What's new

LCA Tejas Falls Short of Earlier Expectations

I don't know what is HF but if it is same as TEJA aka LCA than i believe the positive side of this venture remain..... India learned about what went wrong and perhaps will never repeat the mistake.

I hope the members and insiders can point out what lesson was learned from failure of TEJA-LCA.

P.S.: when i say 'failure' it includes, over shooting in budget and time schedule in addition to failing in meeting the design parameters.

Well on the budjet you have to consider the infrastructure cost. ie. creating labs procuring instruments etc. since it was the first attemps inital infra cost will be always more. But those are assets. on the next project like AMCA cost wil be less

Well on the budjet you have to consider the infrastructure cost. ie. creating labs procuring instruments etc. since it was the first attemps inital infra cost will be always more. But those are assets. on the next project like AMCA cost wil be less

If you think shortage of finance triggered the LCA failure! than i say you failed to identify the real cause and if the authorities also believe same as you do.... than next attempt will have no different results.

If you think shortage of finance triggered the LCA failure! than i say you failed to identify the real cause and if the authorities also believe same as you do.... than next attempt will have no different results.

Lack of funds was definitely one of the big reasons for delays...Remember we were on the verge of bankruptcy...On top of that sanctions after nuke test played there part....Last but not the least communication gap b/w producers and consumers of the air-craft also caused lot of delays....Rest assured lessons have been learnt and will be applied in next program

"Falls short of expectation." What a polite way to put it. I have long said that they should wait until the LCA is in full production. So far I have not seen any video in which the LCA pulls a high G move, vertical climb, cobra manuever, or other 3rd gen fighter trademark moves. Maybe it is because of the engine, but it can also be issues with the frame integrity, material durability, etc.

No probs.Even LCA is not much a success, we have learned lots of experiance and the 2nd phase is AMCA.

Being devil's advocate, if AMCA programme went wrong again, we have the money to invest more and co partner it with russia, france or even US..!!

learning is a very good thing and that seems to be the backbone of all arguments coming from Indian members regarding the LCA..but i strongly urge you guys to learn the correct spellings for "experiance" .. we do have an efficient plug-in here at defence.pk that highlights the spelling error..I just thought with all the talk of learning and "experiance" you guys might want to at-least get the spellings right..and your not the first indian I've seen here talking about his experiance.

To second bolded part of your argument, as dumb as you may sound i think you pretty sum up the strategy of all the organizations these projects are under.

"Falls short of expectation." What a polite way to put it. I have long said that they should wait until the LCA is in full production. So far I have not seen any video in which the LCA pulls a high G move, vertical climb, cobra manuever, or other 3rd gen fighter trademark moves. Maybe it is because of the engine, but it can also be issues with the frame integrity, material durability, etc.

Here are some.

Videos of Tejas are mostly test runs.. Cant find much other then that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering that the LCA program was about $1.5 bn and rich countries like France spent €39.6 billion just on developing the Rafale that really puts things into perspective.

Considering that the LCA program was about $1.5 bn and rich countries like France spent €39.6 billion just on developing the Rafale that really puts things into perspective.

seems u dont understand indian style...... this is just da beginning....infact in india all projects face price rise and even here we will see in da end, it will become 20+ bn .....2bn figure maybe is just for the start .....

seems u dont understand indian style...... this is just da beginning....infact in india all projects face price rise and even here we will see in da end, it will become 20+ bn .....2bn figure maybe is just for the start .....

Thats why in future private defence companies like TATA should be more involved because they are experts in cost management of big projects like this.

As expected our Pakistani friends are beaming with joy, but then again it seems short sightedness is a decidedly Pakistani trait.

Try thinking about it this way,

-We're going to induct something like 200+ LCA's, even if the initial squadrons aren't upto standard, chances are the one's inducted in the future will be.

-The Tejas is a hell of a lot better than the 3rd generation fighters we hope to replace with it.

-Its only 2010, another 5-7 years you'll have a rival that can mass produce 4th gen fighters, carriers, subs, attack choppers, an array of missiles, tanks (either T90 or our own) etc etc in house. No one is more upset about the all the delays than Indians themselves, but what you have to realize is that India literally has its hands in everything and that my friends spells something a lot more ominous for our detractors.

Although I guess if I looked at it that way, I'd thank all such stories while I still could. :D

I think we can apply below cartoon for LCA.

Hypocrite1.jpg

Dear Mr. Spitfighter, I kindly please request that you do not make such blanket statements about Pakistanis gloating. I completely understand the complexity of this project and am personally not gloating. I personally think India has done a fine job developing these technologies inhouse. In the long run they will pay off in terms of cost saving, and more importantly in independence. Take care.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I would not call the LCA a failure. It might not be up to the standards right now, but it will be. I think India has done a great job developing a lot of critical technologies in house, and should be proud of this achievement. Yes, it might be underpowered, and miss some specs, but V2 should rectify this. The PAF was lucky in the sense, it simply got China to develop the JF-17 for it. The F414 engine is a powerful engine and will go a long way in increasing the thurst-to-weight ratio of the LCA.

These technologies are very advanced and take time to develop. Look at how delayed the A380 and Dreamliner are, and these are being developed by aerospace giants Airbus and Boeing respectively. Take care.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, also please recall the JF-17 went through a thorough redesign after the initial prototype flew. It had its wings, tail, front fuselage, and inlets redesigned. These things happen, and one simply cannot stop trying, but rather keep going and learn fromt the past. Look at all the X-wing programs in the 60's the USA had, testing new technologies, a lot of them failed, but the USA learned from them. Take care.

Last edited:
learning is a very good thing and that seems to be the backbone of all arguments coming from Indian members regarding the LCA..but i strongly urge you guys to learn the correct spellings for "experiance" .. we do have an efficient plug-in here at defence.pk that highlights the spelling error..I just thought with all the talk of learning and "experiance" you guys might want to at-least get the spellings right..and your not the first indian I've seen here talking about his experiance.

To second bolded part of your argument, as dumb as you may sound i think you pretty sum up the strategy of all the organizations these projects are under.

you possibly meant "you are" or "you're" ..... spelling mistake buddy... does happen!!!:toast_sign:

the article is written by "asia specific stafe"....

does these people has flyed the aircrafts or actually has even come close to even see it...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom