in Parliament on July 28, the CAG said, “The flying aid capability envisaged by the IAF for the Jaguar aircraft in 1997 remains largely unrealised even after 20 years … Meanwhile, the IAF had lost three Jaguar aircraft and one pilot since April 2008 due to pilot disorientation/human error whereas loss of another four Jaguar aircraft was under investigation as of October 2016.”

An autopilot reduces the pilot’s workload, enhances safety of aircraft and cuts aircraft accidents. Jaguars acquired in the 1980s are of older vintage and lack autopilots.

In 1997, the IAF had projected a requirement of 108 autopilots for 108 aircraft but only 35 autopiloere contracted in August 1999 due to “resource crunch” at a cost of ₹37.42 crore which were delivered between 2006 and 2008. A repeat contract for 95 autopilots was concluded only by March 2014.ts w

Sub-optimal function

“Out of 35 autopilots procured earlier, only 18 could be integrated on the Jaguar aircraft as of March 2017. The integrated autopilots were also functioning sub-optimally due to malfunctioning of their vital component i.e. Auto Pilot Electronic Unit (APEU),” the report said.

In addition, 30 autopilots received through the repeat contract are yet to be integrated. Thus, as on October 2016, the IAF had a holding of 117 Jaguars, but only 18 could be upgraded with autopilot capability. Even these autopilots were working sub-optimally due to malfunctioning of their APEUs, the report added.

In addition to autopilots, the IAF is undertaking a major modernisation of the Jaguar fleet, which also carry nuclear weapons, with new avionics and sensors to keep them flying for another two decades. The Jaguars have an underpowered engine. However, efforts to equip them with a more powerful engine have been dragging on for several years.

Source>>

aircraft-control-systems-53-638.jpg

tem4rfr5.png

aircraft-control-systems-48-638.jpg

They should bring their iPad when flying, LOL...
An iPad stand is $25.

If they lose track of where they are, an iPad would be handy!
Oddly enough, The Indian Air Force used handheld GPS devices and affixed them inside the cockpit using tape during Kargil operations.
But iPads I doubt.
There is a ban on using China Origin goods with the Indian Military, IIRC.

Oddly enough, The Indian Air Force used handheld GPS devices and affixed them inside the cockpit using tape during Kargil operations.
But iPads I doubt.
There is a ban on using China Origin goods with the Indian Military, IIRC.

Lets not talk about indisciplined India:

Indian Army: Private companies can now tie up with banned foreign ...
India Eases Defense Blacklist Ban - Asia Sentinel | Asia Sentinel

India is used to licking its own spit.

I was ok with the premise of your conversation until I found Modi on the picture. And lo, I lost it then

To show you that India is India, Modi or no Modi.
The message was clearly intended to those who slam congress only and not Modi on such faults involving defense.

Lets not talk about indisciplined India:

Indian Army: Private companies can now tie up with banned foreign ...
India Eases Defense Blacklist Ban - Asia Sentinel | Asia Sentinel

India is used to licking its own spit.

To show you that India is India, Modi or no Modi.
The message was clearly intended to those who slam congress only and not Modi on such faults involving defense.

Congress is the most failed party when it comes to defence preparedness. They sat with their fat bottoms on files that needed moving from long time. The BJP government is at the least taking an actual interest on defence.

Don't get me started with a before and after comparison here. You will loose.

Congress is the most failed party when it comes to defence preparedness. They sat with their fat bottoms on files that needed moving from long time. The BJP government is at the least taking an actual interest on defence.

Don't get me started with a before and after comparison here. You will loose.

Congress lost.
Case closed.

Now.

What wrong the Modi sarkar does, has to be highlighted, so that they keep on listening to their citizens and amend the situation.

And this process, called a criticism, is alive in my mind and I am focusing upon it like a laser beam.

Jaguar_Strike_Fighter.jpg

One of the frontline fighters of the Indian Air Force, the Jaguars, are still flying without autopilots, an essential flying aid, the Comptroller and Auditor-General has said.

In a report presented in Parliament on July 28, the CAG said, “The flying aid capability envisaged by the IAF for the Jaguar aircraft in 1997 remains largely unrealised even after 20 years … Meanwhile, the IAF had lost three Jaguar aircraft and one pilot since April 2008 due to pilot disorientation/human error whereas loss of another four Jaguar aircraft was under investigation as of October 2016.”

An autopilot reduces the pilot’s workload, enhances safety of aircraft and cuts aircraft accidents. Jaguars acquired in the 1980s are of older vintage and lack autopilots.

In 1997, the IAF had projected a requirement of 108 autopilots for 108 aircraft but only 35 autopiloere contracted in August 1999 due to “resource crunch” at a cost of ₹37.42 crore which were delivered between 2006 and 2008. A repeat contract for 95 autopilots was concluded only by March 2014.ts w

Sub-optimal function

“Out of 35 autopilots procured earlier, only 18 could be integrated on the Jaguar aircraft as of March 2017. The integrated autopilots were also functioning sub-optimally due to malfunctioning of their vital component i.e. Auto Pilot Electronic Unit (APEU),” the report said.

In addition, 30 autopilots received through the repeat contract are yet to be integrated. Thus, as on October 2016, the IAF had a holding of 117 Jaguars, but only 18 could be upgraded with autopilot capability. Even these autopilots were working sub-optimally due to malfunctioning of their APEUs, the report added.

In addition to autopilots, the IAF is undertaking a major modernisation of the Jaguar fleet, which also carry nuclear weapons, with new avionics and sensors to keep them flying for another two decades. The Jaguars have an underpowered engine. However, efforts to equip them with a more powerful engine have been dragging on for several years.

Source>>

aircraft-control-systems-53-638.jpg

View attachment 416658

aircraft-control-systems-48-638.jpg
What's the necessities of autopilot for a war machine,ask can where the hell on earth can fight war in autopilot mode.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom