What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 7]

You forgot Argentina...

Yes Argentina as well they already announced a budget for 700 Million towards the plane

I wish we had a official count for International order for Confirmed orders , Interest or potential extended order , to figure out how many JF17 would be exported out

How would the balance be maintained to keep adding to Pakistan's Airforce's need for JF17 Thunder as well

We have to expand the manufacturing factory no doubt

*Ahem* may I suggest that transport aircraft are better suited to carry and deploy HD-1 like missiles?

Never forget the dual use of transports when making your war plans.

That should be written on a billboard on the way to Masroor.

Jf-17 good bird. But we needed a medium weight multirole fighter which would have greatly increased the survivability of air assets and ground.

But what can we do missed opportunities never arise again.

Also, am not very well-read on the Air domain. I like to stick to the sentry posts and naval planks. So go easy on me.

*Ahem* may I suggest that transport aircraft are better suited to carry and deploy HD-1 like missiles?

Never forget the dual use of transports when making your war plans.

That should be written on a billboard on the way to Masroor.
Requires engineers qualified to understand those aircraft structures and make those modifications. Throwing something out the back is one thing and modifying the pylon with something is another.

However, ALBM and ALCM from C-130s has been investigated back in the 90’s and was found to be too complex and not worth the risk considering the lack and value of those assets.

Existing/New Customers
  • Pakistan Airforce (On Going Customer)
  • Myanmar (Initial Order)
  • Nigeria (Initial Order)
  • Nigeria (Follow Up Order)
  • Argentina (Interest)
  • Iraqi (Interest)
  • Azerbaijan (Interest)
  • Indonesia (Interest)
  • Malaysia (Interest)
  • Zambia (Interest)

Last edited:
Requires engineers qualified to understand those aircraft structures and make those modifications. Throwing something out the back is one thing and modifying the pylon with something is another.

However, ALBM and ALCM from C-130s has been investigated back in the 90’s and was found to be too complex and not worth the risk considering the lack and value of those assets.

Sounds like an investment is needed. I personally feel the ROI is well worth it.

Meet Rapid Dragon

Sounds like an investment is needed. I personally feel the ROI is well worth it.
Without knowing the investment I don’t think that can be determined yet. More importantly, a total of 14 active C-130s means that they will have to be pulled from airlift duties to undertake these tasks and makes them an even more HVAA target for Indians.

On the other hand, a pallet onboard with paratroops would mean they can soften their own landing zone without needing CAS assets.
However, considering all the other places investment is lacking along with knowledge base I would never put this high on the priority list unless more C-130s were available.

Pakistanis tend to either look at easy tasks where they lose motivation due to being bored&lazy, or they pick bigger projects beyond their scope(AZM) where the challenge overwhelms them and they give up. It has to be the sweet spot of edge of capability so it’s right near learning skill sets.

Block-III JF is exactly that. Then it’s onto tech that goes into AZM but not AZM.

Or - to ensure high probability of the kill - an aircraft loses a lot of energy in trying to shake off an AAM aimed at it with aggressive manoveurs - and it is therefore very vulnerable to the 2nd missile due to lower energy, meaning chances of it evading the 2nd missile decrease massively.

Think of it as a double tap - just to be sure the plane has gone down.
And what if JF17 is attacked first?
Now it has to shake off the incoming missile with extra mass which would the performance as you can imagine. Your aircraft would be toast.

Without knowing the investment I don’t think that can be determined yet. More importantly, a total of 14 active C-130s means that they will have to be pulled from airlift duties to undertake these tasks and makes them an even more HVAA target for Indians.

On the other hand, a pallet onboard with paratroops would mean they can soften their own landing zone without needing CAS assets.
However, considering all the other places investment is lacking along with knowledge base I would never put this high on the priority list unless more C-130s were available.

Pakistanis tend to either look at easy tasks where they lose motivation due to being bored&lazy, or they pick bigger projects beyond their scope(AZM) where the challenge overwhelms them and they give up. It has to be the sweet spot of edge of capability so it’s right near learning skill sets.

Block-III JF is exactly that. Then it’s onto tech that goes into AZM but not AZM.

That’s why they should work on Drones. Secure datalinks, VLO shaping, intakes, small turbojet and turbofan engines. There is a lot that can be done with drones that can help domestic industry climb its way up the value added chain.
And what if JF17 is attacked first?
Now it has to shake off the incoming missile with extra mass which would the performance as you can imagine. Your aircraft would be toast.

The JF-17 should use lightweight decoy drones when outnumbered to even the odds. Something like a domestically produced Mald-J equivalent would be great for the PAF. If each four ship formation carried 4 decoys amongst themselves, they could employ more aggressive tactics to lure adversaries into exposing themselves in such a way the JF-17s could achieve tactical advantages, enough for a higher probability kill shot.

perhaps a development of these Chinese target drones, especially if the weight can be kept to that of the MALD-J, a JF-17 could carry up to 4 across those twin racks. These drones look to have the potential to be manuerable enough to convincingly simulate a fighter, with the right Engine and AI. It is meant to be sacrificed to protect the manned fighter if necessary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom