What's new

Low cost ventilator - Indigenous production - Covid-19

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am creating this thread to discuss the idea, designs and potential way to produce low cost ventilators in Pakistan. In Pakistan there are only 2000-ish ventilators, which are not enough for current epidemic. And i am afraid masses will die because of lack of ventilators.

In its simplest form, a modern positive pressure ventilator consists of a compressible air reservoir or turbine, air and oxygen supplies, a set of valves and tubes, and a disposable or reusable "patient circuit". The air reservoir is pneumatically compressed several times a minute to deliver room-air, or in most cases, an air/oxygen mixture to the patient. If a turbine is used, the turbine pushes air through the ventilator, with a flow valve adjusting pressure to meet patient-specific parameters. When over pressure is released, the patient will exhale passively due to the lungs' elasticity, the exhaled air being released usually through a one-way valve within the patient circuit called the patient manifold. Ventilators may also be equipped with monitoring and alarm systems for patient-related parameters (e.g. pressure, volume, and flow) and ventilator function (e.g. air leakage, power failure, mechanical failure), backup batteries, oxygen tanks, and remote control. The pneumatic system is nowadays often replaced by a computer-controlled turbopump.

If any of you guys have design experience, electrical/ mechanical/ programming engineering knowledge please chip in and help design low cost/ indigenous project. You can contribute to save lives. I am sharing some design ideas and a research paper for reference. It would be great to work on a design through which a ventilator can be produced via locally available materials for prototyping and eventually mass production. Also, for computing and software processing preferably if a smartphone can be integrated otherwise arduino, raspberry pi based ideas will be great.

https://web.mit.edu/2.75/projects/DMD_2010_Al_Husseini.pdf

https://blog.arduino.cc/2020/03/17/designing-a-low-cost-open-source-ventilator-with-arduino/

If windsheild wipper motors can be integrated via some gears, it's easy to find, cheap and can be integrated for mechanical part.

@waz @Major Sam @Dubious @The Eagle @Indus Pakistan @Slav Defence @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Hakikat ve Hikmet @jaibi @The Accountant @BATMAN @PakSword @WebMaster
@ghazi52 @Ghareeb_Da_Baal @Mangus Ortus Novem @Zaki @WebMaster @Aeronaut @Jungibaaz @Manticore @Chak Bamu @Emmie @blain2 @Adios Amigo @RazPaK @LoveIcon @Secur @S.U.R.B. @Abu Naser @waz @ZYXW @Umair Nawaz @Slav Defence @slapshot @Devil Soul @Zarvan @Pakistani Shaheen @raptor22 @Multani @Armstrong @rockstar08 @Jaanbaz @Aether @Informant @Marshmallow @qamar1990 @Pboy @liontk @Raja.Pakistani @Rajput_Pakistani @PWFI @Pukhtoon @Ghareeb_Da_Baal @Patriots @Pakistanisage @Mirzay @Mugwop @Durrak @A.Rafay @p(-)0ENiX @Luftwaffe @Men in Green @Mani2020 @Leader @KingMamba @Jazzbot @JonAsad @Irfan Baloch @Imran Khan @HRK @Hyperion @gentalman @Fulcrum15 @farhanalee7 @dexter @Developereo @Darth Vader @Desert Fox @Crypto@Cheetah786 @chauvunist @cb4 @Bratva @balixd @batmannow @BATMAN @AUz @Areesh @Al Bhatti @air marshal @Proudpakistaniguy @DESERT FIGHTER
@Syed.Ali.Haider aka @VCheng @Slav Defence @MOHSENAM @Malghani @Moonlight @RescueRanger @WAJsal @Foxtrot Alpha @Horus @Sugarcane @Jango

Last edited:
I am creating this thread to discuss the idea, designs and potential way to produce low cost ventilators in Pakistan. In Pakistan there are only 2000-ish ventilators, which are not enough for current epidemic. And i am afraid masses will die because of lack of ventilators.

In its simplest form, a modern positive pressure ventilator consists of a compressible air reservoir or turbine, air and oxygen supplies, a set of valves and tubes, and a disposable or reusable "patient circuit". The air reservoir is pneumatically compressed several times a minute to deliver room-air, or in most cases, an air/oxygen mixture to the patient. If a turbine is used, the turbine pushes air through the ventilator, with a flow valve adjusting pressure to meet patient-specific parameters. When over pressure is released, the patient will exhale passively due to the lungs' elasticity, the exhaled air being released usually through a one-way valve within the patient circuit called the patient manifold. Ventilators may also be equipped with monitoring and alarm systems for patient-related parameters (e.g. pressure, volume, and flow) and ventilator function (e.g. air leakage, power failure, mechanical failure), backup batteries, oxygen tanks, and remote control. The pneumatic system is nowadays often replaced by a computer-controlled turbopump.

If any of you guys have design experience, electrical/ mechanical/ programming engineering knowledge please chip in and help design low cost/ indigenous project. You can contribute to save lives. I am sharing some design ideas and a research paper for reference. It would be great to work on a design through which a ventilator can be produced via locally available materials for prototyping and eventually mass production. Also, for computing and software processing preferably if a smartphone can be integrated otherwise arduino, raspberry pi based ideas will be great.

https://blog.arduino.cc/2020/03/17/designing-a-low-cost-open-source-ventilator-with-arduino/

@waz @Major Sam @Dubious @The Eagle @Indus Pakistan @Slav Defence @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Hakikat ve Hikmet @jaibi @The Accountant @BATMAN @PakSword @WebMaster
@ghazi52 @Ghareeb_Da_Baal @Mangus Ortus Novem @Zaki @WebMaster @Aeronaut @Jungibaaz @Manticore @Chak Bamu @Emmie @blain2 @Adios Amigo @RazPaK @LoveIcon @Secur @S.U.R.B. @Abu Naser @waz @ZYXW @Umair Nawaz @Slav Defence @slapshot @Devil Soul @Zarvan @Pakistani Shaheen @raptor22 @Multani @Armstrong @rockstar08 @Jaanbaz @Aether @Informant @Marshmallow @qamar1990 @Pboy @liontk @Raja.Pakistani @Rajput_Pakistani @PWFI @Pukhtoon @Ghareeb_Da_Baal @Patriots @Pakistanisage @Mirzay @Mugwop @Durrak @A.Rafay @p(-)0ENiX @Luftwaffe @Men in Green @Mani2020 @Leader @KingMamba @Jazzbot @JonAsad @Irfan Baloch @Imran Khan @HRK @Hyperion @gentalman @Fulcrum15 @farhanalee7 @dexter @Developereo @Darth Vader @Desert Fox @Crypto@Cheetah786 @chauvunist @cb4 @Bratva @balixd @batmannow @BATMAN @AUz @Areesh @Al Bhatti @air marshal @Proudpakistaniguy @DESERT FIGHTER
@Syed.Ali.Haider aka @VCheng @Slav Defence @MOHSENAM @Malghani @Moonlight @RescueRanger @WAJsal @Foxtrot Alpha @Horus @Sugarcane
having no such technical knowledge about these things so can't say how effective the ventilator system developed by a local engineer is .... plz visit the following link--1

If windsheild wipper motors can be integrated via some gears, it's easy to find, cheap and can be integrated for mechanical part.

@Syed.Ali.Haider aka @VCheng @Slav Defence @MOHSENAM @Malghani @Moonlight @RescueRanger @WAJsal @Foxtrot Alpha @Horus @Sugarcane @Jango
Come here

We need mechanical engineers who can research and design mechanical aspects of the ventilator. i.e. pressure valves, controlling air volume and oxygen concentration.
https://chat.whatsapp.com/HWerh4SUDzHITofeUxLtZL

Problem lies with quality control and availability .
Yes, Cheaper options can be created and quickly but will you risk your loved 1s on that.
I would suggest to get a quality product from china at least with better quality and quickly

Problem lies with quality control and availability .
Yes, Cheaper options can be created and quickly but will you risk your loved 1s on that.
I would suggest to get a quality product from china at least with better quality and quickly

well even China can’t make enough ventilators for the whole world. Desperate times calls for desperate measures, sure it may increase risks but what is the alternative - besides death.

Just import from China , now is not time to invent shit the water has gone over the head as they say

• Time to import ambulances
  • Get transport helicopters
  • Transport trucks
  • Fix logistical issues

All that time has passed unfortunately

The best approach is to stay at home .... eat conservatively

Planning is done 4-5 years or 20 years in advance

The level of awareness is low in Pakistan the best thing to do is run advertisement on TV
24/7 to ask people to stay inside their homes and avoid unnecessary travel

• Corona Virus Special Quarantine centers should be setup outside the city

Last edited:
Just import from China , now is not time to invent shit the water has gone over the head as they say

• Time to import ambulances
  • Get transport helicopters
  • Transport trucks
  • Fix logistical issues

All that time has passed unfortunately

Bro, desperate times, desperate measures. It's an idea, can it work idk. Shall we try, definitely.

The problem is that whole world needs ventilators right now, i don't know the numbers medical companies are producing currently and what's the demand. So far, what i am hearing is that every country is having problem to procure ventilators. Italy have much much more resources and medical staff. They could've had imported it from china if it was that simple. Again, i don't have complete knowledge on logistical issues each country is facing but current pandemic is an unprecedented problem that we have ever seen.

• Considering we are a Textile producing nation the immediate thing could be just the mask itself

Or Pakistan can buy straight from China because no one in Pakistan is capable of even developing a fking screw on its own!
My sentiments exactly. Here in UK Prime Minister Johnson apealled yesterday for increased production of ventilators. Today dozens of people have answered the call. from F1 Mclaren racing team to hoover/vacuam manufactuers to small companies. Figures like 2,000 ventilators a day are now about to be hit. That means within weeks the country will have 10,000s of ventilators. All this is possible because even within a small country like UK they have the men [women] in large numbers who have the education, knowledge and skills to at a drop of the hat make ventilators in huge numbers. All this points to quality manpower within the country produced by a quality secular, secular education.

Now compare Pakistan. A country with four times greater population. So we have huge manpower. But what fcukin good are they? Besides giving fatwas, religious mumbo jumbo, million Quran hafiz, ten million madaris graduates, heap load of bullshat. Right no no fcukin dail a mullah or any mullah can help. Science, modern engineering and skills that are cornerstone of secular West and athiest China is what going to save the world.

If only our people realised this and began to re-configure Pakistan society toward the future so in a generation we too have a modern society.

Now compare Pakistan. A country with four times greater population

Pakistani diaspora including you, me and lots others are very successful in their second countries in their personal capacities. And there are number of professionals, Pakistan trained, working in west. And being a professional myself, worked in number of places from hospitals to academia. I can tell you from experience that Pakistani students and professionals are one of the best i have ever seen and this is without any bias. It's a ventilator not a space shuttle, if enough people chip in and with little will and help we can make it in days if not hours.

Pakistan needs more of these ...

16515387_16490073.jpg

Not these ..

islamabad-pakistan-pakistani-female-students-of-a-hardline-islamist-picture-id74385510

Indian students are working on manufacturing 20k ventilators. I hope we can do something.

My sentiments exactly. Here in UK Prime Minister Johnson apealled yesterday for increased production of ventilators. Today dozens of people have answered the call. from F1 Mclaren racing team to hoover/vacuam manufactuers to small companies. Figures like 2,000 ventilators a day are now about to be hit. That means within weeks the country will have 10,000s of ventilators. All this is possible because even within a small country like UK they have the men [women] in large numbers who have the education, knowledge and skills to at a drop of the hat make ventilators in huge numbers. All this points to quality manpower within the country produced by a quality secular, secular education.

Now compare Pakistan. A country with four times greater population. So we have huge manpower. But what fcukin good are they? Besides giving fatwas, religious mumbo jumbo, million Quran hafiz, ten million madaris graduates, heap load of bullshat. Right no no fcukin dail a mullah or any mullah can help. Science, modern engineering and skills that are cornerstone of secular West and athiest China is what going to save the world.

If only our people realised this and began to re-configure Pakistan society toward the future so in a generation we too have a modern society.
China can't provide alot of them so quickly

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom