What's new

Japan suffers lowest number of births on record as population shrinks

Around 1 million newborn births per annum is reasonable. It should be increased to at least 1.5 million - 2.0 million. This is possible with the right public planning , and critical to this is the reduction in taxes. Perhaps also increasing immigration rates.

I agree with you @Kyoto . Perhaps learning from the policies of Taiwan, Singapore is reasonable. I'm all for immigration to Japan, provided that these immigrants would integrate into Japanese Society and actively want to become Japanese Nationals. :)
The best wat for integration to occur is mandatory language and cultural classes. Speaking as an immigrant, the biggest problem I have seen of my fellow immigrants is that many don't take their new life seriously, and expect themselves to live in their own ethnic community all their lives, this is unfortunately true especially for Sikh immigrants.

Language classes, and cultural sensitivity classes would benefit immigrants greatly. Though I think I should clarify when I say cultural sensitivity classes. It shouldn't be as if the Japanese culture is being forced on the new arrivals, rather to teach them the history and cultural norms so they can better fit in, and know how to balance their own personal culture with that of the locals.

Also, if true, the ridiculous requirement of a single nationality should be done away with. Immigrants have an easier time integrating when they know that if things start getting rough, they always have the option of going back to their country of origin; tldr: It causes less social and personal issues from arising.

Japan is on earth quake fault line , either that or future Sea level rising will change the topo graphy to make it a tiny island size of Hawaii

Low population would work well for future projections for the sea level based changes in country borders

Unless of course Japan takes over the world which it intends to do

My thoughts exactly. Its quite sad!
If it were India, I would have been happy 'cause these are the problems of an incredibly advanced society.....which Japan will eventually overcome, just like people elsewhere try to overcome the problems associated with their relatively backward societies..

This problem is not exclusive to Japan. Many developed nations has similar population problems. Even some of the developing nations started to have aging population. The issue is, starting from early 20th century to mid 20th century there was a population boom in the world. The developed nations back then had higher population and baby survival rates then the underdeveloped nations. However today population of developed countries has reached to an equillibrum. The economic system also does not allow people to have more babies, simply because it's too expensive to raise one. Besides people became more individualist and most of their time is occupied so they can't spare the time needed to raise a baby. The time issue is not just about individualism, we also work hard to maintain our lifestyle if we are working in a profession.

If the job burden of people is decreased (like 6 hours of work instead of 8-9 hours or 3 day week holidays instead of two), then I guess people might make more babies.

Japanese men are not "aggressive" compared to western men when in regards to courting women. That's definitely one thing I realized that differentiates us from foreign men.

I mean, tho we may not be externally aggressive, sex drive is there, lol. But yea, I definitely agree that society needs to enact some policies to encourage breeding rates. Lowering taxes could start...it off.

Japanese men prefer obedient women, in general . It's getting harder to see that with women in the city , who are more "liberated". Country girls still are traditional, but they're hard to find nowadays.

Anime/Video game culture is partly to blame for the feminization of Japan.

Anime/Video game culture is partly to blame for the feminization of Japan.

I agree. I can't stand those types tho, the style some of them wear ... dear God.

There is some speculation that Japanese pop-culture, "herbivore men" and women preferring men with high salaries as the reasons for the low-birth rate.

Japanese Women Won't Marry Low-Income Earners, Reveals Poll - japanCRUSH
BBC News - The Japanese men who prefer virtual girlfriends to sex
Japanese Herbivores

Very shameful that some have gone for the 'virtual' route....

Shameful to even read that article. I'm just...disgusted.

Japan has a lot of hard choices ahead. Allow increased immigration? As an ultra-homogenous society, I don't see the Japanese taking to immigration as well as a nation like Canada. For instance, many 2nd and 3rd generation ethnic Koreans that were born and raised in Japan still don't have Japanese citizenship. And if Japan were to allow enough immigrants to reverse its population decline how does Japan retain its national character?

Japan suffers lowest number of births on record as population shrinks | World news | theguardian.com

Japan suffers lowest number of births on record as population shrinks
Number of newborn babies last year fell to 1.001 million against 1.269m registered deaths in its population

Thursday 1 January 2015 02.30 EST

Japan’s estimated number of newborn babies last year fell to 1.001 million, the lowest figure on record, further contributing to the ageing and shrinking of the country’s population, official data showed Thursday.

The number marked an all-time low for the fourth straight year, the health, labour and welfare ministry said, while the estimated number of people who died in 2014 totalled 1.269 million, rising for the fifth straight year.

The number of newborn babies could fall below 1 million in revised data that will be released later because of an anticipated margin of error of 1000, local reports said.

A further drop in the number of children is inevitable as “the number of reproductive-age women is on the decline,” an official at the ministry said, Kyodo News reported.

Japan’s ageing population is a headache for policymakers who are faced with trying to ensure an ever-dwindling pool of workers can pay for the growing number of pensioners.

Government data released in April showed Japan’s population shrank for the third year running, with the elderly making up a quarter of the total for the first time.

The proportion of people aged 65 or over is forecast to reach nearly 40% of the population in 2060, the government has warned.
Japan is in some serious trouble when it comes to birth rate, if they will not increase than there are only dark days ahead.

I agree. I can't stand those types tho, the style some of them wear ... dear God.

Very shameful that some have gone for the 'virtual' route....

Shameful to even read that article. I'm just...disgusted.

I bet it sends shivers down to your spine if you read the news of Japanese men marrying a virtual girlfriend or bringing them to their real wedding with the approval of their brides. :lol:

I bet it sends shivers down to your spine if you read the news of Japanese men marrying a virtual girlfriend or bringing them to their real wedding with the approval of their brides. :lol:

That's just insane...yea. Shameful, just shameful.

Is looking for a girl friend or maintaining a relationship in Japan difficult? Surely guys there would want to start a family, have kids. I can't imagine there are better things in life than to have a beautiful family, even for workaholics or what not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom