What's new

Majority of Pakistanis for 'Islamisation' of society: Poll

I would prefer a secular model for Pakistan myself; but I can see why others would not want that, while rejecting extremism & terrorism as well. It is a complicated problem, which went from a charm to a curse over time. One should not be simplistic or generalize on this issue, this is an issue that needs to be looked deeply at: at its history, its present, its future; as it relates to the very existence of Pakistan.

I think the beauty of Shariah Law was exhibited when Taliban took over Swat. The people of Swat especially women and minorities were coming on TV and praising it.

Lol Pakistanis need to grow up and realize that mixing religion with politics isn't going to take them anywhere.

I think the beauty of Shariah Law was exhibited when Taliban took over Swat. The people of Swat especially women and minorities were coming on TV and praising it.

Lol Pakistanis need to grow up and realize that mixing religion with politics isn't going to take them anywhere.

The thing with a lot of Pakistanis is that they want something so blindly that they don't sit back and consider the consequences. People in Pakistan were dying to have "democracy" ( not that there is anything wrong with wanting democracy) and getting rid of Musharraf but instead of getting someone better then Musharraf they got someone who is a billion times worse: PPP and Zardari. Everyone knows that if Islamisation does come into Pakistan it won't be the true and right kind of Islam, but the Saudi Arabia/Taliban type of Islam.

Iin my entire life no survey has approached me nor i have ever heard or know any one saying some one aproached them for a survey , is there any one on PDF who have ever been aproached by a surveying company!!!???

If we were to keep this boll*cks survey aside for a minute and assume if majority wants shariah and islamic laws , which sects shariah its going to be if i am not wrong there are about 72 different sects. If our islamists are so keen to implement sharia i will advice them to first sit toghether and work out a a common agenda or sharia laws which are acceptable to all . which is clearly is never ever possible !!!

The thing with a lot of Pakistanis is that they want something so blindly that they don't sit back and consider the consequences. People in Pakistan were dying to have "democracy" ( not that there is anything wrong with wanting democracy) and getting rid of Musharraf but instead of getting someone better then Musharraf they got someone who is a billion times worse: PPP and Zardari. Everyone knows that if Islamisation does come into Pakistan it won't be the true and right kind of Islam, but the Saudi Arabia/Taliban type of Islam.

The reality is quiet contrary, if you will ask some Pakistani (muslim), that do you want Islamisation? he might have said 'Yes' keeping in mind that being muslim answer should be in affirmative. Otherwise his answer would be NO, as he is in need of Roti, Kapra and Makaan first.

Now, who will decide what the 'true and right kind' of Islam is? How many school of thoughts we have? and every one has got proper justifications for their respective beliefs accordingly everyone has got their own definition of 'Islamisaton. He we have seen people calling each other Kaafir, do you expect they would agree on one point? Never.

We are already having 'hanafi law' and 'shia law' for shariah decisions, by Islamisation do we mean having 50 / 60 further laws?

I think we have enough 'Islamisation', we are Pakistani First then Muslim, Hindu, Christian etc. Our constitution says as follows:

31.Islamic way of life.
(1) Steps shall be taken to enable the Muslims of Pakistan, individually and collectively, to order their lives in accordance with the fundamental principles and basic concepts of Islam and to provide facilities whereby they may be enabled to understand the meaning of life according to the Holy Quran and Sunnah.
(2) The state shall endeavour, as respects the Muslims of Pakistan, :
(a) to make the teaching of the Holy Quran and Islamiat compulsory, to encourage and facilitate the learning of Arabic language and to secure correct and exact printing and publishing of the Holy Quran;
(b) to promote unity and the observance of the Islamic moral standards; and
(c) to secure the proper organisation of zakat, [17][ushr,] auqaf and mosques.

I think that is enough.

Whats wrong with an islamic society? Are u guys mistaking it with the......... talibans homemade laws .................Or the fake concocted brand of sharia introduced by saudi Monarchy to save their rule ......................................sharia law introduced by God through his Prophet Mohammad SAW?is the best code of life out there..................
Heck.............How much do you guys even know about sharia law? except some girl getting whipped by f....g terrorists? which itself is a violation of the sharia law.

LOL @ U!

Muslims first, Pakistani distant second say majority: Gallup poll

A majority of Pakistanis identify themselves as Muslims first, Pakistani second, a recent Gilani Poll conducted by Gallup Pakistan revealed.

In a survey, a nationally representative sample of men and women from across the country were asked the following question:

Different people choose to identify themselves differently. What do you consider yourself to be, first and foremost?

The results of the poll showed that a significant majority of Pakistanis (59 per cent) choose to identify themselves as Muslims first.

A little less than a quarter of the population (22 per cent) considers being Pakistani as its primary identity, while 10 per cent put their provincial identity first and seven per cent chose to identify themselves as human beings first.

Results also revealed that a greater percentage of respondents belonging to lower income categories and young age groups identified themselves primarily as Muslims as compared to those belonging to higher income categories and older age groups.

The survey was carried out among a sample of 2,774 men and women in rural and urban areas of all four provinces of the country, during April 2011.

Error margin was estimated to be approximately 2-3 per cent at 95% confidence level.

This part is quite disturbing

A little less than a quarter of the population (22 per cent) considers being Pakistani as its primary identity, while 10 per cent put their provincial identity first

Pakistan & Islam are not separate identities though, Pakistan is the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Which makes this poll completely irrelevant, because Pakistanis are happy with being Pakistanis, & consider it their primary identity, as Pakistan to them is intertwined with Islam. I think the fact that only 10% put their provincial identity first shows how homogenized the Pakistani society is, & very free from ethnic separatism. If you ask Indian Muslims the same question, you will be surprised how many Indian Muslims would respond in a similar manner. Besides the few secular Indian Muslims, almost all the other Muslims will give similar responses to that of Pakistani Muslims. Islam & the Muslim 'Ummah' transcends national boundaries. Islam is different from other religions in the sense that it not only advocates faith, but is also a means/code of life, on how to live. It has its set of 'requirements' for that, which makes it different from other religions. Me, I am a Pakistani humanist first, Muslim second, Shia third, Urdu speaking 'Mohajir' fourth. This doesn't mean I give less credence to my Muslim identity, it is my main identity: it's just that I would consider non-Muslim Pakistanis as equals to me in every sense (meaning they should be constitutionally allowed to do 'un-Islamic' things, & have the full rights of doing or being everything I can, such as the president or PM of the country), as they are Pakistanis. Being Muslim is my individual identity, it is a personal matter, not a 'collective' identity.

This the common question taught to class 1 children in Islamic studies.
Q.Hum Kia Hain
A.Hum Musalman hain.

But its true that most of Pakistanis prefer Islam over Pakistan.I personally is first PAkistani then anything else.:pakistan:

Is Islamic studies a compulsory subject?
Are there no minorities studding in Pakistani schools?..if yes..how do the answer this question?

This the common question taught to class 1 children in Islamic studies.
Q.Hum Kia Hain
A.Hum Musalman hain.

But its true that most of Pakistanis prefer Islam over Pakistan.I personally is first PAkistani then anything else.:pakistan:

the two identities are not opposite, but rather one and same for most of us.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom