What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

India didnt go for it as Tejas MK-2, with design frozen, has more or less equivalent parameters in comparison to gripen. Doesnt make sense to import (even with TOT as you suggest) if a ground up, IDDM plane is available in a short timeframe.

Rather overstating the capabilities of JF 17. It is, by design supposed to be a "just good enough" plane that is cheap enough to be operated by countries like pakistan. As such, it suffers from design flaws that are cost saving measures but reduce the capabilities by a lot. Does not compare to any true 4th/4.5 gen fighter. Its missiles are less capable (Except for PL 15, only available in block 3 and only if chinese are not overstating capabilities as they are wont to do - And still outclassed by a mile by the likes of Meteor); its AshM are slower, with lower range; No in flight refuelling; and has been plagued by poor availability and reliability.

An okay fighter, if all you want is something that can fly, has a radar, and can shoot - All while fitting a poor countries budget. But it is laughable to claim that it has "superior capabilities" to F16s or Gripens or even Tejas. Better than 3rd gen, but inferior to anything true 4.5th gen.

Coming to production, the americans managed to outproduce the germans, yes, and that was the reason they won as you correctly claimed. However, keeping in mind that PAC has little to no capability of manufacturing the plane on its own, the argument is moot. It is dependant on china for basically every major technologically complex part of the plane, and several non complex parts are CKD kits that they simply assemble.
Bhai kon sa sasta Nasha kr k ate ho..

Air Commodore Rashid Habib, JF-17 deputy chief project director, told the audience at the IDEAS 18 Air Power Conference in Karachi, that the JF-17 had flown 40,000 operational hours.

So PAF had two JF-17 crashes over 40,000 flying hours.

Good old Chogy who flew for the 58th Mighty Gorillas put it aptly - tomorrows airmen will do whatever they can to avoid the merge or stick to slash and dash. The turning fight is the last place they want to be and it makes no sense to focus USAF efforts(even though they invest into it) for it. The IDFAF focused on the Python 5 specifically for that and so was the AIM-9x and now pretty much everyone has HOBS heaters.

The PAF could have bought the 9X but chose to spend money on the AMRAAMs because they realized that is where the fight is.

Now imagine being an airforce that spent additional money on a TVC behemoth that can be a maintenance queen and needs two people to operate it during the high of your airline boom(which takes away pilots) and then bought 270 of them only to find out your enemy can(and did) pick you off with AMRAAMs. Now that the PAF has(had) funds, it can focus on equipping its fleet with HOBs heaters like the PL-10 and simply catch up easily.
Although in some ways the best WVR missile in the subcontinent is the ASRAAM on the Jaguars followed closely by the token Python 5s on the Tejas
Are PL-10s or other missiles in the class equipped with AI to better anticipate/defeat counter measures/ maneuvers ??

Good old Chogy who flew for the 58th Mighty Gorillas put it aptly - tomorrows airmen will do whatever they can to avoid the merge or stick to slash and dash. The turning fight is the last place they want to be and it makes no sense to focus USAF efforts(even though they invest into it) for it. The IDFAF focused on the Python 5 specifically for that and so was the AIM-9x and now pretty much everyone has HOBS heaters.

The PAF could have bought the 9X but chose to spend money on the AMRAAMs because they realized that is where the fight is.

Now imagine being an airforce that spent additional money on a TVC behemoth that can be a maintenance queen and needs two people to operate it during the high of your airline boom(which takes away pilots) and then bought 270 of them only to find out your enemy can(and did) pick you off with AMRAAMs. Now that the PAF has(had) funds, it can focus on equipping its fleet with HOBs heaters like the PL-10 and simply catch up easily.
Although in some ways the best WVR missile in the subcontinent is the ASRAAM on the Jaguars followed closely by the token Python 5s on the Tejas
Hi,

Thank you for the informative post---. I believe it would clear up some cobwebs about the merge & tail chase.

Any n all defence equipment has a shelf life n in today's world with advancement in tech its short.Going by recent wars, the the tall claims of the manufacturers have turned out to be just that ie " tall" n when push comes to shove they for some reason seem to be wanting.
First they develop an offensive weapon n than after some time a defensive weapon to counter the offensive weapon is developed. N this cycle has been going on for a long as man has held a weapon.
At the end of it all, the humans are back to square one be it a bit more advanced n a lot more lethal every time.

So in this case inspite of all the advancements in offensive n defensive weapons n all the tall claims about the end of an era for this n that....humans always find a way to blunt it all.

So at the end of the day the merge will take place n it will all end with guns...

Very informative Post.

So PAF had two JF-17 crashes over 40,000 flying hours.
40000 hours and that's a June 2019 article, currently flying hours are probably around 50K+ with two crashes and if I am not wrong one is about attempting going beyond specified limits. Someone knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong.

40000 hours and that's a June 2019 article, currently flying hours are probably around 50K+ with two crashes and if I am not wrong one is about attempting going beyond specified limits. Someone knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong.
Flying hours are around 150,000 hours.

@Windjammer

There are a total of 4 Jf17 crashes. The first crash was indeed an experiment gone wrong.

Back
Top Bottom