What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

1625937317919.png

Dual racks have more disadvantages than advantages such as create a extra drag hence reduce endurance ànd range

I've heard this here too many times and frankly speaking, it makes no sense. What is it about a dual rack that increases the drag by that much? How is it this significantly more drag inducing than two dedicated stations? Than an Mk-84? Than a CFT? Than the other dual rack already being used for A2G munitions?

I've heard this here too many times and frankly speaking, it makes no sense. What is it about a dual rack that increases the drag by that much? How is it this significantly more drag inducing than two dedicated stations? Than an Mk-84? Than a CFT? Than the other dual rack already being used for A2G munitions?
It all depends on the interactions between the additional HP loads and more to do with release parameter restrictions than drag.
when the weapon leaves a rail it(due to aerodynamic forces around it) behaves a certain way that may cause it to come into an unsafe contact with the carrier aircraft in certain failure ir extreme conditions. All weapons are tested for their release behavior and then their limits for release tested accordingly as well.

While it is possible that the JF-17 is cleared for dual racks, it may have restrictions on its use and maneuvering limits compared to the single rack which may make it not suitable for most mission profiles.

It all depends on the interactions between the additional HP loads and more to do with release parameter restrictions than drag.
when the weapon leaves a rail it(due to aerodynamic forces around it) behaves a certain way that may cause it to come into an unsafe contact with the carrier aircraft in certain failure ir extreme conditions. All weapons are tested for their release behavior and then their limits for release tested accordingly as well.

While it is possible that the JF-17 is cleared for dual racks, it may have restrictions on its use and maneuvering limits compared to the single rack which may make it not suitable for most mission profiles.

That makes much better sense than weight or drag.

Last edited:

I'm also of the opinion we don't see it is due to the reduction of wing life like bending, etc. will this play a factor as well?

(I'm more of a Land Force person and knowledgably in this that air force equipment, etc).

I'm also of the opinion we don't see it is due to the reduction of wing life like bending, etc. will this play a factor as well?

(I'm more of a Land Force person and knowledgably in this that air force equipment, etc).
Considering the first crash of the Thunder was due to exceeding of structural limits - it would be a factor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom