What's new

Lessons for Karachi sex workers

Interceptor

Reaction score
Lessons for Karachi sex workers

By Arman Sabir

BBC Urdu service, Karachi
Published: 2009/07/19

Zeba Raman is a 28-year-old Pakistani sex worker. Born into the profession in Karachi's red light district of Napier Road, she plies her trade all over the city.

“ I did not know that precautionary measures should be taken during sex ”
Nadia, sex worker
She is celebrating the launch of an initiative to promote health awareness among sex workers.

"We are now revealed to society," says Ms Rahman.

But prostitution remains illegal and anathema to many in Muslim-majority Pakistan. It is an ever-present fact of life, but never really acknowledged.

The last two decades, given the increasing Islamisation of Pakistani society, have further reinforced stereotypes about such women.

But the profession has only grown.

Karachi alone has at least 100,000 female sex workers, according to data gathered by local welfare organisations.

Lahore has 75,000 sex workers while the military garrison town of Rawalpindi has at least 25,000.

'Spirit of openness'

Pakistan's first workshop on health awareness among sex workers has contributed to a new spirit of openness in the profession.

"Earlier we were doing our jobs secretly, but now we can raise our voice for our rights," Ms Raman says.

“ It was very difficult to gather sex workers under one roof. Many were simply afraid of being arrested ”
Dr Ghulam Murtaza
The three-day event was recently held in Karachi by Gender & Reproductive Health Forum (GRHF) - a local social welfare organisation - in collaboration with the United Nations Fund for Population (UNFPA).

"I am very happy that a number of sex workers attended the workshop," says Ms Raman.

"This has provided us an opportunity to gather and exchange views and experiences."

She is not the only one to have benefited.

"I became a sex worker five years back," says Nadia, 26.

Nadia said that she learned about safe sex measures at the workshop.

"I had heard about HIV/Aids, but I thought that it could only be transmitted through blood transfusions.

"I did not know that precautionary measures should be taken during sex as well," she said.

Before the workshop, most of sex workers who attended did not know about measures for safe sex, Nadia added.

Dr Ghulam Murtaza is the head of the GRHF organisation and the man behind the workshop.

The man behind the workshop, GRHF head Dr Ghulam Murtaza , said the organisation was working to create awareness of safe sex among female sex workers.

"It was very difficult to gather sex workers under one roof. Many were simply afraid of being arrested," he said.

"We offered several incentives and assurances and paid them 1,000 rupees ($20) per day for their attendance," he said.

"Finally, we succeeded in gathering almost 100 sex workers at the workshop held at a local hotel".

Most of the sex workers who attended avoided the cameramen there., saying they were afraid of being exposed to their families.

Many said their husbands or family members did not know they were sex workers. They told their families that they work for private firms.

Despite these barriers, Dr Murtaza said the workshop had been successful.

"We have trained some female sex workers. They will now go to their community to create awareness among their co-workers."

'Reinvigorated'

The international participants at the workshop were of the view that Pakistan was still relatively safe as far as HIV/Aids was concerned.

“ I can now continue with my profession with more confidence ”
Zeba Raman
The UNFPA representative, Dr Safdar Kamal Pasha, said at least 100 HIV- positive sex workers had been found in central Punjab. But the number of HIV-positive women was not high among female sex workers in Pakistan.

"It can be controlled by creating awareness about the disease among sex workers and about usage of precautionary measures," he said.

The workshop was widely considered to be a success and Dr Pasha said they were considering organising a national convention for sex workers next year.

The sex workers themselves were moved by the workshop.

"Having attended the workshop, I feel reinvigorated," Zeba Raman declares.

"I can now continue with my profession with more confidence."

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Lessons for Karachi sex workers

Good topic Interceptor. Sex workers are becoming more and more open these days. Especially in Karachi, you could easily identify some of them on the streets.

we shouldnt punish the prostitutes we should rehabilitate them but i am all for punishing the men who pay for such acts. if we crack down on these individuals then i think we can get a handle on such acts.

:rofl::rofl:
The profession has been around and is possibly the oldest profession. It will not go away. Sex is like religion its always there.

If we want to crack down on prostitution several areas of trouble and concern should be examined.

1) Police corruption -often corrupt Police are facilitating the prostitution, while the government may not tax the prostitution the Police tax the Pimps who they (Police) allow to work under their protection or over sight.

2) Pimps, These scumbags must be captured and punished severely, their faces defamed, beaten, and executed. Their houses & property confiscated and sold to the highest bidder with a significant portion of that money going to charity to specifically rehabilitate and treat women.

3) Education, Education, and Education!

4) Public Maturity, it's time to be mature and not shy about this topic or it will never be solved. It is best we gain maturity and raise our young generation in this path.

5) Crack down on any remaining Red light districts.

6) Empowerment of women, increase employment opportunity, increase schools.

"I can now continue with my profession with more confidence." (From Article)

If only the Police would continue their profession with more confidence and dignity...

Last edited:
Just came back from a vacation to Pakistan, Karachi specifically ...;)

Took the words right out of my mouth agno.However, we have already had fun on this account, so lets not restart it again.
On a serious note, it remains a major problem and if not tackled in our environment, where precautions in anything is looked down upon, it has the possibility to explode into a major catastrophy.
Tackling the problem needs a shjort term and a long term strategy.In the short term, education and a chance at rehabilitation, and FREE provision of contraception and regular checkups is warranted. You can also start cracking down on the clients while specifically leaving the women alone to gain confidence.
In the long term with rehabilitation and provision of alternate means of earning, with microprojects and perhapos appropriate training, catching and punishment of the ring leaders and pimps and breaking up the actual racket that keeps these women plying their trade for fear of reprisals .
I dont think we can ever completely wipe out the oldest profession but reducing the numbers and doing our best for the society should be the aim.
my 2 Paisas worth
Araz

Took the words right out of my mouth agno.However, we have already had fun on this account, so lets not restart it again.
On a serious note, it remains a major problem and if not tackled in our environment, where precautions in anything is looked down upon, it has the possibility to explode into a major catastrophy.
Tackling the problem needs a shjort term and a long term strategy.In the short term, education and a chance at rehabilitation, and FREE provision of contraception and regular checkups is warranted. You can also start cracking down on the clients while specifically leaving the women alone to gain confidence.
In the long term with rehabilitation and provision of alternate means of earning, with microprojects and perhapos appropriate training, catching and punishment of the ring leaders and pimps and breaking up the actual racket that keeps these women plying their trade for fear of reprisals .
I dont think we can ever completely wipe out the oldest profession but reducing the numbers and doing our best for the society should be the aim.
my 2 Paisas worth
Araz

I believe it isn't caused by the lack of education but the struggle to get employment in Pakistan, there so many people in Pakistan with degrees but are forced to work as cleaner, Barbers and what not else.

This requires a lot attention I agree with you. If these women feel it is apparent that this business can offer them better pay than other jobs than it will develop into a epidemic. There is little that anyone can do to stop the upbring of this business, it rather comes with slump down in countries. Job development can provide the alternative for these women, Pakistan needs to learn a lot about gender equality and we as nation must give room to let women develop. The ill stereo typing of women is evil, damn evil they are made into such so called "haram" they aren't allowed to fight elections, have a job, to study what not more. Which is why this business booming.

Words of experience Webby?? :tsk:
Might lead to further questions ....:lol:

I knew that was coming. :cheesy:But seriously, you can identify prostitutes in Karachi (to be specific) very easily. They make themselves identified by wearing nice clothes, standing alone (acting like waiting for somebody) at an inappropriate time.. lets say at 2-3 a.m. Then they just leave as soon as the sun comes out.:lol:

I knew that was coming. :cheesy:But seriously, you can identify prostitutes in Karachi (to be specific) very easily. They make themselves identified by wearing nice clothes, standing alone (acting like waiting for somebody) at an inappropriate time.. lets say at 2-3 a.m. Then they just leave as soon as the sun comes out.:lol:
Thanks for the tip webby bhai !!

The last two decades, given the increasing Islamisation of Pakistani society, have further reinforced stereotypes about such women.
Now this is usual propaganda line for the ignorant, never ever had been any Islamist party won a single seat in whole Pakistan.
In many countries leaders are religous fanatics responsible for making religously oriented laws and some time killing populace of other religons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom