What's new

Metro creates Traffic jams in Lahore !

Piyar say bulaaya tum bura maan ga-aaay

Common friend.

It is a bus off course, but it is ours and we can call it metro. So what. Does it change in thing.

Common join in the celebration. join in the high fiving. it won't hurt you. I bet it won't hurt you.

It's like BRT system. I'm not against pakistanis calling it metro at all. Call it whatever, I was just curious. I guess congrats on getting BRT :tup: It's good development...

discipline dose play a very large part in averting traffic jams and rapid transportation. I have been in Mumbai for so long that following the traffic rules had become second nature to me, but when u travel down to a tier II city u see a lot of people openly flouting traffic norms, result, mega road blocks. And if someone has to stand in 40 deg Celsius heat in the middle of the day, but obvious they won't follow any rules and further flouting the rules and end up clogging up a working stream of traffic.

Yes planning also affects the fact whether the traffic jams will be slow moving or just plain stuck.

The disaster they made is they should have made it all on bridges not on level with roads that is what is causing problem

Such things happens when political factor is considered in completion of and project...
here bus service was started before the completion of project because of political purposes...
till now work on some roads is underway...:coffee:
well allz would be ok after completion of whole project....
atleast the traffic jam would not be due to metro bus....
ab Lahore ki roads pe koi murgi bi marrey ge to political parties metro bus ko blame karrain gee....:rofl:

Us Karachi-ites will do better than the Lahoris. InshaAllah.

Karchi walay will prove that our planning is much much better than the guys up North.

peace

p.s. Time to start a "friendly" rivalry that will lead to mutual development.

time to focus on other cities !

Why do pakistanis call it Metro? It's just a bus

Metro is just short for 'metropolitan', meaning 'of the city'.

The name metro for underground subway is probably because of the Paris subway which is called the metro. In the US. it is usually called the subway, in continental Europe it is called the metro, in London it is called the tube, etc.

Anyway, Lahore (and Karachi) should probably start programs similar to Rome and Mexico City's, etc. where private cars are only allowed to travel on certain days. It will reduce congestion, smog, and increase ridership on public transport.

There is some flaw in planning, but nevertheless, i see good light. What happens when people are stuck in traffic ? DUH people are forced to use 'Metro' to get to their destination faster. This is the beginning phase to promote public transport. So let me get this straight. Let us suppose there were no flyovers and underpasses. Would that help in any cause ? No People would be stuck in traffic even more on smaller roads. Remember this is a city of 10 million bachoo.

[video]http://tune.pk/video/38134/I-am-Shivering-after-watching-this-videoShahbaz-Sharif-khuda-ka-khoof-kuro-[/video]

Metro is just short for 'metropolitan', meaning 'of the city'.

The name metro for underground subway is probably because of the Paris subway which is called the metro. In the US. it is usually called the subway, in continental Europe it is called the metro, in London it is called the tube, etc.

Anyway, Lahore (and Karachi) should probably start programs similar to Rome and Mexico City's, etc. where private cars are only allowed to travel on certain days. It will reduce congestion, smog, and increase ridership on public transport.

India uses the name Metro for its subway system as well.

Massive traffic jam at Azadi Chowk

City witnessed a massive traffic jam at various roads here on Thursday due to which people had to face immense problems.

A large number of vechicles were seen stuck in mess at Azadi Chowk, Ferozepur Road and Jail road.

The gridlock at the above mentioned roads also effected traffic at The Mall, Lower Mall, Lawrence Road, Baati Chowk and other link roads.

Traffic wardens were seen helpless how to control traffic mess and regulate.
People from all walks of life demanded the provincial government to take notice of traffic jam and take steps for improving the situation. (APP)

Massive traffic jam at Azadi Chowk - thenews.com.pk

[video]http://tune.pk/video/38134/I-am-Shivering-after-watching-this-videoShahbaz-Sharif-khuda-ka-khoof-kuro-[/video]

yar im speechless...... this is so horrible !!

Hindu lobby is running anti development propaganda.
Ah! I was just waiting for the trolls to waft in! WTF have 'Hindus' gotta do with your traffic jams? :angry:

On topic. Here's Lahore BRT Design Simulation. So what went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the bus system of Metro like Mumbai Metro?

In my city, they have put sensors on the Squares (One I am confirmed) where major traffic occurs. It changes Traffic lights according to the traffic from one side.

We don't have to stop for 60 secs where there are 10 vehicles and same 60 seconds for 40 vehicles.

Time stoppage is variable according traffic density and the direction of traffic.

That's good. tell us more about this sensors.

Lahore authorities should install such sensors in Traffic prone areas in Lahore

Is this the bus system of Metro like Mumbai Metro?
Don't know much. Heard about it for One square. Don't know about rest. Observed iit closely and found that during rush hours, the system was effective.

In-pavement detectors

These detectors are buried in or under the roadway. Inductive Detector loops are the most common type. They are sensors buried in the road to detect the presence of traffic waiting at the light, and thus can reduce the time when a green signal is given to an empty road. A timer is frequently used as a default during times of very low traffic density and as a backup in case the sensors fail. The sensor loops typically work in the same fashion as metal detectors. Consequently small vehicles and bicycles or vehicles with low metal content may fail to be detected causing them to wait indefinitely unless there is also a default timer as part of the control system

Traffic light control and coordination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Area Traffic Control System (ATCS) is an indigenous solution for Indian Road Traffic, which optimizes traffic signal, covering a set of roads for an area in a city. It is an intelligent traffic signal control system that use data from vehicle detectors and optimize traffic signal settings in an area to reduce vehicle delays and stops.

The control system operates in real time with a capacity to calculate optimal cycle time, and feeds input to traffic signal controllers with a different set of stage timings. The timing plans of traffic controller change automatically to reduce stoppage time, which in turn reduces overall journey time.

The road traffic controllers can be connected to ATCS server through managed leased line network. Thus traffic monitoring over an area can be made possible from a central location. The system facilitates storing of traffic data for individual junctions over a period of days, including traffic pattern during peak hours, which enables traffic engineers to view and analyzing the same.

The original technology on ATCS was developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC, Thiruvananthapuram), WML is manufacturing the same and have supplied more than 200 controllers in cities such as Pune, Jaipur, and Ahmedabad. The system supplied so far is working satisfactorily at different environmental condition and hence filed proven.

The function of the Vehicle Detector is to identify the presence or passage of vehicles and provide input for traffic actuated signal control systems. Different types of vehicle detectors are currently available, but among them, the most popular and economical one is the conventional inductive loop vehicle detectors.

The sensor loop is embedded on the pavement consisting of one or more turns of wire. Metallic parts of the vehicle resting or passing over the sensor loop will unbalance the tuned circuit (detector local oscillator) resulting in detection. The size, shape, and configuration of the loop vary considerably depending upon the specific application. The loop sensors, vehicle detectors together with control electronics sense the traffic load at the junction.

Urban Traffic Control System

Don't know about Lahore, but such systems are installed in Islamabad and a fair few traffic signals.

That's most idiotic thing - now how one well make underpass/flyover? you need alternate routes and these buses can't turn as per wish.

They say when Disney Paris first opened.... nothing worked.... in any case, it's our nature to shoot our self in the foot.
The choice of alternative routes was impractical, however credit goes to the planners to utilise the available facilities as much as possible. Just to give you an idea how things can go pear shape....the construction for Scottish parliament building was initially budgeted at some £40 million.....forgetting the time lapse, the eventual cost soared to some £460 million.....come the first rain and the fancy ceiling started dripping and weed started growing out of roofs. And we are talking about a stationary building ...much less to say about a project spread all over the city. !!

Back
Top Bottom