What's new

Japan suffers lowest number of births on record as population shrinks

How about taking highly qualified immigrants rather than taking in junks of peoole indiscriminately which will help Japan to avoid the problems that the Europe is facing right now? Or students who are pursuing their studies in limited subject areas defined by tge state according to its needs?

I for one would love to live in Japan.

I'd actually like to see more highly qualified South Asians immigrating to Japan. Tho we don't have millions of South Asians, we've a growing and healthy amount ! There are 22,000 Indians in Japan, about 11,000 Pakistanis in Japan, 11,000 Bangladeshis in Japan, 11,000 Iranians in Japan, over 8,000 Burmese in Japan, there are 36,000 Nepalis in Japan. Most of these people are on resident visas, or many have become permanent residents, or naturalized citizens. Naturally, any children in mixed marriages are automatically Japanese citizens because Japan has a policy of Jus Sanguis in regards to citizenship.

South Asians in Japan, or, Japanese of South Asian descent --- are actually very hard working, educated, and model citizens. :)

Japanese of South Asian descent also believe in a strong family unit, which means a great environment for children to be raised.

In ageing Japanese village, dolls take place of dwindling population

Tsukimi Ayano’s dolls outnumber living residents in Nagoro as demographic shift threatens many communities with extinction

Children sit behind their desks in a classroom, gazes fixed on their teacher; a group of elderly people chat while they wait for the bus; on the riverbank, a teenage boy in a baseball cap leans against a pile of chopped wood.

Viewed from a distance they are innocent snapshots of life in rural Japan. But on closer inspection, the residents of this remote, mountainous village reveal a darker truth. They are inanimate reminders of a once-thriving community that, like thousands of others in Japan, is staring down the abyss of extinction.

The dolls’ creator, Tsukimi Ayano, says they began life as scarecrows for a vegetable field that she tried and failed to get started after she moved back to Nagoro, on the south-western island of Shikoku, after decades living in the sprawling metropolis of Osaka.

Before long, Ayano was using the life-size dolls to replace neighbours who had died or moved away. Others, like the obedient children in the classroom, are modelled on members of her extended family.

At 65, Ayano is considered young by Nagoro standards; her 85-year-old father is the oldest resident. The 160 or so dolls dotted around the village dwarf the human population, which has fallen from about 300 when she was a child to just 35 today. There are another 200 or so dolls in nearby villages that, like Nagoro, have seen their populations plunge in recent decades.

“They bring back memories, particularly those based on people who have died,” Ayano said of the dolls, whose forms fill the spaces vacated by their human counterparts – checking produce at a vegetable stall, resting against a tree or waiting at the bus stop to travel to the nearest big town, 90 minutes away.

She recalled the old lady who used to come round for tea, and the old man who liked to drink sake and tell stories. “I look at them and think about their personalities,” she told the Guardian. “Some are still alive but no longer live here, so I just hope that they’re doing well.”

Nagoro is a microcosm of a seemingly irreversible shift that threatens to change the very character of Japan in the decades to come. The country’s skewed demographics were highlighted again recently in data showing that the number of newborn babies sank to a record low last year.

At 1.001 million births, the figure was the fourth record low in as many years, the health ministry said. The number of deaths in 2014 totalled 1.269 million, the fifth straight annual rise.

Japan is flipping the traditional pyramid-shaped population model on its head with fewer and later marriages marked by a low birthrate, and a soaring elderly population sustained in their twilight years by a low-fat traditional diet and universal health insurance.

Japan’s population, now around 128 million, is expected to dip below 100 million in 2046, according to the National Institute of Population and Social Security Research in Tokyo, and below 45 million in 2105. By 2060, four in 10 Japanese will be aged over 65.

The government estimates that the declining birthrate and rapid ageing have left more than 10,000 villages across Japan battling depopulation. Those that fail to attract new residents may one day resemble Nagoro, where another foundation of civic life, the primary school, closed two years ago.

A villager has died every one of the 13 years since Ayano returned to look after her father, she says. Her mother, whose doll sits in her home, and whom she greets every morning, died decades ago aged 56.

“As much as I would like the village to come back to life, I accept that it’s not going to happen,” Ayano said. “In 10 or 20 years’ time, there will be no one left.

“It’s very sad, but times are changing and we have to accept that this is the way things are going to be.”

In ageing Japanese village, dolls take place of dwindling population | World news | The Guardian

It seems that Japan is truly slowly dying out. Makes me sad.

Japan does not provide enough maternal benefits to mothers. There is no job security when mother return to work after one year maternity leave. Women are interested in their career but are expected to stay home after birth of their child.

It is very expensive to live there - in a rather ridiculous kind of way.
Tokyo and other major cities are very expensive, but I hear that sub urban Japan is actually cheaper than the West.

bro, are you otaku? LoL.. actually japanese pop culture is famous in the world. In indonesia anime, manga and idol is become daily entertainment for teenage. even one of the biggest idol group in japan make sister group in Jakarta. LoL..:cheesy::victory::taz:
Lol not really, I just think very highly of Japan. I actually dislike J pop generally, but K pop I detest...
I do like anime although it can be weird as hell sometimes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom