What's new

'Magnificent' Mary wins, assured of a medal

Kesang

Reaction score
Country
India
MC_Mary_Kom_main_final.jpg

London, Aug 6: "Magnificent" Mary Kom assured herself of a medal when she reached the semi-finals of the women's fly 51kg category at the London Olympics2012 here on Monday.
The five-time world champion from India, defeated her Tunisian opponent Maroua Rahali 15-6 in the quarter-finals at the ExCeL South Arena 2. Women's boxing is making its debut in Olympics. The losers of both semi-finals will be awarded bronze medals. So Mary is sure of a medal. However, she is capable of going all the way to the gold.
The 29-year-old Mary was yet again on top of her performance as she outclassed her rival. She had 2, 3, 6 and 4points respectively in the four rounds. Rahale had 1, 2, 1 and 2 points.
Mary is the third Indian woman to securean Olympic medal after Karnam Malleswari (2000 Sydney, bronze) and Saina Nehwal (bronze London Olympics 2012).
Earlier, Mary had won her Round of 16 bout against Poland's Karolina Michalczuk 19-14 on Sunday.
She had described that win as an"emotional moment" as it came on her twin sons' fifth birthday.
"It is an emotional moment for me as today is my sons' fifth birthday. I am not there to celebrate because I am fighting in the ring. I am looking forward to being with them as this is important," she had said.
"The Polish girl is very strong, but she is alittle bit weak technically. If she was goodtechnically no-one could beat her. I beat her because of my experience. I can move back and slip a little bit," she explained. On being at the London 2012 Olympic Games, she said.
"The Olympics are very special. Every athlete works to play at the Olympic Games. This is my 12th year of fighting and I came back out of retirement and changed my weight because I had to take part in the Olympic Games. Luckily, I qualified and today I won."
India's coach Gurbakhsh Singh Sandhu had said: "It is a very big day for Indian boxing. She boxed intelligently with goodfootwork and was scoring and moving."

I hope she'll Bring a Gold For US... Best Of Luck & Always Keep The Indian Flag High....

That was an absolute carnage of that lil tunisian girl, especially the third round.

Anyway I think she is a Gold medal.

I rate Kom equal or higher than saina.

She is 29 and a mother of 2, still she has given it all for our country. I congratulate her American coach too even though he is not present.

I salute her !!!

I won't be satisfied with something less than gold from a boxer like her...
she is 5 times world champion...:cheers:

She is an icon man! Just that the media does not cover an athlete like her, who is not fashion concious or media savvy. 5 time world champion! Very very few Indian sportsmen can even come close to that. Magnificient indeed!

Back
Top Bottom