What's new

Karachi: Zulfiqar Mirza's statement triggers another round of violence

Some people (primarily non-Karachiites) that have grievances against the MQM say it is like Shiv Sena, that Altaf Hussain is like Bal Thackerey in India when Thackaray said Mumbai is for Marathis first, & then Indians (although Altaf Hussain has never said the same for Karachi & Mohajirs). It's just the perception some people have, who think Altaf Hussain has adopted the same policies as Bal Thackerey.

Yes Shiv Sena had problems with South Indians in the 60's and 70's and with north Indians now. But never did rioting get out of hand. There is no gun culture in bombay( other than gangs ).

The problem with Karachi is with the administration- It allowed the guns to come in and flourish. ' You have a gun, so I also must have one ' . Now even if Army comes and cleans everything, how is it going to get rid of guns? On what laws will they be punished.

Prevention is better than cure..So the Karachi Admins should be punished.

Yes Shiv Sena had problems with South Indians in the 60's and 70's and with north Indians now. But never did rioting get out of hand. There is no gun culture in bombay( other than gangs ).

The problem with Karachi is with the administration- It allowed the guns to come in and flourish. ' You have a gun, so I also must have one ' . Now even if Army comes and cleans everything, how is it going to get rid of guns? On what laws will they be punished.

True. Karachi is based on both guns & gangs though. The poor Balochs in poor, impoverished parts of Karachi like Lyari get into gangs. Besides guns, there is an issue of gangs as well, as well as land mafia, & a bit of a drug culture that's developed with the influx of illegal Afghan refugees.

MQM already brought the deweaponization bill on the table, unfortunately it was rejected by the PPP & ANP at the time. I'm sure this is not that hard of an issue to solve if people can get over their insecurities for one another, & learn to work together for the betterment of the city. Unlike the complex situation of the WOT, this is actually quite a simple problem to resolve, if the will is there to do so.

True. Karachi is based on both guns & gangs though. The poor Balochs in poor, impoverished parts of Karachi like Lyari get into gangs. Besides guns, there is an issue of gangs as well, as well as land mafia, & a bit of a drug culture that's developed with the influx of illegal Afghan refugees.

It seems Afghan refugees or migrants have done great damage to Karachi..But you cannot stop someone travelling and settling down in Karachi for their livelihood. Yet all political parties use them as vote bank and add them as Activists. Maybe the poor people doesnt have a choice due to blackmailing. I bet Lots and Lots of people dont have any official paper or anything, so they fall for political backmailing.

I am not a Mohajir, but a Pakistani (even Urdu speaking 'comes later'. Always a Pakistani first), & a proud one at that. I am giving you the historical context of the situation, right after 1947, when the whole situation in, & the wounds between Pakistan & India (& within their respective countries) were rife, & there were a lot of ethnic tensions between groups. I think you completely misunderstood me.

No Urdu speaker in Pakistan calls him or herself a Mohajir today. We are proud Pakistanis, & happy to be a part of Pakistan & live peacefully with our Pakistani brothers from all ethnic backgrounds. Hell, even the Mohajir Qaumi Movement became Muttahida Qaumi Movement, so what do you think? Despite me being an 'Urdu speaker', I was born & raised in Punjab, & I am a fluent Punjabi speaker. There are many Urdu speakers in Sindh that speak fluent Sindhi as well. Shahid Afridi, a proud Pakhtun & Karachiite is my biggest sporting hero today. Even he's spoken against the gun culture of certain Pakhtuns in the FATA.

As a matter of fact, I am a Muslim first, then a Pakistani, then a Punjabi. But even I speak urdu, and am proud of it. What wrong in being Urdu-speaker, i dont understand why people claim that being Urdu Speakers, they are hated? I talk in urdu in every part of Lahore with everyone from Shop keepers to policemen. No one seems to complain. its just a fake world people are made to live in.

And now what more? I am against the fights (Some people claim that I support ANP). Peace and mutual discussions can help. But if both of them want to fight and act terrorists, all fighters must be dead by killing each other, and finally peace. No one should be able to play with peace.

It seems Afghan refugees or migrants have done great damage to Karachi..But you cannot stop someone travelling and settling down in Karachi for their livelihood. Yet all political parties use them as vote bank and add them as Activists. Maybe the poor people doesnt have a choice due to blackmailing. I bet Lots and Lots of people dont have any official paper or anything, so they fall for political backmailing.

Karachi is quite a developed city though, & even with all this violence, most of the city is unaffected by it. Karachi is a huge city though, it has more than 20 million living in it. Just the city of Karachi has the same population as the whole of Sri Lanka.

New York City went through a longggg time of gang violence & gun problems as well, but it got cleaned up now. I have no doubt that this is a temporary stage for Karachi as well, because besides this ethnic violence, Karachi has progressed significantly in every single way in the last 15 years.

As a matter of fact, I am a Muslim first, then a Pakistani, then a Punjabi. But even I speak urdu, and am proud of it. What wrong in being Urdu-speaker, i dont understand why people claim that being Urdu Speakers, they are hated? I talk in urdu in every part of Lahore with everyone from Shop keepers to policemen. No one seems to complain. its just a fake world people are made to live in.

And now what more? I am against the fights (Some people claim that I support ANP). Peace and mutual discussions can help. But if both of them want to fight and act terrorists, all fighters must be dead by killing each other, and finally peace. No one should be able to play with peace.

No one says Urdu speakers are hated today, but they were disliked/hated right after 1947 when the wounds between India & Pakistan (& even within each respective country) were fresh. There was a lot of ethnic tension at that stage, & for the most part, most Pakistanis have gotten over that. There is nothing wrong with being an Urdu speaker, in fact, I am proud of having a language as beautiful & eloquent as Urdu as my identity, but I am always Pakistani first. My Pakistani identity always comes before my ethnic group, which is Urdu speaking, it doesn't mean I don't like my Urdu speaking identity or 'afraid of showing it to others'. It's just that being Pakistani is extremely important to me.

Dur fittay mooooo.... here is the first post of the first thread you referred.

for 2nd one, search similar content for ANP, PPP as well.

Who told you to read the first post? Go through all the contents. and Behave yourself, learn how to discuss issues. What is fitay mooo?

Please stop sharing your wet dreams, and keep living with them. Take the example of Sarfraz Shah killing. There was a camera therefore everybody is calling him innocent and rangers brutal.

MQM has been portrayed as terrorists when there was Just on bloody PTV. so you will say what you have been shown. and Calling ANP non-violent............oooooh my god. where are you from? how was weather at Mars??

Buddy, ANP and Pakhtuns are two different things, in ANP everyone is Pakhtoon / afghani, but in Pukhtoons not all are ANPs activists.

The Nawaz sharif tried to vanish MQM now ANP is trying the same. The Nawaz Sharif's attempt's result is in front of you, you will see the ANP's as well.

So you still don't believe the innocence of Sarfaraz despite the video proof. Now I understand your psyche. You are blood thirsty person obviously you will support MQM due to its fascist and bloody regime in Karachi.

MQM is still termed as terrorist by media when its independent and too many channels are there who claims to be factual. :yahoo:

you should change your self , we are Pakistanis first than the rest of it , remember you carry a pakistani passport there is no muslim passport

If we have being Muslim as our primary identity, why are our fellow Al-Qaeda & Taliban Muslim 'brothers' so hell-bent on killing us & fellow innocent Pakistani citizens (Muslims & non-Muslims)? If we are Muslims first, then why are our Muslim Afghan 'brothers' stabbing us in the back all the time?

you should change your self , we are Pakistanis first than the rest of it , remember you carry a pakistani passport there is no muslim passport

Sorry. Everyone has their own believes. I would consider myself as a Muslim then a Pakistani. But it wouldn't actually make a difference. And the passport says 'ISLAMIC republic of Pakistan' hence its all safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom